Have you ever lost your passion for the game?

absolutely but it never really lasts.
Its out of frustration and due to at times becoming much too disheartened. Reason being is how much time and efforts and money Ive put into it and never do i see the rewards even come close to giving me something back worthy of even half the amount of those resources I have placed in it. So heck yea but as said it doesnt last long. But currently what passion I have lost is my desire to continue to put into it what i have been anymore.

I mean whats the freaking sense of all that time, efforts, and money only to not see any real return? Circumnavigating and rearranging life obs and responsibilities. Going out of my way every chance i get to try to to even just get a little better. So now i just cant justify doing all that much anymore. Its tiring, its hard work, it takes effort and patience and time and money and is a process and dedication. i went through it all to the best of my ability and resources. And im no better than I ever was. It gets so very disheartening seeing minimal at best return. And its either i have to leave the game or just accept the fact Im not one the lucky ones. Nor am I even one the semi lucky ones but instead one those avid players and effort makers that is simply on the rarer outside looking in.

I been playing for decades but never all that much and had all the excuses that i could blame it on. But the last several years I really began dedicating and making those great efforts best i could and have since exhausted all those excuses only to realize they never mattered. Im just one the more unlucky ones and its extremely disheartening. Currently i just play and try to enjoy it and have little desire left to place into it what i had been doing. Oh i still try and ill still practice and make some efforts but not like i was doing. It just isnt worth it cause the more i do the more it hurts when the results are not there. So the only answer is to do a little less. Do it when i can but not go out of my way as much. Just try to play as much as i can now and let the cards fall where they may....so be it. Im tired of feeling disheartened. So my passion to play and play well is still there but my passion (due to exhaustion of it all) to place so much into it has dwindled a lot right now.

Who knos maybe next season it comes back. I have no idea what the future holds.

Giving this a little bump because of what happened today. This game is sooo frustrating at times. For my entire golfing career I have been an mid 80's guy, the last 5 years or so I started playing better, learning more about the game/equipment (thank you THP!) and got my cap as low as a 6.4 at one point. Then last year it all started to unravel, I got a case of the dreaded S-words. It all started one Saturday afternoon and I haven't been able to completely kick them since so we are now going on a year and a half. They just show up randomly whenever they feel like it. Last week out of town with THPers I had a day where I literally could not hit an iron... The next day I was fine.

Today I went and played a round with some local friends and was +1 through 7 holes playing well, no issues. Par 3 8th, hit square on the hosel dead right OB. Try to shake it off, next one hosel, finally get on the green and take a 7 on a par 3. Next hole OB off the tee right, next one off the hosel OB right and finally one more short into the water to end up with a 9. Went from +1 to +10 in 2 holes.:mad: What in the actual #$^%$

Clearly its a horrible flaw in my swing that I need to get rid somehow of but man its not only frustrating its down right embarassing. Guys looking at me like dude WTF was that? I haven't lost my passion yet, as I love this game but man I've had enough of this nonsense.

i know it’s been tough for you dude, but it will come around, i think the winter will do you good

@Alez367 has the sweetest Toulon Stroke Lab putter and a gorgeous shaft from last year’s THCP event.

oh, I’m very aware of what he has in the bag;) why I called dibs ? also that wedge he has on the way YEAH BOI!

I’ve had the passion wane when things get bad in the past few years. It’s lead to a few dark days but I’ve always forced myself to get back on the horse. One or two signs of hope is what I need to bounce back.

@jdtox, you will bounce back. Your game is strong and you have the right attitude and demeanor to overcome these issues. the game is hard and dumb. Take the pressure away and let it happen. And let that cap go up so you can crush @Canadan when you do bounces back #sundaysingles

Sure have, I've lost it a few times, almost cried after a few games this year.

Reading the comments in this thread is awesome, great topic!!!

I reckon 80/90 percent of the time it's because you get too score/results focused and forget the bigger picture.

And the rest is because of other life pressures (job, injury, family etc)

I took some advice from some people here when I last lost it, and just went out by myself for fun. No score, no expectations, just grip it and rip it. Worked for me 110 percent.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I’ve had the passion wane when things get bad in the past few years. It’s lead to a few dark days but I’ve always forced myself to get back on the horse. One or two signs of hope is what I need to bounce back.

@jdtox, you will bounce back. Your game is strong and you have the right attitude and demeanor to overcome these issues. the game is hard and dumb. Take the pressure away and let it happen. And let that cap go up so you can crush @Canadan when you do bounces back #sundaysingles
Wow, savage from the TeamHackers Brotherhood hahaha

Simple question right? OR is it? This game is full of highs, lows, ups, downs....have you ever thought about hanging it up even if just for awhile? If so what caused it?
Yes several times. Even quitting for years at a time. The beauty of this game is that it is so simple. Get the ball into the hole. Easy. Least strokes wins. Right. Right.

But as everyone is aware, we can find that this seemingly simple task is anything but.

Yet, each and every time, the gods of golf whisper in my ears. Come back.

I humbly return.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Never. But extended injury has inspired a conscious detachment at times. But that's only because if I'd allow myself to think about golf, I'd get depressed.

I’m coming out of that now... I moved from TX with a bunch of playing partners and no real “off-season” to CO with no one to play with and a definite downturn during fall/winter. All of that change left me mostly distracted from golf up until now.

Simple question right? OR is it? This game is full of highs, lows, ups, downs....have you ever thought about hanging it up even if just for awhile? If so what caused it?
I caught the <redacted> so bad several years ago, I thought about quitting. In fact, I was with @e1iterate and looked up my clubs on eBay to see what I could get for them in the middle of the round... Dark times, dark times indeed.

Only thing I really do outside of work/family is golf. As others have said there have been times when I stopped caring about what i shoot and just played and caught up with friends or environment

Sure, a few times. Cured myself by not worrying about the score, just hitting golf balls around. Now, every round has it's ups and downs, but it's overall a good time.

Yeah, it's why I didn't touch a club for almost 16 years.
But MAN am I glad to have renewed interested and to have found THP

Back