Graphite Design Tour AD VF Shafts

I keep thinking about this shaft.

I keep thinking about this shaft.
haha me too. i’m curious about it for driver. something a little more stable across the length.

Dang Tiger. 😉
I actually began really wanting to try it after watching a Club Champion video. I noted that both Ian and Mike are playing it. Plus, I have always had a lot of success with Graphite Design shafts.

I pulled the trigger.

Has Graphite Design ever been involved with a THP experience?

GD makes a phenomenal shaft
Yeah, I have a full set in my irons, an HD in my 3 wood and several driver shafts. I love their smooth feel.

Details! Did you go for fitting or self fit?
It’s another crazy experiment, done without being fit. As I age, I am finding that lighter shafts are a way to combat loss of speed. I am now playing graphite shafts in my irons that weigh 89 grams. I put an AutoFlex shaft in my driver and had a LOT of success with it. The problem with most of the lighter shafts is that my dispersion goes up. I don’t know why the AutoFlex has worked for me, because usually, if the tip of the shaft is soft, I tend to have a high right, spinny miss that is no bueno.

I did quite a bit of research and the VF has the stiffest tip of any of the Graphite Design offerings. Some people that normally play driver shafts in the 60 to 70 gram weight class have done really well with the 5S in the VF, which is 56.5 grams. So, my experiment is to move down into the 4S, which weighs only 47 grams, but still has that very stiff tip section.

I can’t remember seeing any other shaft offering for a driver that is below 50 grams, but still has the very stiff tip. I worry a bit about whether the club will now be too light and I will lose it in my swing, but one of the reviewers said that the weight profile of the VF was tip heavy and he was surprised at the swing weight of his TSR3 head with the 5S. I will be putting it into a TSR3 as well, so the experiment is on.

If I would have gone to get fit, I likely would have paid $100 or so, just to see if the 4S works, so I am going to risk it, based on my thought process above. My AutoFlex shaft is giving me average spin of around 2600. If this shaft would knock that down a couple hundred RPMs, I might be able to squeeze a few more yards out on my drives. We’ll see. It is not the end of the world if it doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Different color way than we’re used to but I like it. Nice to see another your profile shaft come on the market.

I’ve only ever tried the BB-6 but I really enjoyed my time with it

I very much would like to dabble with this shaft.

Just waiting for my Ventus TR Blue to act a fool to push me over the edge.

I very much would like to dabble with this shaft.

Just waiting for my Ventus TR Blue to act a fool to push me over the edge.
I like your philosophy, as it aligns with my own. If something that was working stops working, it 100% is true equipment acting up.

IMG_6330.jpegIMG_6331.jpegIMG_6332.jpegI am super excited to put this up against the AutoFlex that I used for the last third of the season in my TSR3. The 4 S is 48 grams. If it is still a stable, low spin shaft in that weight category, it will get me down into the same weight range as the AutoFlex. I have been a bit surprised that the spin on the AutoFlex is higher on TrackMan than what it looked to my eye out on the course. My hope is that this VF shaft will give me some of the same club speed benefits, while lowering the spin, relative to the AutoFlex.

I’m a big fan of Graphite Design after putting a AD XC-7 in my Callaway Utility Wood. Definitely launches lower which I love. Big difference in the XC vs VF is the butt section. I’ve had better success with softer butt sections. I’m curious if the VF will give me a bit better dispersion though. Might have to try and find the shaft on the new UW.

This shaft is a super good fit for me. I was seeing ball speeds up a little over 150, which I haven’t seen on TrackMan for a while. The spin window was 2200 to 2600, perfect, because I launch with a nice positive angle of attack. I am really looking forward to getting it out on a course. It could be awhile, though. Winter has us in its icy grip.

This shaft is a super good fit for me. I was seeing ball speeds up a little over 150, which I haven’t seen on TrackMan for a while. The spin window was 2200 to 2600, perfect, because I launch with a nice positive angle of attack. I am really looking forward to getting it out on a course. It could be awhile, though. Winter has us in its icy grip.
Sounds really promising! I wish I could just trade my UB in for a VF. 😃

How was your dispersion?

How was your dispersion?
I was missing a few right, but it was a one way miss. I played a sim round after hitting some balls and hit 9/13 fairways. I think it is going to be really good, but I won’t know for sure until I can get out for some real golf.

I was missing a few right, but it was a one way miss. I played a sim round after hitting some balls and hit 9/13 fairways. I think it is going to be really good, but I won’t know for sure until I can get out for some real golf.
Interesting, keep us posted. I play an AD DI 6s and I average 265 yards total roll out. I had a knee procedure just before Thanksgiving in my lead knee so I‘m hoping I’ll have a better driving year this coming season but I’m not against change to make it happen. I can’t imagine another shaft over the DI though, its so buttery smooth

Interesting, keep us posted. I play an AD DI 6s and I average 265 yards total roll out. I had a knee procedure just before Thanksgiving in my lead knee so I‘m hoping I’ll have a better driving year this coming season but I’m not against change to make it happen. I can’t imagine another shaft over the DI though, its so buttery smooth
Somehow all of the Graphite Design shafts feel smooth. I have them in my driver, 3 wood and irons.

Somehow all of the Graphite Design shafts feel smooth. I have them in my driver, 3 wood and irons.
I didn’t know they had iron shafts haha

IMG_6333.jpeg

I have not seen 1.5 smash for some time. This shaft has definitely increased my efficiency by a few points on average.

View attachment 9236164

I have not seen 1.5 smash for some time. This shaft has definitely increased my efficiency by a few points on average.
I’m surprised your carry isn’t longer with that speed and smash…or maybe I’m confused and missing something.

I’m surprised your carry isn’t longer with that speed and smash…or maybe I’m confused and missing something.
I don’t know. To me, pushing 240 carry is about what I expect on good strikes.

Back