Guide me on soft stepping.

Just wanted to update you on the experiment @OGputtnfool . So I have a bunch of rounds in with the them, and things have gone very well. Better than usual, actually. 86% GIR with that specific setup despite one day that was far less than stellar. In real world conditions they might be launching and flying a tiny bit higher, but Apex are pretty high flyers compared to their peers already, so it's tough to say exactly how much. Pretty minimal I'd say. They do feel a little stiffer overall still than the S300s and the timing and feel aren't dramatically different. I'm back in NE now and plan to play a few times with them in the wind, which will be a good test of the flight and spin. Already got one round in, in those conditions, and missed one green by about a yard. I've really enjoyed them, honestly.

What did you end up deciding? Did you pick up that s300 set, or still figuring out your move? I know you've had a lot things changing recently.

Just wanted to update you on the experiment @OGputtnfool . So I have a bunch of rounds in with the them, and things have gone very well. Better than usual, actually. 86% GIR with that specific setup despite one day that was far less than stellar. In real world conditions they might be launching and flying a tiny bit higher, but Apex are pretty high flyers compared to their peers already, so it's tough to say exactly how much. Pretty minimal I'd say. They do feel a little stiffer overall still than the S300s and the timing and feel aren't dramatically different. I'm back in NE now and plan to play a few times with them in the wind, which will be a good test of the flight and spin. Already got one round in, in those conditions, and missed one green by about a yard. I've really enjoyed them, honestly.

What did you end up deciding? Did you pick up that s300 set, or still figuring out your move? I know you've had a lot things changing recently.

I'm in a holding pattern right now. Leaning toward trying the soft step simply because it's the cheaper option. Not against selling this set and having a set made for me, but might want to wait until I do a Club Champion fitting (probably this winter at 1/2 off) to do that so I make sure I get exactly what I need.

I never tried hardstepping the 6.0 because I would need to step them at least twice and by that time I'd be better off soft stepping the 6.5 once. Plus I preferred the weight of the 6.5 over the 6.0
Theoretically, would soft stepping increase launch and spin? I have used px 6.0's in the past and they worked well for me but last set I had I found towards the end of the round if I got a little lazy the longer irons were tougher for me. I am considering ordering my next set with px 6.0 soft stepped once but I am concerned with messing with the scoring irons. Generally what should I expect to see?

According to that graphic above there is a 37" club.

Regular DG doesn't have that and as such some companies (taylormade) send DG soft stepped instead of using the same shaft for 9 and PW.

For soft stepping the general rule of thumb for DG is a third of a flex. Since the AMTs are flighted I wouldnt be surprised if it feels more like a half a flex. True Temper usually removes weight from the handle and soften the handle for the lighter weight profiles so I would say the flighted effect is going to have a bigger difference in feel.

Theoretically, would soft stepping increase launch and spin? I have used px 6.0's in the past and they worked well for me but last set I had I found towards the end of the round if I got a little lazy the longer irons were tougher for me. I am considering ordering my next set with px 6.0 soft stepped once but I am concerned with messing with the scoring irons. Generally what should I expect to see?

There’s no set answer to what it will or won’t do other than play 1/3 of a flex softer. How that change affects your swing is player specific. However, I never soft or hard step to change flight dynamics. It’s a feel thing.

Reactions: MH
PX are 120g in 6.0 if I recall. Might be as much about the weight as the stoutness of the shaft?
Have some MP-59's with the PX 6.0's that haven't seen action in some time. Stout beasties. :love:
I also have some PXi 6.0's that I sometimes fantasize about soft stepping once or twice even, but by that point, I should probably just move onto more appropriate weights and flexes for where I'm at now. (y)

Back