How Critical Is Distance Measuring?

My one true point is read the markings on the ground...sprinklers, markers etc....They don't lie. Most courses have markings so GPS is more 2nd and confirming vs 1st priority. My visual distance measure is pretty good too.

If I could only hit the yardages I measure it may be worth while.

I left my rangefinder at home today. First time in ages I've tried to golf without having either exact yardage to the hole, or exact info to front/mid/back via a GPS unit.

Made me realize two fold;

1- I am seriously invested in distance measuring tools, and
2- My confidence is elevated by having such information

Do you feel the same way, or can you function just the same without confirmed numbers?
How did your round go? Scoring wise? and do you think your shots were short or long because you didn’t have distances?

I am not a good golfer so I do not rely on the range finder. I carry a bushnell that I will occasionally use but even if I know the pin is 107 yards doesn’t mean I’ll hit my wedge 107 every time. I use the course markers and estimate a lot.
I’m not sure if it’s right or wrong but that’s how I roll.

I can function the same if - big if - courses are edquately marked with yardages (but they usually aren’t). But I’ll say this, the laser has become a crutch and it’s hard not to go to it repeatedly even though I don’t always need to.

My caddie used a laser for my entire round on Saturday.

Knowing the yardage definitely is a comfort.

I've played a lot of rounds without my GPS, and it wasn't a big issue. The course has 150 yard markers and I can pretty much determine yardage from there. Its easier as I get older because any yardage over 175 is irrelevant, as I probably won't be able to reach the green from there anyway.

Last year I forgot my rangefinder. I'd changed the battery in it and left it on the kitchen table. I really depend upon it for club selection. How far away are the hazards. Do I lay up or can I carry them?

today I guesstimated a shot...luckily, it worked out

Back