Honesty Time. What Is Your Biggest Weakness While Playing?

Back9Bully

Golf is deceptively simple
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What Is Your Biggest Weakness While Playing?
Whether it be:
- Iron/Driver Accuracy
- Knowing when to put the driver away
- Choosing the right club/distance control
- Maybe when to take a piece of humble pie and chip out to the fairway instead of threading a 3 inch gap 40 yard up through 2 trees (LOL).
- Putting stroke is wobbly
- Etc....

Off the bat, I'll say I used to try and hit to many "hero" shots. Getting older and my back telling me I'm getting older (Ha!). I stopped swinging out of my shoes and started making better club selection to hit some knock down shots and I'm seeing my score drop and my game become more consistent. Don't get me wrong, I still grip and rip it off the tee and maybe a reachable Par 5 in 2. :cool:

Iron play can be erratic.

Complete lack of confidence. I'm always focused on what not to do, instead of what I want to do.
I can totally relate to that. Early on while playing I struggled with the same mindset issues, "don't go right", "don't top it in the water" lol.
I did however just watch a cool video with J. Day, he says it's all a visual thing for him. Before every shot he envisions what a good shot looks like and what he wants the ball to do, then refers back to muscle memory on how to hit that shot.
It worked for me greatly! Maybe it will work for you as well! 👊 Keep grindin!!

I think greens in regulation. Whether it be from an errant tee shot (often) or a hook (semi-often). This is definitely a goal this year. Straighten out my shots and get more accurate.

Iron/driver accuracy for me. My distance control is pretty good because usually I find my ball about or close to pin high just not on the green!

Trying too hard to make up for a bad shot.
Same for me. Think I can recover in one shot instead of taking my medicine and moving on. Could get out with a bogey but end up with a triple or something.

When I'm play with guys who bomb the ball I tend to over-swing, unconsciously I try to keep up with them and then bad things happen.

Alcohol.

Biggest weakness? Probably driver accuracy. When it stays in play I typically play well but when it is crooked, my scores balloon quickly.

Putting has been hot and cold throughout my golf life, but chipping has been mainly just cold.

Jelly donuts...gotta have me some

Only really two things that I think stand out more than the rest. I do have some wedge issues, but I think I will get those, however erratic iron play and still not comfy with my woods. I know the problems with both, but trying to correct them has been challenging for me. I just need the time to make the adjustments and make them stick.

Putting. I don't have many 3 putts but just don't make near as many putts in the 4 - 10 foot range that I should. Seems like they all fall (about 1 of 15 rounds) or none fall (the other 14 of 15 rounds).

Consistency

Ego. I think I should be better than I am. I will try shots I have no business hitting. Finding humility with golf is a process for me, and accepting my game as it is will help me with game management and scoring. I am slowly accepting the reality.

All of the above in random order. I think that pretty much defines most high caps.

Between the ears. When I miss an easy putt and put together a couple of bad shots I'm terrible at pulling myself back together.

And by no means is that my only weakness, but it's the biggest.

The problem usually is something different - putting one day, driving the next, irons the next. I thought that was called "golf"!

My worst scores occur when I incur penalty strokes off the driver. My best scores occur when I make some putts.

I have a different weakness every time I go play. I'd have to say my putting is the most consistent weakness tho.

Being honest with myself, I would say my whole golf swing. From tee to approach I just need to get more consistent. I still can expect to at least slice at least one tee shot oob during a round and top or fat multiple approach shots every game. Alot of those shots I can trace back to putting to much pressure upon myself and playing golf swing instead of golf. I just need to start clearing my jumbled up mess of a head and try to shut off the swing thoughts and just play golf!
Hopefully adding a pre-shot routine to my game will help some and also more lessons and practices with a purpose using alignment sticks will help.
The only thing I feel that is a strength and has lowered my blowups has been my course management, saving my ass and playing smart has allowed to score consistently in the low to mid 90s but I know I can do better.
Or, it's the arrows not the Indian, I need to get fit for equipment and then get new! 😜

Back