Here's a simple way to get better at golf! RIGHT NOW!

TrueMotionMatt

Reaction score
THPers, @TrueMotionTim Tim did a simple video of how you can improve your golf game, Right NOW! If you don't have time for a video (this probably doesn't apply to you😂) here's the cold hard Truth: STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE! Check it out 👇to see why.

Close to 100% of beginners who see us, when we ask them, "How have been learning golf up to this point?", they respond, without hesitation, "YouTube!"

And what does that person's swing typically look like? Terrible SetUp (too "athletic") , club is flat and behind them going back, ripped way inside, and the downswing is a heave, over the top banana slice. Can't wait for the debate. 😂

But,but.....😉🤣🤣🤣🤣

Excellent commentary, the only time I watch YT golf stuff now is THP live, equipment reviews and, for entertainment. I will admit I learned to first play from a combination of you tube and my bil and he taught me more about the swing than you tube ever did. Last year I was able to take lessons and made a big improvement and it was mostly having that set of eyes and being able to work with me on the proper setup for my body type and limitations. People watching YouTube think they can exactly copy some tip shown but, maybe that tip is not for their swing fault, maybe their body won't move like the instructor and, maybe the instructor is full of bull!

I can attest to that. I’m also a client and can tell you from experience Tim believes in reps and it actually works.

The best way for me to get better at golf quickly is to find someone else that’s better at golf (won’t be hard) and have them post their scores to my account, lol.

That to me seems the path of least resistance?

I ain't buyin' it. Not once did you say new clubs would make me better. I know what really works.

I ain't buyin' it. Not once did you say new clubs would make me better. I know what really works.
That’s our next video. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone in the OEM equipment business. I play 3-year old irons, 3-year old Fairways and 2-year old driver, wedges are usually new every other year, but last year’s model. 😂

Last edited:
Nice Matt, golf is a game of feel and feel is impossible to describe given the speed of a golf swing and the large number of micro-movements that make up a functional swing that is over in one second.
Bobby Jones is probably the only person to come close and he conceded that it is an impossible task.
Jones wrote two columns each week for syndication to daily newspapers, in addition to pieces for The American Golfer and other publications during 1927-1935. He produced a book with O.B.Keeler in 1931 and 1932. He wrote the technical material and performed in 18 motion pictures produced by Warner Brothers, and wrote the scripts. He estimated that he wrote over half a million words about the game of golf.

Very similar to what a coach use to tell our class. He said that multiple coaches would confuse the student. He insisted the students refrain from YouTube instruction while he was working with them so that he could help make changes on their swing.

Somehow I've instinctively known I couldn't learn how to swing a club from YouTube videos. I have referred to YT for hints on how to address certain specific issues, and have found a couple that were useful to me. They weren't videos on how to swing, but more training aids to improve whatever swing you had. (One taught me to slow it down, the other how to get the right "feel" in the wrists when going into the top of your back-swing.)

As to reps: I'd also add this: You can't correct every swing flaw in one go. There's just too much going on.

Years ago, in talking to a friend of mine who was a crack competitor in handgun combat shooting competition, he cautioned me: "You have to pick one aspect at a time, work that one out, then identify the next, work that one out, and so-on. There's too much going on, too quickly, to improve/correct everything at the same time." In my limited, personal experience, that applies to the golf swing, as well. (It was remembering that, when I almost gave up on golf out of frustration, that was part of what led me to trying again.)

It's funny, but, as my swing and my ball-hitting improve--as I've discovered each "new" thing, one thing at a time, I found myself thinking "Oh, that's what my golf instructor meant!" I related that to him at our final class. He laughed and said something like "Yeah, there's only so much I can do. It's up to you to discover how it feels when you get it right."

I grew up with an illustrated book. Not even Youtube! ;)
Today, @GolfLivesMatter posted a youtube video of Tiger and the "glove under the arm drill."
Now, if you had never been to a pro, and don't KNOW what that drill is supposed to engrain, don't do it. (Although its an awesome one and EVERYONE should do it.) ;)
But it was still really great to watch Tiger doing it via YT video to see how the VERY most correct way to do it ever when his swing was really on.
So little contrary to the "don't watch YT" angle, but it would have the potential to confuse like no other too. So make sure someone that knows the swing gives you that drill and then watch some people do it on YT. (y)

could not agree more. we as golfers may be able to identify the miss (effect), but it’s all but impossible to accurately diagnose the reason (cause).

I have broken myself of this habit over the last 2 seasons. I still catch myself trying to click on something from time to time. Only thing I read now would be filed under course management or mental mindset. No more swing tips or instruction for me.

could not agree more. we as golfers may be able to identify the miss (effect), but it’s all but impossible to accurately diagnose the reason (cause).
I ran across this yesterday and thought it had some good info. (No idea who these people are.)
A pro can sure help, but this little link gives a lot of good info about the path and face angle and resulting ball flights. I made sure to save it to my golf favorites sites yesterday. (y)

Lots of good stuff out there. Mind boggling compared to when I grew up. But oh that potential to confuse.... :eek:

I agree that YouTube golf instruction is not the best way to go for golf instruction. Especially if the viewer is watching a lot of different instructors. That said, for some it's better than nothing, especially for the basics.,

I watch some YT golf instruction videos for entertainment purposes. Others I watch for instruction reminder purposes.

I think to get the most out of YT videos, the viewer needs to find, and stay with one instructor's series of videos. Don't jump around from one instructor to the next one.

I do think a lot the YT golf videos tell the viewer what they are supposed to do, but fail miserably on how to actually do it. The viewer is left to fill in the blanks.

Me, I revisit a lot of Paul Runyon's instruction videos on chipping using the putting stroke. I like his views on the greenside game of golf.

For entertainment I like watching Seve's, and Jack's videos.

I was watching a video of Tiger's warm up routine. One designed for his own suspect back issues. There was no instruction intended in this video. Not even anyone talking. Just Tiger swinging a club, hitting golf balls. It was such an easy swing to watch, that It had me thinking why not try his warm up swing, for my short game swing practice? Made a big difference, for the better, in my short game, approach shots.

Like I said above, if used properly, YT golf swing videos are better than nothing.

I grew up with an illustrated book. Not even Youtube! ;)
Today, @GolfLivesMatter posted a youtube video of Tiger and the "glove under the arm drill."
Now, if you had never been to a pro, and don't KNOW what that drill is supposed to engrain, don't do it.
I can second that recommendation from personal experience.

Two months back, and several weeks before my first scheduled golf lesson, I asked "Orange Whip: Will It Aid A Beginner?". The majority of the responses I got fell into "Yes. Go for it."

Yeah... no. With all due respect for, and thanks to, those who replied: That turned out to be a bad idea. A very bad idea. My swing was wrong, all wrong, and what working with that OW did was reinforce a thoroughly bad swing, making it that much harder for me to get my swing right.

I've had the thing out a couple times in the last couple days. I think I'm going to leave it in the bag for a while. I enjoy working out with it, but, because of those early experiences it seems to tend to revive bad practices in me, rather than improve me. Maybe once a good swing is thoroughly ingrained in me--has become muscle memory, I'll give it a try again.

I'm reminded of what one of the trainers at one of my gyms once said to me. I'd seen guys doing a particular weight workout. I tried it. Asked the trainer "What is this supposed to accomplish?" He replied by asking me "If you don't know what it does, why are you doing it?"

Two months back, and several weeks before my first scheduled golf lesson, I asked "Orange Whip: Will It Aid A Beginner?". The majority of the responses I got fell into "Yes. Go for it."

Yeah... no. With all due respect for, and thanks to, those who replied: That turned out to be a bad idea. A very bad idea. My swing was wrong, all wrong, and what working with that OW did was reinforce a thoroughly bad swing, making it that much harder for me to get my swing right.

I've had the thing out a couple times in the last couple days. I think I'm going to leave it in the bag for a while. I enjoy working out with it, but, because of those early experiences it seems to tend to revive bad practices in me, rather than improve me. Maybe once a good swing is thoroughly ingrained in me--has become muscle memory, I'll give it a try again.

I'm reminded of what one of the trainers at one of my gyms once said to me. I'd seen guys doing a particular weight workout. I tried it. Asked the trainer "What is this supposed to accomplish?" He replied by asking me "If you don't know what it does, why are you doing it?"
Every one I know who’s gotten the Orange 🍊 Whip has not progressed by only using that tool. If you don’t know the points I mentioned 👆 No rhythm type trainer is going to help

That’s our next video. Shhhh, don’t tell anyone in the OEM equipment business. I play 3-year old irons, 3-year old Fairways and 2-year old driver, wedges are usually new every other year, but last year’s model. 😂

Heretic. Blocked.

Lol!

I sometimes watch Shawn Clement videos for external focus ideas (not biomechanics) but they are all very repetitive because I understood the original ones years ago. The others relate to biomechanical studies (from well respected scientists like Dr Phil Cheetham, Dr Sasho MacKenzie, Dr Kwon and Dave Tutelman and tentatively Robert Grober ). If you really want to know what's happening in the golf swing its better to try and dig out all the scientific data first before you get sold a 'Red Herring'.

However , I do like some of the short game you-tube videos because there are so many different techniques and maybe some might just work for you.

I'm not even sure what the Orange Whip is. I've heard of it a lot from years back. Is it to promote speed?
I've definitely done my part over the years to support the golf economy. ;) I'm afraid the training aids market would shrivel up if it depended on consumers like me. Most lessons I've taken over the years, the pro just uses a club or a glove or some simple thing for drills and shows you how.
That's a weird response from a personal trainer. What an easy opp to try to drum up some biz for him!:unsure::D

I can find it quite funny when people post YT videos and say they will fix problems as how do you know exactly what your issue is? Everyone is different and their swings are different, you just need to look at Jim Furyk and Matt Wolff to see how unique some swings can be

The way I understand it is that there can be multiple reasons for any given issue in the result of your swing, so someone quoting a fix for 'x' might not be what you need - how do you know you are implementing the 'fix' when you practice without any feedback?

I have always said the best way to improve is to work with someone face to face so that they can get to know you and your swing, but also get to know any limitations you have with your body, as you may not be able to physically manage what a YT instructor is telling you

I knew someone who was constantly talking about videos that helped with various issues in his swing, yet strangely enough he got worse rather than better after all this 'instruction', whereas I spent a couple years removing bad habits and developing a more consistent swing and have seen my handicap drop from mid-teens down to 9 (with a short blip back up to 10 in this time)

If you are serious about getting better, I would always recommend finding an instructor to work with in person

THPers, @TrueMotionTim Tim did a simple video of how you can improve your golf game, Right NOW! If you don't have time for a video (this probably doesn't apply to you😂) here's the cold hard Truth: STOP WATCHING YOUTUBE! Check it out 👇to see why.

Close to 100% of beginners who see us, when we ask them, "How have been learning golf up to this point?", they respond, without hesitation, "YouTube!"

And what does that person's swing typically look like? Terrible SetUp (too "athletic") , club is flat and behind them going back, ripped way inside, and the downswing is a heave, over the top banana slice. Can't wait for the debate. 😂

It depends on your definition of "beginner". I'm far from a good golfer, but I've been able to identify and obtain some valuable tips and lessons for things to work on. If someone has a decent swing to begin with, good video on their phone and some basic intellectual capacity, there are some things you can quickly pick up and realize in terms of what you struggle with.

Obviously, I'd rather have time for lessons and to hit 5,000 golf balls, but many of us don't have that kind of time.

I thought this thread was directly aimed at me...until I read about the OTT banana slice lol.
Snatching it way inside is easy...I just can't get back unstuck and on plane from there.

Back