Perkins Rooster

Reaction score
Handicap
10.1 RCGA
Hi there. I'm confused about whether the hips should slide forward, and if so how much during the downswing. I was pushing the ball right and felt that I wasn't squaring up the club face consistently, so I have been working on the 'feet together drill', which has helped. This drill has given me the feeling that I was sliding my hips too far forward previously, but I'm not sure. Is there a good drill that will give me the feeling of what the hips should be doing?

thanks
PR

For me this video from Shawn Clement helped a lot. I talks about weight shift, but I guess this is similar. The main point seems to be that when hitting the ball you have more weight on left leg.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw

Please keep this section clean until GolfTEC has had a chance to come in and answer.

perkinsrooster - You can use either a range basket or something like a golf shaft that would stick into the ground. You would place it about 1 inch outisde of your front foot at setup. If you slide into the basket or whatever then you are doing too much. If you can stay behind it but still get to a full finish with your weight clearly on your front foot then you are ok.

There is a slight bump or forward movement of the hips but its not as much as a lot of people think it is.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Thanks Patrick!

Back