Help, my hybrids hate me!

UCFHF

Reaction score
Handicap
(REPOST FROM EQUIPMENT PONDERING THREAD)

Hi all, I need your collective advice. I have Adams A7 hybrids (3, 4, 5) on the UST Axivcore black shafts (stiff). These did really well for me when I was having a problem with slices. Now that I have the slicing under control, I am hooking the heck out of these hybrids. I like what they are capable of and what they did for me before. Any advice on what I could look at now?

There is the possibility that because you were slicing them, that you are now bringing your hybrids back with a very closed clubface which is causing you to hit these big hooks because unless you are holding off the face just right you will hit these big hooks..

Next time you are at the range, stop at the top of your backswing and see where the face of your club is pointing.

Next time you are at the range, stop at the top of your backswing and see where the face of your club is pointing.

Roger that. I'll give it a try and report back.

try the 910h! loved the one i hit last night with the 80g diamana kai'li in it..

Open the face some at address?

Clubface was a little closed at the top, but left wrist looked ok. So, as Smallville recommended, I tried to open it up a bit at address. That, and weakening my grip a bit more seems to have brought the flight around a bit more.

Still debating a shaft with a bit more stiffness, though, since the a7 heads are pretty hefty. Thoughts?

Maybe look for an adjustable hybrid. If your in the mood for new hybrids, you can always get fit for a stiffer shaft too. If i'm having a consistent miss on the range that day, i can open or close the face, so im not thinking about my swing while i'm out on the course.

UPDATE: Picked up a Mizuno CLK Fli-Hi. Less offset. Seems to be helping me. If it keeps up, I'll likely sell out of my Adams set and pick up another Mizuno.

You said you were hooking them. Was the ball flight a starts right goes left or a starts left goes left?

Ball flights will tell you everything.

Make sure you complete your back swing. This is just something that helps me when I am battling the hook.

Swing your hybrids like an iron, not like your driver. I almost guarantee you that if you put your weight more forward it'd solve your problem. Also, try standing with the both completely centered, not towards the front. You will lose about 3-5 yards by doing it, but it'll help with the hook as the clubface will meet the ball earlier in your swing.

Back