How do you afford golf?

Tell me about this putter collection you have going on. Do you primarily use one?
It is in my signature. The first 4 are my primary go to flatsticks. Lose little to nothing with the other 4 when I game them.

I have a strict golf budget that includes playing/practice/equipment. I spend it how I like. Normally means very little practicing. I try to play my County courses and walk wherever I can to keep per round costs down.

I have a decent income for my age, not married, and don't have kids. I also play cheap courses.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Save! Save! Save!

I lived pretty frugally all my life and now that I'm 37 and saved so much, I have no issues supporting my golf habit. When I was in my 20's it was either golf or some other form of blowing money - it wasn't both. When I did play, it was the cheapest place I could find and when I was living in NE, it was muni courses almost exclusively. Now, I can play places like Whistling Straits on a whim and it's a pretty good situation to be in.

Pay $600 per year for a yearly membership at a public course and always walk so no additional expenses. Will splurge for THP golf trips (official and unofficial) 4 or 5 times a year but not much else.

Aside from the putter collection, the rest of the bag generally stays constant for at least 2 years. Other than buying all new for my 50th birthday present to myself last December, I generally buy excellent condition used clubs and putters.

Paying off my mortgage 4 months ago certainly does not hurt the golf budget either!

$600?? I pay $300 a month and that is the cheapest around here. It does come with unlimited range and cart but still...

Golfnow, twilight golf, and 9 holes instead of 18. Those are some of the ways I save on golf.

$600?? I pay $300 a month and that is the cheapest around here. It does come with unlimited range and cart but still...
Yeah, I was shocked, but certainly didn't complain, when I moved to south GA 7 years ago. Not a plush CC by any means, but it is a challenging track that is pretty well kept up.

In my province we have the highest ratio of golf courses per capita, more than anywhere else in the world. The courses compete for our dollars.
My home 9 hole course is $550 (driving range included), and with my membership card I can get 50% off green fees at 9 other golf courses that are teamed up with us. All in the immediate area (nothing more than an hour away).
And almost all courses have a 2 for 1 green fees days as well, or $40 for cart and round, etc.
If you wait for deals, golf here is very affordable!

We are really fortunate in that in our area there is a deal called GreatLife where you pay $49 a month and get unlimited golf at 2 courses in town plus almost every local course within 30 miles is free. Access to a few different fitness clubs is also included. My wife also gets a discount through work so we actually get a family membership for the price of a single. Can't beat this!

The main I way I have afforded to play as much as I have this year is just to cut back other expenses. Smaller vacations, less $$$ put into my cars, and less time out and about after work. I typically play muni courses so any wheres from $15-30 for 9 holes, which is what I play most of the time as I play alot after work. Also being single and no kids helps alot.
Also one of the courses I play quite regualrly is only $750 a year for a memebrship and that includes a cart, really thinking about getting a member ship there next year.

I joined a local private course. Monthly fee is only $114.95 per month. I walk so I don't pay cart fees. I play at least 12 days a month so I more than get my money's worth.

I play other course with friends a dozen or so times a year and that is about $30 a round.

If it weren't for my club membership, and I had to pay green fees every time I play, I couldn't afford to play as often as I do.

I try to budget, but it's tough.

take advantage of golf now hot deals as much as possible

No kids and when not golfing I am working.

Golf is honestly my only thing that I do other than work and the occasional night on ps4/xbox

Worked hard, saved, retired, own my house and cars, kids grown and on their own. Now is my wife's and my "me" time. Golf is my thing when it's in season. You will get there someday.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I'm lucky that most courses in my area are between $25-$80. Average price for some nice courses is only $40-$50. You can also get a season pass at a decent MUNY for @$300.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I am lucky that I live in an area that has several good courses that cost about $30 for 18 holes (walking)
We get lots of Canadian folks that travel down, "on holiday" just for the cheap golf.

Strict budgeting and zero other hobbies.

There was a period where I brought lunch to work instead of eating out ... that was enough saving for a cheap round of golf.

Last edited:
I have no kids, no wife, and a lot of low interest debt. So most of my income stays with me.

Having two incomes, no kids and I don't play every weekend. range has a deal for 30% more balls if you spend $100 on ekey.

I pay down my credit cards in FULL every single month, so it's very easy to budget and get an idea how much I can reasonably spend on my hobbies after the mandatory expenses.

In a less technical sense, I limit my equipment purchases, buy used gear whenever possible if I do, and I play most of the time at local reasonable courses. I also frequently go the range instead of playing to save some cash. Splurges are for a few very nice courses a year and 1-2 THP Events.

It's impossible to not mention though that I do make pretty decent money and have no kids, and that definitely enables me to play and practice as frequently as I do. I do not deny that I am fortunate.

We are really fortunate in that in our area there is a deal called GreatLife where you pay $49 a month and get unlimited golf at 2 courses in town plus almost every local course within 30 miles is free. Access to a few different fitness clubs is also included. My wife also gets a discount through work so we actually get a family membership for the price of a single. Can't beat this!
Wow that's an awesome deal!

I pay a monthly membership and basically $12 for a cart fee each round. It's too hot to walk now in Texas, otherwise I'd just have to pay monthly membership fee. Range and practice areas aren't amazing but they're included in the price. I'll play other courses on occasion.

Range membership and I scouted out some relatively inexpensive courses that are well cared for.

And when I'm 72 and my house is nearly paid off I'll take out a reverse mortgage.

Golfnow...group golfer deals etc help for my local rounds
Woukd love to find a deal on after work 9 hoke rounds but these places are crazy for how much they want

Back