Templet0n

washed...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
snow..
I know this can be a Hot button issue and polarized but I think it could create some interesting discussion.

please remember to be respectful to each other here.

Personally. I am not sure it is the job of the pga to help players with any kind of personal issues. Maybe I am wrong.

I was just reading this article. Sounds like he has some demons that he needs to get rid of. You here a lot about pro athletes having sports psychologists and sounds like he is in need of some help in that area.
Hopefully he can find some help.

No ones job should be expected to alleviate someone’s addiction and mental health issues. Friends and family should help him through it.

No ones job should be expected to alleviate someone’s addiction and mental health issues. Friends and family should help him through it.

I could see the PGA saying “here are some resources, see what works for you”. After that, your kinda on your own.

I will also say, in many ways it seems the pga in the past has done many things to protect players reputations. There was the allegations of DJ being suspended due to substance abuse, but they said he was injured or taking a leave. But I heard it from a few places he was on suspension but they didn’t want to announce it.

that seems counter productive to getting people help. If true.

It sounds like he’s both angry and not ready to take responsibility for his issues. There’s a lot of hostility there and it’s hard to tell whether it’s warranted or not without knowing more.

I’d hope the PGA Tour would have resources available for the players and would make them aware of them. Beyond that, it’s not their responsibility to nursemaid them, it’s up to the player to use those resources.

My employer had a program called EAP (Employee Assistance Program) available to us for a variety of behavioral/psychiatric issues. We were made well aware of its existence and the contact info was posted in various places around the offices. It was up to the employees to access and utilize it, and it was completely confidential - the employer was not even notified that you were using it (which is optimal, IMO). They made it available, but it was up to you to seek it out and make use of it.

I could see the PGA saying “here are some resources, see what works for you”. After that, your kinda on your own.

I will also say, in many ways it seems the pga in the past has done many things to protect players reputations. There was the allegations of DJ being suspended due to substance abuse, but they said he was injured or taking a leave. But I heard it from a few places he was on suspension but they didn’t want to announce it.

that seems counter productive to getting people help. If true.
The PGA doesn't announce anyone's suspensions or fines. If they come out it's because the player breaks it or it gets leaked.

As I understand it, players are basically independent contractors. Maybe they could give him a medical exemption, but ultimately the responsibility is his...and he needs to take ownership of his alcoholism. No one can cure him of it...only he can do that.

Addiction is a helluva thing.

Didn’t Chris Kirk have a similar situation recently with this very same issue. He chose to take leave and get help to then get back on tour. Seems like Murray has a example to follow if he chooses but I don’t care for how he came off as if it was the tours responsibility to see to it he is getting the treatment and not his own.

He is an independent contractor, the Tour is giving him an opportunity to make a living. If he has a problem, he needs to address it.

The PGA Tour does well in hiding the truth about their darlings. The others must fend on their own. Being on the road continuously is so difficult to deal with. Whether it is the Tour reaching out with a helping hand or it is you and your close network.....if you have an addiction....you must drop out and seek help.

Judging by a few of his most recent tweets, he's still getting loaded. I have been there - alcoholism is a tough nut to crack. When you've got money (I'm guessing he's got a few bucks) you can sit around and do whatever you want. Hopefully the guy can come back and be a better human.

(PS I get his frustration with Na but it's not a good look for him right now).

If we put addiction aside for a moment and we look at what each player goes through it's pretty "rough".

With the advent of social media (good/bad/ugly/other) it has become VERY simple for anybody to post their thoughts and opinions on any subject. Anybody who is famous is under a lot more scrutiny than a "normal person". They are constantly in the lime light. Everything the say and do is being closely watched. It's hard for them to be normal. Tour pros are expected to be elite day in and day out. There is constant pressure on them to perform by their sponsors, their wallets and social media just to name a few.

All of these things can be triggers for underlying issues (addiction is just one of them).

Obviously they picked their path and the knew going into their careers what was expected. It doesn't make it any easier.

I hope he gets the help he needs, or anybody who is suffering addition or other vices.

Judging by a few of his most recent tweets, he's still getting loaded. I have been there - alcoholism is a tough nut to crack. When you've got money (I'm guessing he's got a few bucks) you can sit around and do whatever you want. Hopefully the guy can come back and be a better human.

(PS I get his frustration with Na but it's not a good look for him right now).

I heard Kevin Na's interview about this on Gravy & the Sleeze Monday and it was pretty funny

If we put addiction aside for a moment and we look at what each player goes through it's pretty "rough".

With the advent of social media (good/bad/ugly/other) it has become VERY simple for anybody to post their thoughts and opinions on any subject. Anybody who is famous is under a lot more scrutiny than a "normal person". They are constantly in the lime light. Everything the say and do is being closely watched. It's hard for them to be normal. Tour pros are expected to be elite day in and day out. There is constant pressure on them to perform by their sponsors, their wallets and social media just to name a few.

All of these things can be triggers for underlying issues (addiction is just one of them).

Obviously they picked their path and the knew going into their careers what was expected. It doesn't make it any easier.

I hope he gets the help he needs, or anybody who is suffering addition or other vices.
Social media is such a double-edged sword for public figures. On one hand they pretty much need it nowadays to fuel their popularity and be relevant, but if they pay any attention to it at all, it exposes them to a very dark, cruel, toxic side of humanity. That certainly can't be helpful to somebody who's struggling with other issues. Not saying that it's an excuse for their actions, just that it's one more negative influence when they already have other negativity going on.

Don’t involve myself in social media , only this site , ( with relevance to subject matter and also like minded individuals being the collective ) no face book or other sites,,, don’t feel the need to, have 15 friends tell me how wonderful the dinner I ate is ….

Have a problem if you need social media reinforcement either good or bad , or by influencers etc to tell you what to do or need or require that as fundamental in life. The world somehow survived before it and was far more resilient and patient. Now people crumble at a simple defriending for example

Yes their are those who have issues that may have wanted to be kept private etc, but when you accept sponsorship dollars and offer your profile and commentary as well as be largely public figure in a very select group of people , that scrutinised in multiple forms, Not sure you can shield and filter yourself.

You either , engage in it knowing your life will be magnified but accept the benefits of it .. including financial , and or not engage and accept that level.

All that recent commentary is nothing about the , promotion of the game or value add , just a individual duel , nothing learned or admired just trivial and trite rubbish, that no one wins from.

Back