dleavitt39

Reaction score
Handicap
14-16
Played at a course called sun mountain in rural Washington (1 1/2 hours east of Seattle). Beautiful course, but holy $*** were the greens solid!!! A 120 yard par 3, used my ATV 58*, watched it hit 2 feet past the pin, and figured it would spin back a little, using the Bridgestone B330-S....well, I was wrong. I watched the ball bounce back to my head height(6 feet +), and proceed to go 19 yards through the air...yes, 19 YARDS, not feet, but YARDS!!! The ball mark was so small, I questioned if it was even worth repairing!!! I couldn't get these greens today, hit and bounced it like that on 5 holes. I couldn't club down because then I wouldn't make the green. Does anyone have recommendations on how to handle greens like this?

Dan

Played at a course called sun mountain in rural Washington (1 1/2 hours east of Seattle). Beautiful course, but holy $*** were the greens solid!!! A 120 yard par 3, used my ATV 58*, watched it hit 2 feet past the pin, and figured it would spin back a little, using the Bridgestone B330-S....well, I was wrong. I watched the ball bounce back to my head height(6 feet +), and proceed to go 19 yards through the air...yes, 19 YARDS, not feet, but YARDS!!! The ball mark was so small, I questioned if it was even worth repairing!!! I couldn't get these greens today, hit and bounced it like that on 5 holes. I couldn't club down because then I wouldn't make the green. Does anyone have recommendations on how to handle greens like this?

Dan

Knockdowns and bump and runs that land short of the green and roll on up are your best bet when you can't hold greens.

You hit a 120 58* ATV an it didn't spin? The club head speed alone to hit that club that far should have spun the ball back to the tee box. Was it elevated?

Knockdowns and bump and runs that land short of the green and roll on up are your best bet when you can't hold greens.

Links style.

Bounce 60 feet in the air? Not even sure if had that much bounce off a cart path.

Sent from my HTC One X

Links style.

Bounce 60 feet in the air? Not even sure if had that much bounce off a cart path.

Sent from my HTC One X
I think it was 6 feet high, and bounced 19 yards past, not up!

Links style is about the only way to handle those. There used to be a course around here that would harden up like that in the summer. It would make you mutter all kinds of ugly words!!

hackin

Had a little goat track in a nearby town that we played in high school that had artificial turf greens. They were rectangular, and had no undulation, just placed at a slight angle sloping toward the hole.

It seemed to be carpet over concrete - if you landed on the green it would simply bounce high and off. Weird. Got to practice my knock down running shots. Luckily I grew up in Western KS, so the knock down was a necessity already.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

If they're that hard, yeah. Little runners are all you can do to stay on. If there are any holes with water in front, you're forced to lay up tight and hit some delicate chips.

We get that here, sort of, at the tail end of the year during the "snowball scrambles". Once the greens actually freeze, you simply cannot hit them. Last year I had 80y in on a hole, smoothed a beautiful wedge, and heard a playing partner say "oh, boy". I was confused, it looked perfect. Until it hit the front, and bounced 50' in the air, over and gone. Learned to hit a lot of runners that month.

Yup, with those concrete greens you have to bump it on.
The good thing about them is they are usually faster and roll better imo

I wish we had a little firmer greens, i feel so bad for leaving gigantic and hard to fix marks whenever i actually hit one with a full shot.
Sometimes the ball even rips out cent-sized pieces of green. Not sure if i should be replacing those on the green, like divots in fairways.

When I read that, I thought you were talking about my home course. I play on greens like that everyday. That's why its so difficult to get par at my little 2100 yard par 31 course. 220 yard par 3s + small greens + hard greens = try to run the ball onto the green and hope for the best.

~Rock

Back