but what do you do with those GUNS

sport shoot

hunt

home protection

or just cause you DIG THEM
Retired NYC police officer here. I was never a gun buff, still am not as I just view them as necessary tools. Like 'em but don't love 'em. But I've carried for years on the job and off, old habits die hard.

I needed one in the past, on duty (often) and off (a few times), thankfully never having to fire. But that former need, well I guess it subconsciously gnaws at me. So I carry for self-protection but with the underlying hope that the need to present will never occur again.

I only shoot enough to stay sharp or when running a new gun, testing reliability with a few hundred rounds down range. Otherwise it's just clean, maintain, carry.

A few years ago I was hanging with a buddy of mine when he was talking about taking up range shooting. I warned him, at some point, you have to give up a hobby because you've jumped into way too many, way too expensive ones.

He thought I was crazy until his wife showed up to the table with the Starbucks and I asked her to list them. She came up with:
Golf
Cycling
Photography
Skiing
Audio

Every few years he brings up guns again and his wife crushes him. Last I checked he was looking into SCUBA. LOL.

My three most expensive hobbies in order of expense

Music-I'm a guitarist
Golf
Shooting

those three have me broke

I guess being poor is also a hobby :bulgy-eyes::bulgy-eyes:

My three most expensive hobbies in order of expense

Music-I'm a guitarist
Golf
Shooting

those three have me broke

I guess being poor is also a hobby :bulgy-eyes::bulgy-eyes:

I'm with you. I call it my 3G addiction.

Guns, Golf, and Guitars!!!

Golf comes and goes for me, as time is scarce these days and we all know you need time on course and range to keep decent. So because my time is scarce i choose shooting to devote as much time as i can too.

Well, I just put a deposit down on a CZ 75-SP01. Don't know when it will come in, could be as long as 4 or 5 months.

Well, I just put a deposit down on a CZ 75-SP01. Don't know when it will come in, could be as long as 4 or 5 months.

Hope it doesn't take too long. My distributors are cleaned out. Not even allocated for big accounts, just plain says ZERO.

Hope it doesn't take too long. My distributors are cleaned out. Not even allocated for big accounts, just plain says ZERO.

They just don't know. Guy at the counter said it took 5 months for him to receive his but also said that they have them come in for some in under a month. 5 months would make it a nice Christmas present to myself I guess. I can be patient. I have other things that go "bang" in the meantime.

Sometimes it's just about being on the distributor's site at the right time. Like back in 2012, inventory can be pretty fluid. I'm currently slowly gathering parts for another scary black gun build.

Here are a few of my guns. My second favorite hobby. After golf of course.
0c3668615e3f7bea93fb41630d7cae0f.jpg
9e5a9812cd72cbe321afcd5f2087da57.jpg
cf086584fe44023eaa4fd423d56c8ae0.jpg
e0b782283a611d0f31e73d5cf06a26ea.jpg

Nice looking Kimber there!!

I shoot when it's too wet or cold to play golf. I also hunt waterfowl and on occasion, deer. When the weather is good, I play golf.

I have a small pistol range set up at the house and I try to shoot a few rounds every week. It's just a fun hobby but it can get expensive. I spend about the same amount every year on golf equipment and guns/ammo.

I have a "carry" permit and I normally have "something" in easy reach except when I'm on the course.

I don't have any other hobbies, can't afford them. LOL

Love the pictures and that is a very nice Kimber.

When the post mentioned guns.....I was quick to click lololol
Golf and guns.....does it even get better than that?

Throw in whiskey and women...

I'm a pistol guy as long guns just don't do it for this cross eye dominant fella.

Shoot a lot in the winter when golf isn't possible as others here have mentioned. Have severely toned down my collection to just the things that come along with me easily.

My wife and I have carry permits. Usually on Wednesday or Thursday we have a date night where we go to the gun range then out to dinner. By the way, she is a much better shot than I am.

My wife and I have carry permits. Usually on Wednesday or Thursday we have a date night where we go to the gun range then out to dinner. By the way, she is a much better shot than I am.

From what I've seen women typically learn to shoot faster than men. This is particularly true with handguns.

From what I've seen women typically learn to shoot faster than men. This is particularly true with handguns.
Concur with this statement. My wife and daughter both are deadly with handguns. I had to work at it, they were plinking 10's from jump street.

That's what golf needs! Cooler names for the equipment. Which would you rather pull from your bag: a 9-iron or a Glock? A 5-iron or a Smith and Wesson?

I love both.....

Would be interesting finish 9 holes.. 25 yard pistol target 5 shots 22 target pistol. same thing when you finish the 18th. Sort of like the biatholon.

OK, somebody needs to make this a thing! A combination 9-hole course and competitive gun range/course. Would be a huge hit! Plus the gun range might release some of the tension/anger is you play poorly that day

Back