Here's a simple way to get better at golf! RIGHT NOW!

It depends on your definition of "beginner". I'm far from a good golfer, but I've been able to identify and obtain some valuable tips and lessons for things to work on. If someone has a decent swing to begin with, good video on their phone and some basic intellectual capacity, there are some things you can quickly pick up and realize in terms of what you struggle with.

Obviously, I'd rather have time for lessons and to hit 5,000 golf balls, but many of us don't have that kind of time.
The thing is, we can usually save someone the 45 min drive to the range (unless they just want to get away), the 45 mins time suck at the range, and get them to do some reps at home and make leaps and bounds over someone who just pounds balls, and faster.

By training your motion patterns at home, with video feedback, you can accomplish far faster swing transformations than trying to figure it out yourself via YT and a driving range.

The thing is, we can usually save someone the 45 min drive to the range (unless they just want to get away), the 45 mins time suck at the range, and get them to do some reps at home and make leaps and bounds over someone who just pounds balls, and faster.

By training your motion patterns at home, with video feedback, you can accomplish far faster swing transformations than trying to figure it out yourself via YT and a driving range.

I may give you guys a try post-season. I'll have more time and will be looking for things I can practice and do more at home!

So where is True Motion Golf located? Or is this just an online thing?

Last edited:
I may give you guys a try post-season. I'll have more time and will be looking for things I can practice and do more at home!
We will hopefully have our full Golf Academy ready for everyones' post season, that's our plan for sure.

I have been following Clay Ballard and TopSpeed Golf for a couple of years trying to stay with one method

I have been following Clay Ballard and TopSpeed Golf for a couple of years trying to stay with one method
I might give you all a try too and do agree that video of your swing is a powerful feedback tool

I hope it's working for you...just make sure you're getting better, because that's all that matters. If not, you likely need feedback and a watchful eye.

I hope it's working for you...just make sure you're getting better, because that's all that matters. If not, you likely need feedback and a watchful eye.
So far this year I have dropped approximately 8 strokes. But I practice an hour per day, 4-5 days a week. So I think it is working maybe not quick enough but golf is hard and I am old

I will say that the “ball forward” drill that I found on YT has helped me immensely. Other than that, there have been some good YT tidbits on chipping and putting that have helped but sometimes (more than not) I have learned things that don’t work for me. Just my .02 cents.

So much in this thread. A few things I've learned.
  • Balance is WAY underrated. In fact, for most golfers it's all but completely ignored.
  • Most golfers are in search of the magic pill.
  • Most golfers and instructors are in the mode of tell me what to do as opposed to any deeper learning.

So much in this thread. A few things I've learned.
  • Balance is WAY underrated. In fact, for most golfers it's all but completely ignored.
  • Most golfers are in search of the magic pill.
  • Most golfers and instructors are in the mode of tell me what to do as opposed to any deeper learning.
We do both, we give players a simple way to do things, then ask them to replicate it for us and send us video to make sure. If they can't get it with simple instruction, then we have detailed videos for them to look at, or we just course correct them. Then they do reps at home to get better....it's a Plan for how to get better, not just entertainment.

In a way it is right, you can't start playing good golf if you only watch videos on Youtube. It is like my brother, he thinks if he watches a lot of UFC he is also a good fighter lol. So, I think that it is impossible not to watch videos if you really like to do something. For example, I am a beginner in gold and I am really excited to play it. Always after the game, when I go home, I watch golf games and tutorials about how to get better. Recently, I saw a review of the Best golf launch monitor, I saw how that guy improved his skill in a week and he played really nice! I also ordered one for me and soon it will arrive. I hope it will help me as well!

Last edited:
I’m not sure what to watch on YouTube anymore! Thanks a lot!

I’m not sure what to watch on YouTube anymore! Thanks a lot!
It’s entertainment...we haven’t started a YouTube channel yet, but are open to ideas of what we should put out there. Ideas?

I have a friend who is fairly new to the game, has money to buy the latest equipment, took lessons when he started but now gets all of his lessons/advice from YT.

On the course he gives advice and quick lessons to others. :rolleyes:

The problem is people tend to avoid working on rudimentary baseline movements. The pro's I've known, and still know, continually work on things amateurs would consider to be moves they've mastered. One guy on the Japan tour at my old club did nothing but take the club to the top....hold...then moved half-way down, then stopped....then back to address...up....halfway down...stop...repeated over and over...it had to go on for at least two hours...with real-time video and a coach. I recall Tiger doing 3 hours of nothing but half-swing takeaways....back...stop...down...repeat. I recall pro's before a tourney at PGA West on the putting green when I teed-off, then after the round they were STILL on the putting green with alignment sticks / mirrors / strings. They work on what we would consider to be mundane boring stuff to an extent that would shock people. That said, golf is their career and as such they cannot overlook any baseline fundamental.

Here's a video of Tiger with Butch Harmon. At the 3:25 mark he talks about a drill that he hated, but had to do to get his arms in front of his body. It took Tiger about a year to get the move down....a YEAR. Then listen to what Butch Harmon says not long after that. LOL.

I work on my Setup and Takeaway and Backswing constantly. If I get those right, the downswing is easier.
There's absolutely no doubt about that....but it's "boring" vs. hitting 123 7-irons without realizing that 85% would not hit the green on the course. (y)

They work on what we would consider to be mundane boring stuff to an extent that would shock people. That said, golf is their career and as such they cannot overlook any baseline fundamental.
I tend to post a lot (probably too much) about how hard I've worked and how gains made never seem to stick. But it's likely a lot of that time and effort was spent just chasing my tail instead of really focusing as well as others do???

I think a good instructor can help make sure their student is not only doing the right drills the right way and for the right reasons, they can maybe tell when the student has ingrained the drill into their swing. I think it takes a serious and - for some of us - long-term commitment.

We might not be pros, but we are passionate about improving.

I tend to post a lot (probably too much) about how hard I've worked and how gains made never seem to stick. But it's likely a lot of that time and effort was spent just chasing my tail instead of really focusing as well as others do???

I think a good instructor can help make sure their student is not only doing the right drills the right way and for the right reasons, they can maybe tell when the student has ingrained the drill into their swing. I think it takes a serious and - for some of us - long-term commitment.

We might not be pros, but we are passionate about improving.
I agree. I can't tell you how many times I've sat down to play a fairly complicated piano piece only to find I have to play it by breaking it down measure by measure. Who am I fooling otherwise? LOL. I have found that if something is repeated enough...the RIGHT way...that the brain "finally decides" it's OK to do permanently. There's no timeframe...there's no "I've got this" moment despite the belief.

I work on my Setup and Takeaway and Backswing constantly. If I get those right, the downswing is easier.
Much easier. In fact, nearly automatic. I jumped in because I think it's worth pointing out that there is BIG payback for the time invested. Yes, some of these drills are really boring! So, in order to stay with it you have to know there is a big payback.

Back