High School Golf Thread

Bit of nerves already for this dad.... Another varisty tourney/opportunity for the oldest today. Fingers crossed the chipping work we did the other day sticks.

Bit of nerves already for this dad.... Another varisty tourney/opportunity for the oldest today. Fingers crossed the chipping work we did the other day sticks.
Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!
Thanks.

The other day she learned how important it was to keep the grooves clean on her wedges... She saw the difference between dirty and clean as one ball checked up and the other didn't stop. So goal today - 2 putts per hole and clean clubs.

Good luck to your daughter. Hopefully it’s not as overwhelming as when she got her varsity bag.

Its gonna be great. I forget, have you been banned from the course yet, or is she just trying not to acknowledge you?

Its gonna be great. I forget, have you been banned from the course yet, or is she just trying not to acknowledge you?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

She keeps a note "Don't look at Dad!"

Ya know - overall today was great. She shot 62... but she wasn't last... and her chipping was much better than last week. Now just to learn touch and distance on some of those chips. Our home course is tough. Even more so when you're playing a tourney. I was proud of how she maintained composure and then later wanted to talk through some holes while we were on our way to VB practice.

The best part of today was watching her have to think through some tough situations on the course... bad lies, awkward stances, and even thinking about and using her 9 iron in a chipping situation which turned out to equal one of her pars today.

She plays another tourney tomorrow - 18 holes and is supposed to play another on Thursday that she's not going to as she has a test she can't miss.

Super proud of her today. It was a well earned and hard fought 62 that I'm not sure I would have finished the round.

So, I won't lie, I backed off of this thread because it again turned a way I wasn't thrilled with. I figure it was better to just leave it alone than to be told what I'm doing wrong. ;)

That said, my boys completed regionals yesterday and my girls last week, both teams have qualified for state. That makes the third time for my boys since becoming the coach and the 12th year in a row the girls have made it as a team.

Boys were regional runners up to qualify, missing first by 3 shots. Girls finished T3 in the most lopsided region in the state with 4/10 top ten teams in it (we have 4 regionals for our classification).

So, girls state is set to begin tomorrow on our course and we should have a real shot, though NEXT year is the year I absolutely EXPECT us to win (bring back all starters). Boys is at Boiling Springs GC on the sandbelt on Monday and Tuesday, which means 4 days in a hotel 3.5 hours from home with my kiddos, that will be...interesting. hahaha

Wanted to update those of you you have always been supportive. This is why my posting is down this past month. I put my heart and soul into coaching, its what I was put on earth to do and the only thing I believe I'm truly great at. So, when that was questioned in here, I stepped away, but a lot of you guys have always been there to support my kids and I, so I wanted you to know what was going on!

So, I won't lie, I backed off of this thread because it again turned a way I wasn't thrilled with. I figure it was better to just leave it alone than to be told what I'm doing wrong. ;)

That said, my boys completed regionals yesterday and my girls last week, both teams have qualified for state. That makes the third time for my boys since becoming the coach and the 12th year in a row the girls have made it as a team.

Boys were regional runners up to qualify, missing first by 3 shots. Girls finished T3 in the most lopsided region in the state with 4/10 top ten teams in it (we have 4 regionals for our classification).

So, girls state is set to begin tomorrow on our course and we should have a real shot, though NEXT year is the year I absolutely EXPECT us to win (bring back all starters). Boys is at Boiling Springs GC on the sandbelt on Monday and Tuesday, which means 4 days in a hotel 3.5 hours from home with my kiddos, that will be...interesting. hahaha

Wanted to update those of you you have always been supportive. This is why my posting is down this past month. I put my heart and soul into coaching, its what I was put on earth to do and the only thing I believe I'm truly great at. So, when that was questioned in here, I stepped away, but a lot of you guys have always been there to support my kids and I, so I wanted you to know what was going on!
What a run!!! Congrats James! Love hearing about the success that your kids are having - and it wouldn't happen without a great and supportive coach! Good luck to both teams. Make sure you update us on how things end up! Again - Congrats!!!

That's awesome and keep up the good work @Jman!

Welp - last tournament of the season for my oldest coming up on Tuesday. In her first year (she's a freshman), she's solidly the #4 bag on varsity - we're not good but could be in 3 years or so. The team plays in a 2 day section tournament and in order to get to day 2 the team needs to be in the top 6, or she needs to be in the top 12 of the girls that are not on the day 2 teams. Based on the year so far and the pre-section tourney they played - her year should end on Tuesday.

I asked her last night if she's had fun this year and it was a resounding "yes". While she has yet to break 100 yet (102 was her best on a par 74) she's having a great time and will continue to play throughout the summer with us and possibly some Jr PGA tournaments (if time and volleyball allows).

I think the most difficult time has been for me as I watch her play, watch her struggle through bad shots, bad swing thoughts, and I see her getting into her own head.... knowing that I can't really say anything to assist her or get her back on track. It's the battle that's the most difficult - but it's also been the most rewarding in seeing her mature and grow in her game and life overall.

I've seen her mentally work through what shots to hit and the successes that have come with those plans. I thought she should have hit driver on a hole last week on a long par 5 with water on the right and hazard on the left. She went 4 hy, 4hy, 7 iron into the green with a 2 putt par. I was so damn proud of her, not due to the par, but the fact that she stuck with her decision as all the other girls were hitting drivers and putting themselves into bad spots. She's learned how to play the swing you brought to the course that day as well. Sometimes it's fade, sometimes it's a pull, sometimes it's somewhere else. But she's making those game-management decisions we all sometimes struggle to make.

In the end, it's been a good year for her. She didn't expect the success that she's had. There will be no state championship, no all-conference, no MVP for the team, really no accolades, except for the fact that she is where she needs to be, having fun, and enjoys the game. I'm dang proud of her and so very appreciative of the coaches.

I posted this in the happy thread but it should really go here. :)

I'm super happy for my high school junior daughter who made it through sectionals to qualify for the state tournament June 13th-14th. . She overcame a poor start on Tuesday in some crazy 25-45mph winds and today finished with the 3rd best 2nd round score in windy but manageable conditions. She chipped in from 65 feet for birdie on a par 5 and made a couple of 12-15 footers. She has the putting gene that my dad had but it somehow skipped me, lol.

They take the winning team from the section and the top 5 individual scores not on the winning team. She's the only one on her team to make it to state the last two years and I couldn't be prouder!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 3.29.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-02 at 3.29.05 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I posted this in the happy thread but it should really go here. :)

I'm super happy for my high school junior daughter who made it through sectionals to qualify for the state tournament June 13th-14th. . She overcame a poor start on Tuesday in some crazy 25-45mph winds and today finished with the 3rd best 2nd round score in windy but manageable conditions. She chipped in from 65 feet for birdie on a par 5 and made a couple of 12-15 footers. She has the putting gene that my dad had but it somehow skipped me, lol.

They take the winning team from the section and the top 5 individual scores not on the winning team. She's the only one on her team to make it to state the last two years and I couldn't be prouder!
that's awesome! Tell her Congrats!!!

High school golf season has come to an end for my 9th grader. She played a course a few hours north of us by the name of Rich Springs. A funky, tight course...

She had some pretty high expectations going in as she had played well going in - even knowing she would be lucky to make day 2 (shot her lowest score for the year the week before - almost breaking 100)...

Well the team made day 2... and she shot her 2 worst scores of the year - crumbling like a house of cards under the personal pressure of wanting to perform well.

When she was done with round 2 she called in tears - embarrassed... saying she's quitting golf. ..... for this week.

Went out last night with her and my wife to play 9... she shot 43. Best 9-hole score of the year. She was pretty excited last night. so all is not lost.

High school golf season has come to an end for my 9th grader. She played a course a few hours north of us by the name of Rich Springs. A funky, tight course...

She had some pretty high expectations going in as she had played well going in - even knowing she would be lucky to make day 2 (shot her lowest score for the year the week before - almost breaking 100)...

Well the team made day 2... and she shot her 2 worst scores of the year - crumbling like a house of cards under the personal pressure of wanting to perform well.

When she was done with round 2 she called in tears - embarrassed... saying she's quitting golf. ..... for this week.

Went out last night with her and my wife to play 9... she shot 43. Best 9-hole score of the year. She was pretty excited last night. so all is not lost.
It's a fickle mistress, golf is.

Glad she went back out and had fun. Sometimes you just need a safe and comfortable setting to get back in the groove.

My daughter didn’t have her “A” game but had a great attitude at the MN state high school golf tournament Tuesday and Wednesday. She finished 42nd out of 88 golfers and it was a fantastic experience We had some crazy weather with the day one 103 heat index coupled with 40mph gusts and the 2 hour rain delay yesterday that shortened the second round to 9 holes. She was mostly smiles through the two days which in the end is all that matters.

DC009CFD-F90F-4185-97D8-A66E8F9A2DBF.jpeg

My Senior HS Granddaughter completed her HS golf a few weeks ago. This was her second trip to state. Finished in the middle of the pack.

This year was her best effort after taking up the game 3 years ago.

She did pretty well considering. She has very little time to practice, and this years coach was not very good. Her parents foots the bill for weekend swing instruction for her, and her younger sister from a Lady PGA Pro in Vegas.

She's a Cheerleader, she has a job, home chores, and she's in a special studies program that will see her earn her Associate's degree before she receives her HS diploma. She actually doesn't attend HS, other than sports events. Doesn't leave her a lot of time for golf.

Best thing golf wise that happen this year is she's decided to stay with golf, and participate in the local pga programs available for youngsters, while keeping up with her weekly pga instruction.

Her younger sister told me a few days ago that she plans on playing HS golf next year. She also hinted that a new Clicgear Trolley would be nice. ;)

Rules are rules, I guess…. How about no phones on the golf course? Maybe that oughta be one….

They are actually required by the state athletic association to keep their scores on an app using their phones. That would be pretty difficult.

Thought I'd post here first. I was playing (Sat league playoffs) Windmill Lakes in Kent OH and a guy walked by - I said "Hi" - all the time thinking "I know this guy, where have I met him before?" Turns out it was Ben Curtis. He is now the golf coach for Kent Roosevelt HS (pretty sure his son is on the team now). There was a big HS boys tournament starting as we were finishing up.

How cool would it be to have a major champion coaching you up? Almost as good as having @Jman, I reckon!

I'm wondering how THPers' kids did this past season? Let us know if you have time

Back