How did you build your WITB?

fuffle master

5150 Lunatic Fringe 22’ GRANDADDY
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I have been playing a lot with my WITB for the last couple of years, and it seems I have mostly piecemealed my clubs. First getting the driver, then wedges, then putter, irons, finishing up with fairway woods and hybrids. Then start the same, but in different orders. Just picked up a Mavrik Max head to put in a new shaft coming. Kinda going at it as ways to fit my gaps and new items I liked or read good reviews.

I am wondering how others have built their bag? I am thinking a top-down approach would have been better, but that would mean starting a new. However, who doesn't like starting their bag all over ;)

What say you on the best way to build your bag?

Pure hoarding and then sorting.

all impulse purchases then figure out if i like it or not. then more impulse purchases......

Same as you really. Originally it was piece by piece in no specific order. But I have dialed in over time. I have replaced 10/14 clubs in the past six months. It's all by what catches my eye originally since I can't test many things. So I have to be a good internet golfer and do a lot of research. This place has been pretty great with stuff like that :D

I don't think there is a proper way to build your bag unless you're getting fitted. If you're doing it yourself, whatever works for you is a good way!

Mine was built for me and I can’t complain! Best way obviously is to win a THP contest 😏

I find the irons for me, and then build pieces around them by doing the hoard, sort, disassemble, and build. A driver first, then wedges to match the feel of my irons, then fill in the FW/Utility. It seems to be working for me.

So, I have been playing a lot with my WITB for the last couple of years, and it seems I have mostly piecemealed my clubs. First getting the driver, then wedges, then putter, irons, finishing up with fairway woods and hybrids. Then start the same, but in different orders. Just picked up a Mavrik Max head to put in a new shaft coming. Kinda going at it as ways to fit my gaps and new items I liked or read good reviews.

I am wondering how others have built their bag? I am thinking a top-down approach would have been better, but that would mean starting a new. However, who doesn't like starting their bag all over ;)

What say you on the best way to build your bag?

There's no best way unless you're loaded and have no family responsibilities to take care of first. Then it's get fit by like a Club Champion and off you go.

However, I'm like you, built my bag over last 3 years by a lot trial and error, mostly used clubs from CPO and ebay etc. Spent a lot time here reading reviews which is a huge help. My bag right now has one club I bought new, Bird of Prey, and that was from Callaway trading in a few clubs to make it just about an even trade.

Honestly, for me it's a lot fun hunting around and trying stuff, eventually getting to a happy place. :)

Hoard and sort. Choose things that look pretty and then realize I cant hit them. Get attached to a brand or not. Look at tour pros and then remember I'm not a tour pro. Lots of mistakes and lots of fun. Stumble into things I end up liking by accident and voila a bag for the next few months.

The best Golf Forum and a THP EXPERIENCE 29A580EA-1206-4B22-B15C-623C714A3144.jpeg

Impulse buying. Some reviews checked as well and see what I jive with

I guess my WITB was decided because of my fitting through Club Champions. The only thing that was my my pick was the Cleveland hybrids.

Mine started out as curiosity, attending a Callaway demo day at a local course. I had never attended a demo day, so decided to go check it out. Ended up getting fitted and buying a Mav Max driver. A week or so later I got the bug and decided it was about time to upgrade the rest of my bag, as all my clubs were 10 years old. Went and got fitted and ordered Mav irons, 5W, 5H, wedges and a putter. So within the space of less than two weeks, I had an entirely new bag from the top down.

a small little event called the grandaddy of em all

I looked thru the bargain bin at the local goodwill!
Found smoke black apex 19 irons in my exact flex and specs.

I got fit for my irons, wedges and putter. I bought my Driver off of Craigslist, 3 wood off of eBay and fairway from 2nd swing.

I am looking forward to 584 days from now to get fit for my whole bag.

I have no rhyme or reason and I never consider my bag finished ;) It's fluid like water.

I looked thru the bargain bin at the local goodwill!
Found smoke black apex 19 irons in my exact flex and specs.
Or at least that's the story you told your wife, right? :ROFLMAO::LOL:

Or at least that's the story you told your wife, right? :ROFLMAO::LOL:
She knows what I spent on my irons but not that I spent another 600 on wedges! Haha

I go down the fitting route, and tend to stick with stuff that works (my last 3 drivers including the current have been G410, XR16, R11). I’m a big believer in if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. As for the best way for building a bag, I don’t think it would bother me if I went too to bottom or vice versa.

Absolutely zero thought put into composition honestly.

If I get the urge for new irons, I look for irons. If I want a new driver, I look for a driver.
Purchases have slowed down, to the point of being non-existent to be honest.
Grabbed new wedges, a putter, and a utility iron last year, but that was really all.
Wedges were to try a different grind/bounce type.
Putter was just because I thought it looked cool.
Utility iron was because I hated my hybrid.

Everything else just stays because I refuse to buy irons or driver until I get fit for something now.

I got into the 2018 version of The Grandaddy, went to ECPC and let Callaway build it for me. :cool:

It's all the same except for some driver shaft tinkering and putter promiscuity. :ROFLMAO:

Read reviews, buy and test. If it works or feels okay, I’m keeping it.

Last edited:
Back