I ended up switching to American Home Shield and haven't had a claim over the last 11 months. So far, so good. I'm afraid to cancel it because I know I'll have a huge issue right after I cancel it.

Do a home inspection then. Cost of that is probably half of the renewal rate. If you wind up renewing, well then you know what to have AHS possibly fix.

We use Old Republic Home Protection. That's who the plan was with when we bought our house and we re-upped with them again for the 2nd year in the home.

We used it for the cold water heater AND the A/C in the first year. More than worth a year's worth of the plan cost. So far, on our re-up, we've only used it for the starter for our oven.

The trade call fee was $100 the first year and went down to $75 after the renewal.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes!!! Cold water heater! My brother from another mother!

I bought an older house a couple years ago and every few months think I should get a warranty...I just always think - am I going to pay for this thing and when something goes wrong, they won't cover it? I dunno...always debate whether it's worth it or not, and still haven't pulled the trigger. I'd want it more for the systems than appliances as when I bought it, they had put in a new stove and dishwasher and I bought new fridge, washer and dryer...so...pretty covered there.

But you never know what lurks beneath in some instances when it comes to plumbing or heating/cooling. Given the age of the house...probably wiser for me to do it at some point before I find out there is something I'm wishing I had coverage on.

Yes!!! Cold water heater! My brother from another mother!
Never have understood why anyone would want to heat hot water. Sounds like wasted energy to me.

I'd say I'd offer a warranty to a buyer just to avoid awkward scenarios.
If I bought an older house, I'd go in figuring it would need some things, more than likely.
It also seems they are putting in junk for appliances and HVAC into new homes, so a warranty after the first year or two might be a good idea there.

Even the HVAC outfits here that offer "service plans" it can be a headache. I only had good luck recently because I knew the part on the furnace and how it needed to be done. But they too tried to do "band-aid" fixes at times like with the A/C. Had a leak and they didn't want to fill the Freon or whatever that chemical is now. Took three trips out for them to get it right. (The outfit that installed the A/C and furnace, no less.)

I think good repair guys are like good club guys. Hard to find and invaluable.

We purchased our first home in 2017 and then sold and bought another in 2019. We’ve always been covered by a warranty and provided one to the buyers when we sold the house. Currently we’re using First American Home Warranty. I’ve filed two claims with them and had to battle tooth and nail to get one resolved due to mistakes by pencil pushers, but it was resolved to my satisfaction.

I have a pool so my plan is $86/mo and covers the house and the pool equipment. Lived here since 2018. First year (paid for by seller) we used ALOT and saved more than double the cost of it. Since then, we've probably saved about $300 total. The house is 36 years old so even if our initial impulse is to dump it, with my luck I'll have something happen right after I cancel, so we're keeping it for now.

how old was your home, if you built it new, did you get a warranty

Had AHS for a couple years at $75 s month after buying current house. They put bandaids on 2 AC units for over a year.

Cost us $15k to replace the 2 units and after hours of fighting with them they paid out $780. Their telephone reps were sent pretty much worthless.

2 AC units out in July in AZ is not fun especially when you think you’re covered by insurance and they won’t assist.

Back