Grip Pressure Issues

asca2

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello, lately I have had problems with my grip pressure. My grip pressure is way to strong which is why I feel I have been heading massive hooks. When I try to decrease pressure, I make better contact and the hook turns into a draw. However, I have difficulties maintaining the grip without re-gripping it or avoiding the grip to move in my hand. Long story short, I was wondering how I can maintain a light grip pressure without the club getting loose in the hand or having to re-grip. Are there any practice drills? I asked a similar question on the general swing tips thread and thought it wouldn't hurt to ask it here, also, since many others seemed to have similar issues. Thank you in advance.

This is the Ask the Pro section. Pleas keep this area clean until GolfTEC comes in and answers. Thanks.

I could just be a fundamental grip position issue which is leading to the pressure issue.

Situations I've seen that can lead to your symptoms (assuming you're right handed):

-Left hand grip not enough in fingers (if the shaft points up the forearm it's too much in your palm)
-Too strong of a right hand grip (if the crease formed by your thumb and index finger points outside your right shoulder, it's too strong)
-"Long Left Thumb" - if you can see the left thumbnail under the crease of the right hand, the left thumb is too flat on the grip

That list is not all-inclusive, it simply is the Greatest Hits of what I've seen.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

Since the pro has chimed in, maybe you just need bigger grips or a softer grip like a midsize winn dri tac (if they make those in midsize haha)

Back