How do OEM's choose a stock shaft for their product?

FrankA

Catch ya on the flip side
Reaction score
How does a OEM decide on a stock shaft with new clubs? Some are making their own and others are using other manufacturers. Do they put a lot of thought and effort into or go to the lowest or highest bidder?

Yes, thought, numbers and many other things go into pairing a shaft for a driver. It is not going to be ideal for every golfer, but finding a shaft that will work for the masses is not easy.

Mr. Hoeflich did a radio show in which he addressed this. Something about finding a shaft that worked for the middle 80%, IIRC. Can't remember which show it was, I think it was the one where he anhswered THP'er questions.

JB do you know who makes the shaft that's stock in the RBZ's?

JB do you know who makes the shaft that's stock in the RBZ's?

Standard version: Aldila Phenom
Tour version: Matrix Xcon for Taylormade

I would be really surprised if any OEM clubmaker made any of their own branded shafts, graphite or steel.

Yeah I wondering if some shaft company made them for them and branded them or have they started to manufacture their own?

Should've clarified...the 85 gram shafts in the irons.

I would be really surprised if any OEM clubmaker made any of their own branded shafts, graphite or steel.

Yonex
Mizuno
Srixon/Cleveland (Miyazaki)

Yonex
Mizuno
Srixon/Cleveland (Miyazaki)

Mizuno is technically the Exsar brand right? Meaning they own them and C/S owns Miyazaki, so they own the shaft company but it's not technically the same company?

Callaway definitely makes their own grips, I'm pretty sure they have made their own shafts too.

Mizuno is technically the Exsar brand right? Meaning they own them and C/S owns Miyazaki, so they own the shaft company but it's not technically the same company?

Callaway definitely makes their own grips, I'm pretty sure they have made their own shafts too.

Thought Callaway clubs come with Callaway branded Winn grips?

Mizuno does not own Exsar, they are Exsar. Its the same company.
And I dont think you are right about Callaway at all.

Thought Callaway clubs come with Callaway branded Winn grips?

The new Razr Fit comes with a Golf Pride New Decade multi compound.

what are the differences between the "made for" shafts and the regular shafts? like the diamana made for titleist vs the normal diamana?

what are the differences between the "made for" shafts and the regular shafts? like the diamana made for titleist vs the normal diamana?

It depends on the shaft. While the general assumption is that they are watered down versions, this is not really accurate. It is normally a shaft that is slightly tweaked to better match the head it is being paired with.

PING has their own shaft offerings as well. I don't know if they make them themselves however. They do make their own grips though.

The new Razr Fit comes with a Golf Pride New Decade multi compound.

As a stock grip? Wow.

My reaction is for not that I believe you, but just how awesome that is. I've only ever noticed some of their irons, so I assumed they were all the same across the board.

As a stock grip? Wow.

My reaction is for not that I believe you, but just how awesome that is. I've only ever noticed some of their irons, so I assumed they were all the same across the board.

Agreed. I was fired up about hearing that as well. It is a big difference.

Agreed. I was fired up about hearing that as well. It is a big difference.

I'm not a Callaway fan, but this is a huge upgrade. I know not everyone like the MC's, but to have that extra grip on the driver, sounds perfect. Been thinking about putting them on my woods only.

I'm not a Callaway fan, but this is a huge upgrade. I know not everyone like the MC's, but to have that extra grip on the driver, sounds perfect. Been thinking about putting them on my woods only.

I love them. I have the black and red ones on my entire set. I will get them on my next set as well.

PING has their own shaft offerings as well. I don't know if they make them themselves however. They do make their own grips though.
They design them but farm them out. Aldila, Fujikura and UST make Ping's shafts for them.

In my (admittedly limited) experience there are not many better stock grips than on Pings, really nice and grippy even in the wet

Back