Ive always read and been told that you should play it like an iron. I always used to struggle with hybrids too and for me it was more because I wanted to sweep them off the turf like a fairway wood and I had to learn to hit down on them and trust the club's ability to get the ball into the air.
Sometimes too, a club just doesnt suit you. Recently, I picked up a couple used Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi hybrids and just didnt get along with them. I actually hit my cheap set of Pinemeadow PGX hybrids much better. I couldnt get the club up in the air with the Mizunos and the distance wasnt very good with them but I can hit these Pinemeadows out of any lie and they hit the ball straight and high but not too high. Its a shame too because I really wanted to love the Mizunos but sometimes you need to throw brand out the window and just use what works.

I believe a hybrid, just like a fairway wood, needs to be hit down on for success. Sweeping/positive AOA is for the tee. Generally most hybrids are designed to go left and fairways are more neutral. Also shaft will make a big difference. Most forgiving hybrids have ultralight shafts.

I play mine a little further in my stance than my 4i. I usually try to hit a little cut to straight with mine off the deck and draw it off the tee.

I am really enjoying hitting this Steelhead so far. It is by far the easiest hybrid I have ever hit and is actually a lot of fun. I used it on my second shot on the par 5 8th hole from forever out and almost made the green. I was stunned at how far it went. I think it may be as far as my Heavenwood.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If you figure it out, let me know. My 816 started out great but it’s a dang hook machine now. So much so I find myself playing around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you figure it out, let me know. My 816 started out great but it’s a dang hook machine now. So much so I find myself playing around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For me the key has been just swinging a bit easier. The first few swings with it I went at it a bit hard resulting in just mediocre results. When I dialed it back a touch it went like it was out of a cannon.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I play them just a little forward of center and my approach into the ball is similar to what would be with a 3-iron (if I still played one). Descending but not nearly as vertical as a mid-iron.

Back