Help with making a practice routine

BogeyMan60

Reaction score
Handicap
My Gut
I had the best day ever ball striking with my irons yesterday and I'd really like to continue it. I actually airmailed just about every green yesterday so I've found some extra distance somewhere which is odd considering it was a very cool day yesterday and playing with the same level of ball I'm used to. So anyways fellas, I was hoping for some suggestions with coming up with a good practice routine to keep my swing good and fresh and improving. I have a driving range just down the road from where I work on the way home so I have easy access to get the work in, just need help with the routine. Thanks guys!

If you are striking your irons good, sounds like your swing is working well. Work on your putting, chipping, and wedge game until you comfortable with the short game. This will make your 2014 golf season special.

Find a feeling or movement you are making and continue to work on hat until it becomes second nature. This might mean you hot range balls with some half swings to really engrain certain feelings. I agree with OG in terms of the short game and you should be on your way to lower scores

KG

Just Tapping Away

Thanks for the tips guys, yeah the short game killed me yesterday. I just wish I could figure out a way to bottle up and save my swing from yesterday. As far as the feeling, I was really just trying to bring the club in from the inside with a good one piece takeaway with a good shoulder turn. I just hope it wasn't a fluke.

You might try looking at Stan Utley's short game techniques, they are pretty easy to follow and practice. I think he simplifies things (technique wise) and gets you thinking in a consistent manner to maximize your scoring opportunities. His two books that contain his short game theories are "The Art of the Short Game" and "The Art of Scoring". You don't need both books as both contain much of the same information. Hope this helps.

You might try looking at Stan Utley's short game techniques, they are pretty easy to follow and practice. I think he simplifies things (technique wise) and gets you thinking in a consistent manner to maximize your scoring opportunities. His two books that contain his short game theories are "The Art of the Short Game" and "The Art of Scoring". You don't need both books as both contain much of the same information. Hope this helps.

I played with my instructor yesterday and frankly I embarrassed myself as bad as I chipped, it really killed me as he looked over our score card at the end of the round and said I would've easily broken 100 without the chipping and putting yips. During our next lesson we're going to put in some serious work on the short game and putting, as its usually pretty solid for me, but the last few rounds out it has been the achillies heel of my game.

Bogey you should always work on what is the most problematic for you. Short game, putting , long irons..whatever it may be. Also practice with a purpose. Hitting a large bucket isn't a purpose. Swing and maintaining balance is a purpose. Or chipping to a three foot circle, these are good routines to try to get into.

My advise is to spend 50% on short game and putting, 40% on the issue you see in your game and 10% on the stuff you know is solid.

Back