Help me decide - ZX5 or ZX4?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Senior golfer, 74 years old, 12 hc, play minimum of twice a week during the season, not afraid to spend time on the practice range, slow swing speed and not a long hitter, depend on short game for results.

i'm looking for a second set to store at our vacation home. Tried of traveling with clubs. Gamers are T300's with stock senior shafts.

I'm leaning towards Srixon because I previously had a set of the 585's but sold them to a friend.

ZX5's get the nod for appearance but ZX4's may deliver on performance. Just can't decide. Opinions welcomed.

If you like the T300, why not a second set? I love my Srixon ZX5 irons.

Both seem like they would work. Maybe get a little more distance with the ZX4 🤷‍♂️

Absent of fitting I’d go with the set you’d be most excited to pull when you are on vacation.

Bleeeeeend them! 😍

You're 74? ZX4 6-PW. If you know the ZX4 deliver on performance, why make things more difficult?

For wedges you might want to go with a CBX 46, and either a CBX 50 or RTX 50 depending how things blend on this end.

I have played all 3 and I can tell you the zx4 are easier than them all but I seem to play better with a smaller head I think it’s a concentration thing so I stuck with The zx7 but the zx5 vs zx4 isn’t much in it other than the zx4 seemed to fly higher but that could have been the shaft were different in all 3 as well, between those 2 go with mostly makes you smile when you look down on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I didn't have an incredible set of mizuno 225s I'd look at the zx4s. And a few others, but of the two you listed, the 4s. @Canadan did a a great review of them as well.

Everything I’ve read and seen about the 4’s make it sound like a really fun set to play

Wow guys, you're making this even more difficult than I thought. A little more info that may help sway your suggestions.

I do prefer a smaller head and worried about the size of the bottom of the head on the ZX4. The T300, for it's performance, has a pretty compact head although its not blade like. I do tend to find the fairways so may I shouldn't worry so much about the footprint which may affect hitting from the rough.

I can see the benefit of a blended set... maybe ZX4 in the 5 and 6 and 7-PW in the ZX5. I know these are supposed to be blendable but the lofts on the ZX4's are just 3* in some cases. The lofts on the ZX5's seem much better at 4*.

I don't really need height in my shots and although I'm a short hitter, I get at least 3 or 4 up and downs each round, so I play to my strengths which is the short game. However, I have noted that in those cases where I can get a GIR, I have a fairly high percentage of pars, so perhaps I should let distance be my deciding factor and go with ZX4's all the way through.

One question for those that have played the ZX4. Has the bottom/back of the club ever turned you off and make you wish you were using a smaller club head? I did read that the blade on the ZX4 is only 1 mm longer than the ZX5 so at least the head is much longer, which is a big plus.

BTW, I have considered another set of the T300's, but I kind of like the idea of playing two different sets just for comparison and ensuring that I'm working on my technique without the club being that much of a factor.

One more thing. I've been fitted 3 times so I have a pretty good idea of what my specs need to be and the 585's that I had were the same specs as my current T300's.

I have to remind myself that I'm 74 and distance will continue to be a big factor going forward, but since I didn't start playing golf till I was 67, my distance has improved every year because I continue to work on my game during the winter months using my indoor hitting bay. I guess I'm leaning toward the ZX4's since every review I've seen has been positive, but that's not to say that the reviews of the ZX5's are not.

Please see the suggestions coming because I need to get these ordered before the season starts and it's just around the corner.

I have played all 3 and I can tell you the zx4 are easier than them all but I seem to play better with a smaller head I think it’s a concentration thing so I stuck with The zx7 but the zx5 vs zx4 isn’t much in it other than the zx4 seemed to fly higher but that could have been the shaft were different in all 3 as well, between those 2 go with mostly makes you smile when you look down on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know what you mean about the smaller heads because sometime I think that makes me a better ball striker. Larger heads seem to turn me off, but it looks like the ZX4's are not much longer than the ZX5's - 1 mm, but that's just the blade.

You're 74? ZX4 6-PW. If you know the ZX4 deliver on performance, why make things more difficult?

For wedges you might want to go with a CBX 46, and either a CBX 50 or RTX 50 depending how things blend on this end.

Wisdom I should listen to. I'm not getting any younger but I do feel that my performances is improving, especially with irons. I'm one of those guys who spend more than 50% of my practice time with the short game. Wedge play is probably my strength and if I could improve my approach shots, I could probably shave my score. Sounds like your suggestion of the ZX4 would be the smart play.

What do you think you would have given up had you gone with the ZX5's? This may help with my decision.
I think I probably would have combo'ed the Z Forged with the ZX4 in the 6-5-4 and not given up much of anything, really.

It just never actually happened. I've got no good reason.

I think I probably would have combo'ed the Z Forged with the ZX4 in the 6-5-4 and not given up much of anything, really.

It just never actually happened. I've got no good reason.
Dan can you lead the OK to your zx4 review?. I did a search, could not find quickly.

I would go with the ZX4. They have just an amazing combination of outstanding feel, are really forgiving and have plenty of pop. Not many downsides if any.

Wow guys, you're making this even more difficult than I thought. A little more info that may help sway your suggestions.

I do prefer a smaller head and worried about the size of the bottom of the head on the ZX4. The T300, for it's performance, has a pretty compact head although its not blade like. I do tend to find the fairways so may I shouldn't worry so much about the footprint which may affect hitting from the rough.

I can see the benefit of a blended set... maybe ZX4 in the 5 and 6 and 7-PW in the ZX5. I know these are supposed to be blendable but the lofts on the ZX4's are just 3* in some cases. The lofts on the ZX5's seem much better at 4*.

I don't really need height in my shots and although I'm a short hitter, I get at least 3 or 4 up and downs each round, so I play to my strengths which is the short game. However, I have noted that in those cases where I can get a GIR, I have a fairly high percentage of pars, so perhaps I should let distance be my deciding factor and go with ZX4's all the way through.

One question for those that have played the ZX4. Has the bottom/back of the club ever turned you off and make you wish you were using a smaller club head? I did read that the blade on the ZX4 is only 1 mm longer than the ZX5 so at least the head is much longer, which is a big plus.

BTW, I have considered another set of the T300's, but I kind of like the idea of playing two different sets just for comparison and ensuring that I'm working on my technique without the club being that much of a factor.

One more thing. I've been fitted 3 times so I have a pretty good idea of what my specs need to be and the 585's that I had were the same specs as my current T300's.

I have to remind myself that I'm 74 and distance will continue to be a big factor going forward, but since I didn't start playing golf till I was 67, my distance has improved every year because I continue to work on my game during the winter months using my indoor hitting bay. I guess I'm leaning toward the ZX4's since every review I've seen has been positive, but that's not to say that the reviews of the ZX5's are not.

Please see the suggestions coming because I need to get these ordered before the season starts and it's just around the corner.
Try chipping with the ZX4 and ZX5 and see whiich feels better.

Back