Hitting ball too high with short irons

StanTheCaddy

Who wants 2 have some fun
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8 USGA
Over the off-season I changed my grip to get more consistent results. I had a very strong grip and struggled hitting consistent shots. I'm now at a more neutral grip and seem to be hitting the ball straighter. While I've been happy with the ball flight of my woods and irons, I've been hitting my short irons way too high. I'm probably losing about 15 yards because I'm hitting the ball straight up in the air. I'm wondering if anyone has an idea why I'm hitting my woods and long irons with a nice mid ball flight while I'm ballooning my short irons. Thanks THP.

Could it be that you were delofting your clubs before with your strong grip and now you are simply hitting them at their true lofts?

Could it be that you were delofting your clubs before with your strong grip and now you are simply hitting them at their true lofts?

I probably was delofting with the stronger grip. I just don't get why I've gotten back to my same distances with my woods and long irons but not with my short irons.

Distance isn't the best indicator or a pure strike. Just keep that in mind.

Without seeing a swing or launch numbers, I couldn't even guess.

Coming in too steep with a bent left arm perhaps?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

I may have to get a video to put it up on here. I'll see if I can get one of a 6 iron and one of a PW. I'm hitting the ball solidly but it's just going right in the air. I'm pretty sure my launch angle with the short irons is too high.

Tough to say without seeing it but is it possible your hands are not a head of the ball at impact. A lot of people try to help lift the ball instead of attacking it. I use to do this.

Flipping the wrists at the bottom? One effect of a weaker grip is it allows more wrist bend on the way back and through. Maybe the wrists are getting active when you hit shorter clubs.

I can think of two things right off. Lack of forward shaft lean at impact or the ball is creeping forward in your stance resulting you hitting it more on the upswing.

Tough to say without seeing it but is it possible your hands are not a head of the ball at impact. A lot of people try to help lift the ball instead of attacking it. I use to do this.

Flipping the wrists at the bottom? One effect of a weaker grip is it allows more wrist bend on the way back and through. Maybe the wrists are getting active when you hit shorter clubs.

I can think of two things right off. Lack of forward shaft lean at impact or the ball is creeping forward in your stance resulting you hitting it more on the upswing.

Thanks guys. I do think I'm doing something along the lines of lifting the ball and not getting proper shaft lean. I'm going to pay attention to some of these things the next time on at the range.

I would agree with that...when my instructor switched me to a stronger grip my ball flight on my mid and short irons lowered quite a bit.

Back