Help me decide - ZX5 or ZX4?

How about a combo set, 5, 6, 7 with ZX4
And 8, 9, PW, and GW with XZ5

I had a Sri on 545 replaced by I 500
66 handicap 12
My issue was need height and carry but like to work ball
Compared z x 5/4 to mine
Z x 4 was highest ball flight longest carry and very straight more forgiving than all but felt feel on 545 was best and more workable
Sticking with 545 but may look at zx 4 in 4/5 where distance and height more important than workability all very nice
Feel on zx 4 still good

Senior golfer, 74 years old, 12 hc, play minimum of twice a week during the season, not afraid to spend time on the practice range, slow swing speed and not a long hitter, depend on short game for results.

i'm looking for a second set to store at our vacation home. Tried of traveling with clubs. Gamers are T300's with stock senior shafts.

I'm leaning towards Srixon because I previously had a set of the 585's but sold them to a friend.

ZX5's get the nod for appearance but ZX4's may deliver on performance. Just can't decide. Opinions welcomed.
I play a ZX4 4i and zx5 5-GW. Love them.

Very limited experience with Srixon. I have hit both and really enjoyed the 4. Can’t say as much about the 5. I found it odd because I’ve never been a fan of hollow body irons.

First and foremost, I would like to thank all those that offered their opinions. I think it has helped me come to a good decision.

I decided to go with the ZX4 from 5 - PW. I considered the blended set, but just don't like the loft differences when trying to blend. I figured I can always make a change later if I want to do the blended thing.

In the end it came down to making the game easier to play. I'm guessing I could have gone with the ZX5, but probably would have sacrificed some distance and ease-of-play. At the age of 74, it's all about making the game more enjoyable, but still allowing for improvement through practice. I think the ZX4's will allow me to do this just a little easier.

Once they arrive and I get a few rounds in with them, I'll post in this thread what my experience is and how they compare to the T300's, which are still one of my favorite set of irons of all time.

Wisdom I should listen to. I'm not getting any younger but I do feel that my performances is improving, especially with irons. I'm one of those guys who spend more than 50% of my practice time with the short game. Wedge play is probably my strength and if I could improve my approach shots, I could probably shave my score. Sounds like your suggestion of the ZX4 would be the smart play.

Youtube pro Crossfield is playing the ZX4s this year. 6i thru PW. I mean if a pro is using them.... The clubs look really nice and even though they're a little chunky have a bladed look to them and a forged face. If I was buying new, I'd give them a real close look. I'm 69.

His wedges: He added a ZX7 PW to blend with his wedges which are a CBX 52 and an RTX 58. FYI. I mentioned the CBX 46 because I saw some of last years on Budget Golf for a steal recently. Plus I think the sole on the CBX looks a little more friendly.

His top end of the bag: Srixon 4H (22); Cleveland Halo Hiwood 3+ (18 degrees); Driver (he doesn't recommend spending as much money as the XXIO he plays costs on a driver)

Srixon appears to be having no trouble filling orders. Ordered a set of ZX4's customized to my specs on March 13th and got a ship notice yesterday, March 17th.

I only had a chance to hit a few shots with the 7i and 5i in my small indoor hitting bay. All I can say is these things are crazy easy to hit. For a hollow body club, the sound is very muted compared to my T300's. Until I get them on the course, it's hard to compare. Going to play 18 on Sunday, so I may take the 7i and do some comparison shots.

I only had a chance to hit a few shots with the 7i and 5i in my small indoor hitting bay. All I can say is these things are crazy easy to hit. For a hollow body club, the sound is very muted compared to my T300's. Until I get them on the course, it's hard to compare. Going to play 18 on Sunday, so I may take the 7i and do some comparison shots.
What shafts did you get in your Zx4’s?

Back