Hitting the Center of the Club face

bassing33

Reaction score
Handicap
What are some tips or drills to help improve contact on the club face? I recently borrowed some well used clubs from a friend of mine who is a scratch golfer and there were very impressive wear marks where he constantly hit the ball in the same spot. How does one get to that point?

Lots of practice?

You start small and grow big. What I mean is you start with the wedge and chip shots. Working on the position of the ball in your swing path so that you strike the center of the club every time. Then you move to pitch shots, 1/2 swings, 3/4 swings and full swings........with each club in your bag.

Or you can take your 7i to the range and master that club. Always making sure your setup is correct to find the center of that face. You start small and get bigger. It will take time and lots of correct repetitive motion.

That answer brought a true smile to my face.

The alternative is having marks all over the face and saying "it brings character" :D

God given talent along with 10,000 hours of proper practice:act-up:

The alternative is having marks all over the face and saying "it brings character" :D

I am well on my way to accomplishing this.

Play a lot

/thread

Also good hand-eye coordination helps

What are some tips or drills to help improve contact on the club face? I recently borrowed some well used clubs from a friend of mine who is a scratch golfer and there were very impressive wear marks where he constantly hit the ball in the same spot. How does one get to that point?

Practice hitting various parts of the club face on purpose so that you learn to control club face.
Search for Adam Young’s Strike Plan

You start small and grow big. What I mean is you start with the wedge and chip shots. Working on the position of the ball in your swing path so that you strike the center of the club every time. Then you move to pitch shots, 1/2 swings, 3/4 swings and full swings........with each club in your bag.

Or you can take your 7i to the range and master that club. Always making sure your setup is correct to find the center of that face. You start small and get bigger. It will take time and lots of correct repetitive motion.

Thank you !!

Im working on this. For me, I have found that if I set up with the ball nearer the toe (or at least past centre) I seem to hit the face centre regularly. I check club face marks throughout a range session.

I must extend my arms a ball or half a ball length further at impact than my position at setup.

Back