Greatest sports moment

Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What has been the greatest sports moment in your lifetime. For me it was the US hockey team beating the Russians in 1980
8DA690E1-CDF8-4F57-BF79-FCFA0186B7EB.jpeg

46 year old Jack Nicklaus 1986 Masters victory.

That was a great moment! I remember driving around in a friends car listening to it on the radio. We couldn’t believe it!
That was the greatest moment for me as well until 2016 when Chicago Cubs won the World Series! My hope was one day that my son would witness that event.I never dreamed I would be able to share it with him! That’s what makes it so memorable to me!

Individual sport - Jack in 86 at the Masters is the greatest but Crenshaw in 95 gets me in the feels.

Team sport - I can’t think of anything more than beating the Russians in 80 to play for and then win the gold.

The two moments that come to my head and I saw are Tiger’s win at the Masters in 97 and Laettner’s amazing last second shot to send Duke to the NCAA finals over Kentucky in 92.

Of course my favorite all-time sports moment was the sack fumble caused by Brandon Graham on Brady to give the Eagles their first Super Bowl win.

Laettner’s amazing last second shot to send Duke to the NCAA finals over Kentucky in 92.
People hate that one, but it was an amazing shot and will always be top 10 IMO. Top 3 for me being a DUKE fan.

Crosby’s OT goal to win Olympic Gold on home soil.

What has been the greatest sports moment in your lifetime. For me it was the US hockey team beating the Russians in 1980
View attachment 8928760
There are so many. I remember that day and have to agree with you. We never imagined even being in that game let alone winning it.

1. Miracle On Ice
2. The Play (Cal with # laterals to beat Stanford)
3. Gibson home run off Eckersley in the World Series
4. Tiger Woods winning the 2019 Masters

These are my favorites, not the greatest :)

1. Tito Trinidad beating Oscar De La Hoya (although I thought it was a tie but still)

2. Brandon Graham strip sack of Brady

3. Monica Puig winning a gold medal

4. PR basketball team handing the Dream Team its first loss in the Olympics

The two moments that come to my head and I saw are Tiger’s win at the Masters in 97 and Laettner’s amazing last second shot to send Duke to the NCAA finals over Kentucky in 92.

Of course my favorite all-time sports moment was the sack fumble caused by Brandon Graham on Brady to give the Eagles their first Super Bowl win.
Remember all the Graham hate early in his career? Earl Thomas and JPP comparisons?

A lot of great memories shared....I'll add another worth consideration...Franco Harris Immaculate reception...

Miracle on Ice
On a personal level, the 2004 Boston Red Sox World Series win after 86 years of no titles.
Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson

Although nobody will agree, my greatest 2 golf moments occurred in 2019. The Women's British Open and Solheim Cup were incredibly riveting to me.

Could go on and on. The greatest thing about sports is the unscripted amazing drama it brings us quite often.

Tiger winning the Masters last year was an epic moment for me as a fan. Not gonna lie, but the feels were like nothing I can recall watching any other sporting event.

I'm a Pittsburgh sports fan, and my list shows it.
  • MIracle on Ice.
  • The Immaculate Reception.
  • Mazeroski's homer to win the 1960 World Series. The Yanquis set a record that still stands for most runs scored in a Series - and they lost. Technically although I was alive, I was too young to remember.
  • Nicklaus winning the 1986 Masters at 46.
Aside - if you haven't been to Lake Placid, go. An amazing little place, the likes of which the Winter Olympics will probably never see again.

The best moments came when I was a kid and was still innocent and naive because the emotions are so raw and authentic.

Most exciting and worst moments but most emotional.

1966 NFL Championship - Inside 10 yard line, Meredith throws INT in end zone and Packers win in last moments - 34-27.

Darn NFL - won't show it - but click on youtube link and it goes straight to it. History.

1967 Ice Bowl - Bart Starr on a frozen field in the last minute and my Cows and Landry suffer.

Think I cried both times - was 11-12 yrd old.

1969 - Cows robbed of SB win by Colts. I was angry -- Refs sucked on that one.

And the Best because it was the first

Cows win in '71 - mauling Dolphins 24-7 and Bob Lilly sacks Griese for a 30 yard loss, chasing him backwards and corraling him -

Like I said, most poignant moments for me are when I was young. Now I take it all in stride. I enjoyed being innocent and naive.

Finally. one of the most dramatic, because I really did not like the Vikings and they benefitted from a bad call - THE HAIL MARY (go to 1:40) I still smile about this... NFL won't allow it but click on youtube link and it shows up.

Last edited:
That was a great moment! I remember driving around in a friends car listening to it on the radio. We couldn’t believe it!
That was the greatest moment for me as well until 2016 when Chicago Cubs won the World Series! My hope was one day that my son would witness that event.I never dreamed I would be able to share it with him! That’s what makes it so memorable to me!
One of my favorite sports moments happened in Game 7 of that series when Rajai Davis hit the game tying home run off Chapman. Still get chills to this day. Even though they didnt win it all, that is a moment I will always remember!

I have 2 different Greatest sports moments, 1 in person and 1 not in person.

The in person was the Minneapolis Miracle. The morning of I kept looking at tickets and just felt like I had to be there for that game. So we made our way downtown Minneapolis and bought tickets. It was amazing. A pic shortly after the GW touchdown!

1B270C68-9408-4EC9-9A43-0292D7123D65.jpeg
Game 6 of the 1991 World Series is one I will always remember as well. I was at my parents’ restaurant and bar cheering when Kirby Puckett hit a home run to send it to game 7. My best friend’s dad stumbled over a chair jumping up and down and took me out. The last major championship for the Twin Cities!

I also remember this moment very well! I got in trouble for writing Duke Sucks on our huge banner bracket at our restaurant/bar. My mom wasn’t impressed that 10 year old Matt did that!

The two greatest that I remember are the Stephane Matteau double overtime goal in game seven of the 1994 Eastern Conference Finals, sending the Rangers to play for the Stanley Cup, and the Mookie Wilson grounder that went through Buckner's legs in game 6 of the 1986 World Series.

Although not a greatest moment in sports, there was the amazing 5OT hockey game of Flyers vs Penguins in game 4 of Eastern a Conference finals. Flyers winning in 5th overtime 2-1 when Primeau scored.

Lots of great moments out there for sure. Keep em coming.

Dale Earnhardt's win at the Daytona 500.

Back