[HELP] Bad driving range session

Play2Win

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok so let me explain what happened.

I've been wanting to increase my clubhead speed for a while now so last week I purchased the Speed Sleeve by Taylormade. If you don't know what it is, basically you strap it onto your club and it makes anyone of your clubs heavier.

So after I first got it, I started swinging with it in my backyard for about 3 days (not actually hitting balls, just swinging) for about 10-20 mins a day and it started to feel good and I felt like I was getting faster right away. It did make me a little sore.

Today I finally got to get out to the range and test my new swing out since practicing with it. All I can really say is that it went terrible. I shouldn't say completely terrible because my irons were actually solid.

My driving was absolutely terrible. Worse I've ever seen actually, even worse then when I first started playing golf, no joke. I could not get the ball in the air off the tee. I didn't get to leave without hitting one single decent drive. It was embarrassing. I play golf all the time, 2-3 times a week if I'm lucky. Normally, if I hit about 20-30 balls at the range using my driver, I might only hit about 1 or 2 bad shots that didn't feel good. But today, for the first time ever, I hit every single drive terrible. Couldn't get in the air, couldn't get distance, nothing.

But the crazy thing is, when I first started today with my irons, they were all solid. Even better then normal, they all felt good. I think this is the only thing the speed sleeve helped me with, my irons.

I feel like the reason my irons are so good is because using the speed sleeve was making me hit more down on the ball which is good. But I think the problem is now I'm hitting down with my driver as well which is not good.

I know this might sound crazy to some people but I don't know what to do. I was trying everything out there and couldn't get one single decent drive, it was scary. (This coming from a person who is normally known as a good driver)

Actually my 3 wood off the tee was pretty bad as well. But I was hitting my 5 wood off the deck very solid, much farther then my driver.

I will be going again tomorrow for another session hoping maybe my muscles just need to relax from using the speed sleeve. But I guess I'm just looking for any tips someone might have or anyone else who has experienced something similar, or anything else I can try because I've never been so paranoid over a gold swing lol.

Help!

Last edited:
I use a swing fan but have to be careful because it can wreak havoc on the golf swing. Two totally different tools.

So today I got out to the range again and tried some new things out. I think I figured out what my problem is.

For some reason the speed sleeve has been causing me to hook the ball. I can still hit my irons solid, but my driver is still producing a low severe hook. The only way I can hit it straight and high is if I start the clubhead open and really force an outside-in shot.

The problem is that before using the speed sleeve, I was doing the complete opposite as I am now. Before I was naturally hitting a small fade and would keep my face a little more closed at start. So for some reason, after swing the speed sleeve for 4 days, it completely changed my whole swing. Part of the reason I think is because I was practicing with it completely wrong to begin with since I never watched the videos on how to properly use it. When I was practicing with it, I was trying to swing the heavy club as hard as I could.. I did this for days. Big mistake.

I figured out that the reason I am hooking so much is not so much that I am swinging inside-out, but it has to do more with my wrists. As soon as my wrists start to turn over, I am closing the club face and increasing the chances of a hook. Now I need to figure out the best drills to combat my wrists closing at impact so much.

Anyone know any drills I can do to make my wrists not turn over so much at impact?

I'd get some video of your swing and post it in the Ask the Pro section.

This is the Ask the Pro section. Let's keep these threads clean until Andy has a chance to answer. Thanks.

Sorry it took so long I was on vacation with no internet access. The weighted clubs or fans to increase swing speed are good in theory, but most who use them have to find a way to alter their swing to make a move with these training aids. The best way to increase ss is to get more connected in the down swing so you can use more of your body mass to get into the back of the ball. If you can please post a video and I can get you some things to work on.

Thanks I will post a video soon.

But after playing for a while I am figuring out what is happening. It seems like my wrists/hands are turning over at impact causing a low hook. The thing is, my irons have been really good, best they have ever been. This is the only thing the speed sleeve helped me with. But it completely ruined my driver. Still the only way I can hit a decent drive is if I play a server out to in with the clubface open at start.

Before practicing with the speed sleeve, my normal drive would be a high far baby fade. Now my normal drive is a low short hook. And this literally happened overnight after using the speed sleeve.

I guess now I just want to know what I can do to reverse what I did. How can I make it so my wrists stop turning over? This might sound stupid but I want my slice back! I can fix my slice much easier then I can fix a hook.

So do you know any drills or anything I can do that might reverse what I ruined?

I am also having the exact same with weight training. I am having to open my drive, 3W and 3H, however, every other club is fine. Are there any drills? I am very interested.

Back