Homemade ice cream

Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I grew up with the grands making it most weekends from March or April to October. Sometimes, it was plain ol’ vanilla or chocolate. Other times, we would add strawberries or bananas, or peaches, blackberries or blueberries the grands had grown.

They had one similar to this:

08d7834f88b0ba3ffb6ec8f75da8fe90.jpg

Lots of ice and rock salt. Early in the process, the younger kids had a turn at the crank. The older ones finished it.

Later, it was one like this:

Vintage-Proctor-Silex-Homemade-Ice-Cream-Maker-with.jpg

it certainly made it easier but just wasn’t the same. Now, we have a fancy Cuisinart that turns out good ice cream. The wife is away on a birthday spa weekend with her daughters so I might break it out for a treat this weekend.

Anyone else have a taste for some homemade ice cream?

Homemade ice cream is the best! Growing up we had one of the old school crank ones also. My parents eventually bought the electric one and we had one for awhile but didn't make it very often. It's so good to have during special occasions. One of my favorite things was homemade ice cream with my grandma's homemade chocolate syrup.

We make a couple batches in the old machine. My grandmas fudge sauce makes it super special.

We bought my dad one last year and man you can get creative... Berries, banana, pb, cookies cream, gingerbread, so many options, wish there was a bigger size.

We just have a very basic cheap one but it works well. Kids enjoy helping so it is a fun thing to do. My dad makes so much he has requests from people, most requests are banana nut or butterfinger.

Had a dairy farm down the street and would go there. Never made it at home. This is another one of those foods I have never had a bad ice cream....Ha

Have the white mountain one. It’s a bucket version and works great. Best ice cream around everyone says :)

e4793d6320045b72846e2887fe479287.jpg
ef1cce3c4cf713452260884b3ab9d505.jpg
14832844bd7d3e575143f582214f866d.jpg
a73134ff7175a474579faeb18ba14c4b.jpg

I like homemade ice cream but I've had some good and bad flavor wise.

Every time we go to camp we make homemade ice cream. Old hand crank one, want to guess who cranks it the last 30 minutes? :rolleyes:

We need to do this as soon as it get's warmer, so good.

Favorite flavor is lemon with fresh Maine wild blueberries. ❣

Never had it until I invaded my wife’s family. Her grandpa would make it for summer get togethers and it was always awesome.

That brings back memories of summer bbq with my grandparents. All of us grand kids would take turns doing the hand crank.

Have not made any in a few years. Need to get back into it this summer.

Have the white mountain one. It’s a bucket version and works great. Best ice cream around everyone says :)

e4793d6320045b72846e2887fe479287.jpg
ef1cce3c4cf713452260884b3ab9d505.jpg
14832844bd7d3e575143f582214f866d.jpg
a73134ff7175a474579faeb18ba14c4b.jpg

Get some homemade fudge sauce.... perfect consistency.

Have never made homemade Ice cream, but I’ve heard it’s the best!!! Need to make this a staple in our household once we get down to Florida.

Thanks for bringing this up @Parrot, I have not done it is years. I have a solid recipe at home for a coffee flavored ice cream. I am going to bust the machine out and make it happen this weekend, and pop back in here and share the recipe.

I do, but I live a half mile from a Culver’s. Vanilla custard is my blood type.

I grew up with the grands making it most weekends from March or April to October. Sometimes, it was plain ol’ vanilla or chocolate. Other times, we would add strawberries or bananas, or peaches, blackberries or blueberries the grands had grown.

They had one similar to this:

08d7834f88b0ba3ffb6ec8f75da8fe90.jpg

Lots of ice and rock salt. Early in the process, the younger kids had a turn at the crank. The older ones finished it.

Later, it was one like this:

Vintage-Proctor-Silex-Homemade-Ice-Cream-Maker-with.jpg

it certainly made it easier but just wasn’t the same. Now, we have a fancy Cuisinart that turns out good ice cream. The wife is away on a birthday spa weekend with her daughters so I might break it out for a treat this weekend.

Anyone else have a taste for some homemade ice cream?
This with family made maple syrup is my all time favorite dessert. In fact if I had to only have one for life it would be this.

We had one of similar build and color, but it was electric. Dad would break it out a few times a year in the 70's and early 80's and make strawberry ice cream!

We have a nice little electric ice cream machine. You freeze the bucket and are good to go. No rock salt, no ice. no fuss.

We have an old probably antique White Mountain hand crank. I thoroughly enjoy the ice cream that comes out of it. Something about turning that old crank makes it taste a little better too, I think. Love that I can slow down life a little bit during the summer, and we can gather on the back patio to make some homemade goodness!

We have a nice little electric ice cream machine. You freeze the bucket and are good to go. No rock salt, no ice. no fuss.

Ours is just a little bigger. It works well.

We have had a KitchenAid mixer attachment for the Ice Cream setup for almost 10 years...... and we haven't used it even once.

For the majority of those 10 years the attachment has been at the wife's restaurant getting put through it's paces.

Need to start using this thing, man I want some good ice cream.

Back