Hobbies before or with golf

Soccer in high school and college. Snowboarding, bowling and slow pitch softball. Mostly just golf now.

Love to fish as much as I play golf. Mostly LMB. We have a bunch of horsepower restricted lakes and they are full of fish. I can easily spend an entire day on the water, sun up till sun down.

Been a musician for many years. I consider myself a guitarist, but I can play bass and drums too. I'm pretty decent, but I just play for mental therapy now, I pretty much just noodle around. Still love it though and I play daily.

My 4th passion is woodworking. Talk about therapeutic. I went to trade school young, and just became passionate about it. I mostly build furniture, but really only have time to build whatever my wife tells me to build. I consider it a winter sport, never want to spend my free time in my shop when the weather is nice. Just seems wrong.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've have many hobbies like backpacking, scrambling (light rock climbing) but no longer do either of those. I still cycle on my road bike and drag race.

Attachments

• Nat event2.jpg
    Nat event2.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 0
Used to play a lot of basketball. I broke a wrist about 5 years ago that has caused tendinitis and a cyst. 2 years ago I had a knee scare (sprain) that felt very unstable for a few months. I decided then at 37 my basketball days were going to be behind me. I stay in shape at the gym in more controlled motions. As a family we love to go boating during the summer.

20181216_114513.jpg

20181216_114322.jpg

7-14-06FRI%20109.jpg

7-14-06FRI%20104.jpg

Oldsmobile's My lifelong passion

DSB_1320.JPG

fireburnout.jpg

Drag racing

!cid__04-01-08_1751.jpg

Fishing

20181226_102314.jpg

Hiking

!cid__02-10-07_1312.jpg

Camping

Picture 153.jpg

Dirtbikes

I’ve been an avid skier since I was 6 years old and have logged almost as many days on the slopes(2,500+) as I have on the golf course. I also have been an avid fisherman and hunter and am now getting back into both now that I live in Minnesota again. I grew up around boats and boating, wake surfing, and paddle sports are now a big part of the summer for our family. We have two boats, three paddle boards, and two jet skis at our lake home where we spend about 50 days during the summer months. Last year we didn’t start until late June and had 200 hours on the boat engines and my son and his buddies had that much or more on the jet skis. When my youngest graduates in 4 years we will be spending 6 months on the gulf coast of Florida each year so boating, fishing, and golf will all become a year-round activity. My plan is to both boat and golf at least 150-200 days each year.

I was a football coach. My hobbies were football, football, lifting, football, and football 365 days a year.

I didn't have other hobbies (as in sports or recreation) after about age 24 but I have always been a collector of one thing or another...sports cards, WW2 uniforms, autographs, hockey fight dvd's, game worn hockey and baseball jerseys and equipment, etc..etc. I don't just dabble but rather jump in with both and get consumed by it and need everything. Recently is was golf equipment (which is why at 1 point I had 26 drivers and 8 sets of irons). It's a good thing I don't do drugs....i'd be a mess!!

Hunting, fishing & guns mostly. Used to do some competitive shooting but that takes more practice than golf to be at the level I wanted to be so I gave that up. Still ring steel quite a bit but just for fun with the wife now. She’s more into it than I am at this point. Knife making has piqued my interest lately but I’m not sure I have the time for it either.

Played hockey up until my mid 20's. Decently high level in my teens, so that took up 70% of my time outside of school. The other time in the summer was taken up by baseball.

From hockey training, running has always been a big hobby, though no longer participate in many organized runs.

Now it's still running and have added skiing along with golf.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Golf is a unique kind of sport, I like it and trying to spend every weekend playing with my friends. Except for it, I also like football and tennis but only watching online, because I am really bad at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing as awesome as the OP!

I was sports-centric. Basketball, baseball then softball, football then flag football.

I also used to draw, no real talent but not too bad. Funny, haven't had the urge to draw in decades but I will doodle some with the nephews and nieces.

Used to write prior to 9/11 (I was 11 yrs on the job with NYPD at the time). Short stories, poems and I was also writing two novels concurrently. No particular reason other than I craved the challenge and didn't want to obsess just one project. Where's the fun in that?

To strain my humble talents some, the main character in one happened to be female. You can discover quite a bit about your own self as you try to weave a story around a strong, determined yet vulnerable young woman. To make her believable, respectable, admirable and navigating a reality that I chose for her, striving to represent herself and her story as if the words would be perceived born from a woman's fingertips... now that was fun. Check the ego at the door, be real.

Following the events of 9/11, my former regard for the creative word vanished. Not writer's block per se, just unable to reconnect with my former passion. Thoughts, ideas, words, phrases, characters, all used to practically haunt me, taunt me, demanding I release them to paper, er... computer. Then, gone.

I won't even talk of what the books were about. 300 pages or so into one, 200 into the other. Not even sure where the heavily edited hardcopies or backups are.

LOL... so long ago, they're on floppy disk.

You can probably tell, I miss that part of me.

One of my main hobbies before golf was windsurfing. I competed on quite high national level for some years. Also a bit on European level. Now I seldom windsurf mostly due to golf addiction.

My other big hobby through the years have been playing music. This is also part of my income. I have done some touring on the hardrock/metal scene and released some records, but now mostly doing solo acoustic gigs
ac069a2c024704cabe2811632b282b9a.jpg
c1bbb85c23c084fada251e6248844dde.jpg

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Flyfishing, hockey, and golf, and I like good craft beers(is that a hobby).

Hockey was my thing before I got into golf and happy to say still playing it in the beer leagues. Awesome time with a great group of guys. Plus beers to go around. Seems to compliment golf pretty well with those descriptions.

Gambling hands down. I mean if you make a birdie and don't win at least a few skins/hole in Nassau does it even count as a birdie?

When I was younger I played a ton of soccer and roller hockey. As I got older I got into backpacking and mountaineering. Used to surf a bunch and still like to snowboard. Was a sponsored wakeboarder for much of my college years, did the flips etc and somehow managed to keep my ACL intact, still ride a few times a year. Now it’s all about mountain biking, picked that up a year ago. I like hobbies, if it’s outside and active I’m in!

my other hobby is land cruisers. Im obsessed ;)

Basic fitness to support golf

- 5-10km runs 1-3 times a week, regular and barefoot (with shoes).
- 15-25min Tabata HIIT excercises with kettlebel and bodyweight

Other

- learning to play bass after 30y pause.

I was a fairly serious trumpeter (All-State Orchestra, MENC All-East Band) and came this close to being a band director instead of an engineer. Did classical and jazz primarily. Bought a piccolo trumpet from my college band director and had all the wedding gigs I wnted with that. Gave it up at 38 when I had a one hour commute each way; two kids, 10 and 8; and a wife going back to grad school. I miss it and will probably dust them off sometime in the next five years. Back in those days, I ran to help my trumpet playing.

Some awesome hobbies in here, and some one might never think would belong to the same person as golf.. jealous of those with musical abilities, that's something I could never get my brain to absorb unfortunately

My other hobbies include cigars, motorcycle, and annoying the crap out of my wife.. probably the one I Excel at most actually

I love playing rec sports like volleyball and softball, they helped keep me in shape in the summer too .. nothing I did too seriously or daily, but a good break to the week

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Played a bunch of basketball in my younger day. I still enjoy shooting firearms.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I used to play football and basketball before knee surgery, but then I got into music. I did some DJ-stuff but quickly realized that I like acoustic instruments more. Touring life is great but also exhausting and didn't have enough money from it to pay my bills. I also worked as a journalist, worker and even as a beauty consultant (those were hard times). At least now I know how to build a barn or give advice on choosing a proper dandruff shampoo :D My latest hobby is collecting and restoring musical instruments, mostly guitars and vintage harmonicas.

Music...guitar specifically. Made part of a living at it for a while...wish I could do it for a living again, I'm super passionate about it.

Other hobbies? 20 years ago I was into ham radio...I like to fish...I haven't been active in either for a long time. I miss playing baseball. Hoping my move to Colorado opens new doors to new hobbies.

Soccer for about 8 years.

I hate running and don't have a left foot to kick...So what better position to be in than goalkeeper?

When I played on the big field I would just throw my body around to try and save shots. Didn't care.

When I shifted to 5v5 and a much smaller goal it was always fast paced and never any dull moments.

I was playing about 4x a week in leagues and it was pretty fun. But as the years went on, injuries started to add up, I cut down to 4x,3x,2x and even just once a week I just didn't care enough to play, I was over it.

And then the shift was 100% Golf.

Last edited:
Back