Help with club fitting and selection

lilbilly

Reaction score
Handicap
This is my first post here - I appreciate everyone who is willing to help out.

A little background info on myself that my be of note: I've been playing golf for around 15 years, and am currently about a 15 hcp. I don't have a ton of time for practice or playing, due to the demands of work, family, money, time, etc... From March to late Sept I will usually play or practice 3-5 times per month. I'm sure if I was able to play and practice more, I could easily drop 5 strokes and be around a 10 hcp. 7 iron is usally around 145-150 carry.

I've typically used standard length (even though I could use .5-1" short) and I just choke down slightly. The charts show that I should have a standard lie (according to height and wrist to floor measurement). I've never had a problem with lie angle until now. I realize I should have gotten fit, however, this is where I'm at now.

I bought some Taylor Made Burner irons a couple years ago and I guess I never noticed before now, but the lie angle is at least 2 degrees too upgright (despite them being longer than standard clubs as well). I've been compensating unknowingly by holding my hands higher up and farther out enough to make the sole flat, and I'm sure that having my hands in a little unnatural position is causing some inaccuracies in my swing.

I had a club maker look at them and he called me the next day saying he couldn't get them to bend at all. Is this normal for these types of clubs to not be able to adjust the lie angle at all? He also says I should cut them down, but he says it will change the swing weight too much if I cut off 1" from the butt of the club. However, there's no point in doing anything to them if they are still going to be too upright.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Welcome to THP

how do you know your clubs are too upright and by 2*? If you've never been to a fitter it would be difficult to know this. Has anything changed I your setup to the ball at address. Is there more flex in the knees or hips? This would cause the arms to hang lower and toe of the club to come of the ground.

How tall are you? Typically cast clubs can be bent 2* maybe 3* but its a process and takes someone that knows what they are doing.

If you are able to get yourself on a swing board at a big box store that will tell you what your lie angle should be. Have your clubs lie angle looked at and you will know how far off you are. Once that has been determined you can find a club maker that can bend or look into a new set. Hope this helps.

Welcome to THP

how do you know your clubs are too upright and by 2*? If you've never been to a fitter it would be difficult to know this. Has anything changed I your setup to the ball at address. Is there more flex in the knees or hips? This would cause the arms to hang lower and toe of the club to come of the ground.

How tall are you? Typically cast clubs can be bent 2* maybe 3* but its a process and takes someone that knows what they are doing.

If you are able to get yourself on a swing board at a big box store that will tell you what your lie angle should be. Have your clubs lie angle looked at and you will know how far off you are. Once that has been determined you can find a club maker that can bend or look into a new set. Hope this helps.

This ^^^^ and don't get caught up in swing weight. I doubt you will feel the difference. I'd find another place to get a full fitting with a certified fitter/club maker.

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP! And, what Tadashi70 said. I have TM 2.0 irons. I just had them bent 1* flat. So, a good club maker should be able to bend them a little. 2* or more degrees? I don't know.

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if something has changed in my address over the last couple years. Standing at address, where my hands feel comfortable, the toe is up off the ground. The club fitter said it definitely looked like 2 degrees. He said that when put the clubs up to check the lie angle, they were more upright than standard.

I'm 5'5 and my wrist to floor measurement was approx 34".

Last edited:
This ^^^^ and don't get caught up in swing weight. I doubt you will feel the difference. I'd find another place to get a full fitting with a certified fitter/club maker.

It wasn't just the swing weight, he was stating that cutting an inch or more off the butt would throw the balance of the club off. Is this something I should be worried about if I decided to go ahead and get them cut down?

Last edited:
Back