Haggling for used clubs in a pro shop?

Ryan Law

Beating Adults at 13
Reaction score
Handicap
Front - 0
What do the club pros here think about haggling? There are a few clubs in the pro shop, and I wanted to know if it is okay to haggle down used clubs? I don't want my club pro to think that I am a jerk.

The guy who used to sell clubs at my course would build into his cost, the expectation that someone would offer less. He let us know that if someone offered 80% of what he was asking, to sell it for that price. Anything less and they would need to talk to him.

Ask him if he will take a price. If he says no, ask him if he would give you a break. But it all depends on how good of a relationship you have with him.

It never hurts to offer a lower price. As long as you are polite about it I can't see them getting mad or offended. It's not like we as consumers have a list of places that do and don't haggle so you never know til you try.

He probably bought it cheap on ebay, threw a new grip on it and put it in the sale bin. I've seen clubs the guy paid 4 bucks for, go for 30. They expect you to offer them less.

I bought a Superfast driver (1.0) from our guy, but I tried it out, looked it up on ebay, TaylorMade Used website, and was going to offer him that (it had a better shaft than what is stock). I had my wife ask him what he would take, and he said 5 bucks less than what I was going to offer. (went from 99 bucks to 60 bucks) It helped that it was me, and since he worked with Jacqui, he didn't make much on that club.

Thanks for the replies guys. (hehe that rhymed) There are a few clubs that I just might have to try to get. Also, I am great friends with the pro. He went to school with my mom.

Thanks for the replies guys. (hehe that rhymed) There are a few clubs that I just might have to try to get. Also, I am great friends with the pro. He went to school with my mom.

Make sure to take them out for a round or two. You might not like them, or you might find you can't live without it! I tried four different drivers before I bought the SuperFast.

Oh definitely. I just ask to try a club out and he tells me (jokingly) not to sky it. He is a great pro. I am going to try out the Baffler DWS 20* hybrid and the Boxer hybrid.

I don't think it hurts anything to ask.
Just have the price your willing to pay in your head, then let the haggling begin.

Back