Have You Ever HIt Into the Wrong Green a New Course?

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
I played a course for the first time and hit a nice shot into the ninth green. When I got to the green and took out my putter, the other guys in my group were on a green right next to it looking at me kind of funny. Turns out they were on the ninth and I had hit into the 18th. Trysting Tree in Corvallis, Oregon.

I played into the 18th by mistake on another course I was playing for the first time - a double green for both 9 and 18. OGA Members Course, Woodburn, Oregon.

Oh, well ...

Reactions: Ooo
Not wrong green. But wrong fairway, yes.

I haven't ever done it (yet!), but I've played a couple courses where I could see it happening if you weren't with somebody who knew the course.

A buddy did it on my old home course first time he played it - hit onto the 16th green from the 14th tee box. He was real happy with his shot, we were all like "Uh Oh!" and "Wow, you really pulled that one!". He looked at us in confusion until we explained that the green he was supposed to be hitting to was over *there* - you know, the one that was actually directly in front of us. :ROFLMAO:

Not on a new course. A few years ago on a course we play quite often I shanked a driver to a green more 45° to the right. Next time I played there I told one of the guys, "you won't believe this but I hit that green last time I was here" ... then proceeded to do it again. 😳

Haven’t done that, but I have stood on a par 3 tee with my laser rangefinder, arguing with the member that the pin was 215 away and uphill, not 155.

Wrong green, whoops.

I have also hit to the wrong side of a double green, and had to wait for a group to hit on before putting around their pin. That was ugly.

Not the wrong green but when I first started playing, I pulled up to the teebox, jumped out and teed it up the completely wrong direction. Smashed my drive into the direction of a neighborhood hidden by trees..:oops:. I didn't hear anything... Given my propensity to hit every tree in not aiming at, there's just no way it got through :D

Yes!

Years ago, first time playing Man 'O War in Myrtle Beach. Not sure of the hole (still, LOL), went out alone on a very light-play day. Dreary off-season afternoon, very flat, and the color of fairways/greens/rough all blended together, I had no idea where to hit the danged ball.

Nobody else out there, I picked a flag and fired at it, stuck it to kick-in range. Didn't realize until pulling up to the next tee box that suddenly the numbers were out of sequence.

Oops.

Yeah. was on the 2nd hole at seahouses,hit a rocket of a hybrid thinking great shot,nope i was actually hitting it at the 17th.. weird set up at seahouses on a few holes.
very confusing if you hadnt played there before.

not on a new course, but yet. shanked a drive from the 7th tee to the 6th green

I haven't done it personally but have had someone in my group do it for sure.

Played the University Club in Oxford, MS for the first time many moons ago. All I had was a map of the course on the scorecard. One hole showed a hard dogleg right and from the tee it looked it. Hit a monster drive over some trees, thought it was perfect. Probably the best drive I hit that year. My playing partners did the same. Wrong. It was a misprint, dogleg left. Still laughing about it. Clubhouse said they were new scorecards and they knew about it. How about a sign or something???

Yep, sure have.
Playing hole 6 at a new course. It's a long par 5, hit a decent drive to the fairway. Flared my 3w out right because it the worst club in my bag and I hate it. From the right rough you can't see the green because it is elevated about 30ft. But, the green for hole 8 is very visible and looks like it should be the one in play.
IMG_3419.jpeg
It wasn’t and I got some nasty looks from the guys playing the correct hole.

@KY Golfer and I may have had that problem at Man O War a few years back

I have and my buddies let me do it, and laughed their butts off when I did. It was a course I've never played.

I have done that

I recently asked a course if they had a yardage/layout book before I teed off on a course I'd played once before; some of their boxes cross holes and are not marked well...

they did not; it seems fewer courses do any more

go figure...

Last edited:
Sure I have, especially in the days before GPS, Google Earth on a cell phone, and all that goodness.

Wrong green? Nope.

Wrong flag on a shared green? Yep.

I once couldn’t FIND the green, on my “home” course no less. The course had undergone a significant re-design. The front nine opened first as there had been less renovation. The back opened a week prior to the Men’s City Championship in July. As a participant, I was allowed to have a practice round. When I arrived at the 10th, the fairway had not changed much. I teed off and hit it down the center. When I got to my ball, I did not know where to hit next. The old 10th had been a straight par 4 hole. There was no green in front of me. Hmmm… I had read that the creek on the left was now in play so I started looking left on the other side of the creek. The most obvious green was actually the 13th. Finally, I spotted the flag for the 10th, tucked beyond the 13th, surrounded by the stream and long vegetation. One could not see the green because of the long vegetation (since remedied).

Even though I now know where the green is, it is still the hardest hole on the course.

Yes, in Miami...

Not on a new course. A few years ago on a course we play quite often I shanked a driver to a green more 45° to the right. Next time I played there I told one of the guys, "you won't believe this but I hit that green last time I was here" ... then proceeded to do it again. 😳
Dude! I would have died if I saw that !!! LOL

not that i remember, but i have a guy on Saturdays that hits to the wrong green on purpose. He can no longer carry the lake towards the pin, so he hits to a green left of it, takes the drop and chips over

I can't say that I have

Back