Hobbies before or with golf

In my 20’s I was a touring musician, guitar and bass mostly. So music will always be a hobby of mine.

I also collect and restore/reclaim vintage espresso machines. Like this beauty that lives in our kitchen, luckily the wife really likes espresso.....

4ac565a1718f97015b7b8044e835f653.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video games are about the only other "hobby" I have.

Music also, my oldest son took after me and was in a country rock band. Took some of my better guitars with him. Only have a couple left.IMG_1360sm.jpg

In my early 20s, I flew/owned airplanes (wife ended that!), played B-league softball for 10 years, was into HAM radio, played golf, and rode a 3-wheeler dirtbike. Then the kids came, most toys gone except my HAM stuff. Studied up and ended up with an extra class license and a 40 foot tower. Coached the boys in little league for years, and when they became teenagers, got into dirtbikes. All my boys rode including my wife. Fast forward with kids all gone and grown up, got back into street motorcycles, continued to ride dirtbikes, sold dirtbikes after wife broke her leg, sold street bikes, got into mountain bikes (way safer, ya right!), and now into golf which is my new No.1 hobby. Still run the canyons with the Vette guys the second Saturday of every month. Have shaved 10 strokes off my game since starting back up 2 months ago.

I'm in three fantasy football leagues and run a golf fantasy league (majors + TPC only; it's more fun than you would think). A little into craft beer and a little more into good bourbon and Scotch but not enough into either to not be put off by beer or liquor snobs (you know who you are). If I ever get some real scratch put away, I would love to start collecting vintage golf stuff (old bags, clubs, etc.).

I am basically the unpaid labor for my wife's myriad house projects, which occupies roughly the same amount of time I would spend on any hobby. The tradeoff is she is more than cool with my golf jones and on nice days actually encourages me to go play.

I hunt when it’s to cold to play golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offshore fishing was my major hobby prior to golf. Used to go on 48-72 hour trips April-November each year.

In between those trips I fished inshore and near shore obsessively.

I also play guitar (very mediocre), drums (mediocre), ukulele (mediocre), and percusision (not too bad).

I played semi-professional poker for many years---and occasionally still do.

I am also in process of learning to play piano. Surprisingly, I seem to have some degree of aptitude. Enough to keep at it for awhile and see where it leads.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a guitar, though I don't really play it well. Used to play basketball and tennis for years, but that changed after my arm surgery. Nowadays I balance my hobbies such as videogames (yay, it's a sale on gog again https://www.gog.com/promo/20190930_weekly_sale) with hiking and camping. Though I don't usually travel far from my home the article on cleverwander gave me an idea to visit the Smoky Mountains one day.
72532528_2281121145332027_3524455686180985454_n.jpg

Wakeboarding since I was a teenager. Kind of gave it up after having kids. I bought a new boat this summer and decided to get back into it and as a result haven't played much golf.

I'm a porfolio of passions kind of person. Love any sport I can play. Did the baseball, football, basketball, wrestling, and track standards younger and lettered in tennis in college. Skiing (nordic, backcountry, and downhill) has been a foundation of my life -- still is. Love cycling (road, mountain, townie), hiking, whitewater, climbing, and whatever else I can find to do outside. I am also a nature person. I have spent a lot of time observing and learning about plants, animals, and ecological systems. Started a new passion with herding dogs, targeting herding sheep. Biggest challenge in my life is finding time and resources to do everything I love. And in all of that the golf bug has bitten me hard lately. I don't that one is going away.

I deer and turkey hunt in the fall and winter. I play basketball, softball and bowl. Also, love to shoot pistols

I play lacrosse, but injuries have had me sidelined for the past few years. So I guess it is turning into "played" lacrosse. other than golf I play video games, so I guess that could be considered a hobby

Football occupied most of my time through college and after years (flag football). I realized there wasn't money in flag football (except medical), so I ditched that or was told to ditch it. I was an assistant coach for a pee-wee football team as well as an soccer coach. I didn't know what else to do until my early 30's someone told me about golf. Being the competitive person that I am I didn't like golf because I wasn't good at it, and I wasn't good because I didn't practice because I thought it was an easy game. How hard is it to hit a ball..seriously, well I found out. Long story short still playing the game after being retired, love it, but still not good. Oh I also started to get into cooking along the way, not only grilling and smoking but ethnic dishes as well main stream. Music is my second love, listening to oldies and country.

I deer and turkey hunt in the fall and winter. I play basketball, softball and bowl. Also, love to shoot pistols

You and I could be friends.

SCUBA (50-60 dives over 2 years or so in Hawaii and a handful in Guam), running (2 full marathons and 7 half marathons), trail riding/offroading/Jeeping (spent more on that Jeep than I could possibly ever spend playing golf, I think. Had a 2009 4dr Wrangler on 41" tires, one ton axles, 4spd transfer case, etc.), and now back to golf.

I miss hunting. I used to hunt often as a kid in WV. I've hunted a few times since, but killed my last deer in 2010 (maybe 2009). It has definitely been a while.

Computer building, gaming . Also played baseball on a team which went to the provincial finals twice in a row

I miss hunting. I used to hunt often as a kid in WV. I've hunted a few times since, but killed my last deer in 2010 (maybe 2009). It has definitely been a while.
Me, too. I had it narrowed down to just rabbit and squirrel, and I even stopped doing that about 10 years ago. Only things I kill these days are range targets.

I grew up running. When my knees blew up in high school I stopped running and focused on bodyboarding. After graduating it came down to going to school or trying to go pro. I went to school, now I haven't ridden a wave in probably 15 years. Between cost of boards and travel, it wasn't cheap. Got more into cars, specifically Mustangs and drag racing. Parts, work I couldn't do myself, travel to races, breakage... that all really added up. After I started my business, I stopped with cars and the gun thing really took off. Ended up being talked into becoming an instructor by a friend of mine who already was, and we did a lot of concealed carry and defensive handgun courses teaching probably hundreds of people. About that time, I had also gotten into Brazilian jiu jitsu, which I still love, and a little bit of muay thai.

After growing up wrestling with an older brother who is 6'5", the chess match of the grappling had me hooked. Shoulder injuries and my gym closing, combined with my schedule, I haven't rolled in years. I just saw a FB post last week, actually, that leads me to believe that the really really good BJJ school in Tallahassee may have a satellite school in my town that has had me seriously reconsider getting back into grappling. I also got dragged into hunting a few years ago by a friend of mine who is the generous type that says they'll provide everything, all you have to do is show up. Well, that lead to me getting my own gear and expanding my long gun repertoire to include scoped bolt guns. So there's just way more than you needed about the other things I've occupied my spare time with aside from golf.

TLDR: I pick cheap hobbies.[/sarcasm]

I'm also pretty keen on gifs.

that is my quiet place. love watching the sun come up when its about 20 degrees

I used to run long distance road races including marathons. Now, I occasionally run much shorter races with a preference for trail running.

for me it's fishing....sorry but if i had to choose between golf and fishing i would be fishing 9 out of 10 times

My non-golf hobbies have included tennis (still play), motorcycles (haven't had one for a couple of years), and drumming (primarily at church).

Hunting. Shooting guns, especially with suppressors. I like anything from .22’s to .308, bolt/lever/AR’s, pretty much all that goes bang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Back