How do you approach partial shots (touch shots under 100yds)

For the most part I always used to rely on a 'see it - feel it' approach with a single club, or sometimes two. I tried a few times to adopt the more systematic approaches (clock matrix, 4x4 matrix, etc...) but could never master them well enough to be as effective on the course as my feel approach.

That all changed last year. I figured out a multi-club distance matrix system that made better sense to me and it has therefore been very reliable for me on the course. Instead of recording whatever exact yardage I got from several clubs at several length swings I looked at it bass-akward. I built my matrix in discreet 5 yard increments from 40 out to 145 and learned which clubs and at what repeatable swing lengths I hit those distances. It incorporates my LW, SW, GW, PW, 9i, & 8i. Back/through swing length relates to where on my body it feels like I swing my hands to (hip, waist, chest, shoulder, neck, ear, hair, hat, full). I don't have a number for every club at every swing length, just the ones that hit one of those 5 yard targets. I usually have several options to hit any of those targets so I can decide based upon other factors. To keep it reliable, I try to swing it through the same length I swing it back and I also try to keep every swing with every club the same tempo. I just vary the club and the length, ie hip to hip, ear to ear etc... I don't care if I'm actually swinging back to my shoulders (or whatever) just that it feels like I am to me.

Last edited:
My partial shots in the distances you’re mentioning are completely feel based.

it’s a tempo thing. I think of keeping my shoulders, arms, grip and Shaft moving away together and back to the ball at the same pace. This helps me stay shallow, and almost guarantees I engage the bounce of my club to create an appropriate ball flight that lands softly. I just select the club I want for the distance and height I need.

kisner actually puts it in a very easy to understand way when doing a piece with barstool and helping one the guys chip/pitch better. Video is on YouTube.

Oh, i forgot to answer your last part.

I am currently a 10 and yes, my pitching/chipping is a strong suit of mine.

I use my P,G, S and L depending on distance and pin position for need for spin. Partial swings don't bite as well for me. I do have a 3/4 swing with each that I have pretty well pegged for distance. I'll go with that unless the pin is tight and higher spin needed.

Had a conversation with my swing coach about different approaches to hitting partial shots. For example I'd been trying to have one 'Partial' stroke ~3/4 shot with each wedge to hit 50yd, 65yd, 80yd, 90yd. He was more of an advocate of having one club (eg. 52*) that you get a really good understanding of how much swing you need to hit each of those yardages. I'm playing about a 16 HC right now but trending downward and this is probably my weakest area really due to contact quality more than anything (fat chunky misses from 80 will 🤬💩😤). Whats your methodology for these touch shots, your HC, and if you think this is a strength of you game?

I'm trying to work on this too. About the same time it became apparent that I needed to correct some swing issues. These 3/4 swings started to produce more distance than my "full" swing. I had stumbled into a much more efficient swing with the 3/4 that what I was doing with a full swing. Now that i'm working with hopefully better overall mechanics, the 3/ swing will fall back in line to get the affective distance reduction that I want out of those partial chips.

I'm a feel player. I don't go by the clock system. I just pull my 54 and need to hit the shot a certain distance and make the appropriate swing. Sometimes I might need my 58.

I'm a 51 / 56 / 60... Attack with the 51 and will go 110% however everything else is 3/4 at most.

So here's a related question: Does your shot shape/approach to these shots change when its a wet day/soaked course?

I practice 4 swings (quarter, half, 3/4, and full) with my 4 wedges. So I have 16 distances on my distance card. I pick the one I want, and fire. It’s Dave Pelz stuff, works for me.
Happy it works for you.
A teaching professional mate of mine, went through the Peltz school over there and told me they don't teach that method of shot distance at the school. He said the method the Peltz taught his group was speed of body rotation determined distance not what is written in his book. I guess it is easier to write something that has a basis of logic than something that is related to pivot speed that is quite complex to explain.
I am not trying to change what you do, but telling it as it is.

So here's a related question: Does your shot shape/approach to these shots change when its a wet day/soaked course?
100% yes. Gotta modify things when sloppy. Otherwise it's going to be a rough day in the scoring zone.

For me, no. because I'm always aiming to a safe place not attacking the pin.

100% yes. Gotta modify things when sloppy. Otherwise it's going to be a rough day in the scoring zone.

How do you change it up?

It depends. I generally use 3 clubs from 100 yards in - 50, 54, 58, depending on the situation. Most of the time my SW does the heavy lifting. I often use club positions - club parallel, left arm parallel, etc. Everything I do from there is based on that (e.g. flop, runner, etc). I'm pretty good at feel when it comes to the wedges. I suck at everything else (except putting).

Had a conversation with my swing coach about different approaches to hitting partial shots. For example I'd been trying to have one 'Partial' stroke ~3/4 shot with each wedge to hit 50yd, 65yd, 80yd, 90yd. He was more of an advocate of having one club (eg. 52*) that you get a really good understanding of how much swing you need to hit each of those yardages. I'm playing about a 16 HC right now but trending downward and this is probably my weakest area really due to contact quality more than anything (fat chunky misses from 80 will 🤬💩😤). Whats your methodology for these touch shots, your HC, and if you think this is a strength of you game?

I agree with your swing coach, I personally like the one club approach. I am a 14 handicap and I love my 50 degree approach wedge. I feel like I can use it anywhere from 90 yards in. I would not say it is a strength of my game though, so maybe this approach is not ideal??:unsure:

My instructor taught me the Jason Day/Steve Striker dead hand wedge shots before. Once I got the motion down, it's a total feel shot. It's hard to describe, but it is essentially like throwing a football or shooting a baksetball - you feel the distance you need to the ball to go.

It revolutionized my parital wedge game. I used to dread shots from 20-80 yards. Now I feel just as comfortable as hitting a full wedge.

I'm working on this --

2 schools of thought.

Get to know one club around the green (Stan Utley)

Use a different wedge loft depending on the shot and conditions (everyone else?)

I now use a 48, 53, or 58 depending on green contour. I use the 53 a lot - first time I've used a 53, typically I use a 56. The 58 is great for near the green.

But technique is important as to which club - I've been using Phil's hinge/hold. It's great out of bunkers, too. BUT ...

Whatever you do, focus on tempo and rhythm - lack of it is why you thin and fat... if your technique is good.

How do you change it up?
Exactly 'how' can vary with specific shots and lies...(especially the lies) when it's sloppy. In general I'll usually choose the lower lofted option for a given carry distance. If the greens are soaked I'm not worried about the ball running away after it lands whether I go at it with my LW or a partial 8i or 9i. I'm only looking at carry so things get simpler. With the longer shafted lower lofted option I can use a shorter more precise swing and am also able to come through the ball shallower. Steep is death for me when playing on a soaked golf course. Case in point my matrix gives me 65 yards carry for a hat to hat LW and I also get 65 yards of carry with a neck to neck SW or a hip to hip 9 iron. I doubt I'd ever choose the LW on a sloppy wet day. 8 times out of 10 it would be the 9 iron, once and awhile the SW. Conversely, I would rarely use the 9i 65 carry if the greens were baked out and fast.

Last edited:
Exactly 'how' can vary with specific shots and lies...(especially the lies) when it's sloppy but in general I'll usually choose the lower lofted option for a given carry distance. If the greens are soaked I'm not worried about the ball running away after it lands whether I go at it with my LW or a partial 8i or 9i. I'm only looking at carry so things get simpler. With the longer shafted lower lofted option I can use a shorter more precise swing and am also able to come through the ball shallower. Steep is death for me when playing on a soaked golf course. Case in point my matrix gives me 65 yards carry for a hat to hat LW and I also get 65 yards of carry with a neck to neck SW or a hip to hip 9 iron. I doubt I'd ever choose the LW on a sloppy wet day. 9 times out of 10 it would be the 9 iron. Conversely, I would rarely use the 9i 65 carry if the greens were baked out htnd fast.

Wet is tough -- sometimes I open wide and lean the shaft back so it doesn't stick in the mud, come in shallow

Im personally not a fan of using 1 club because sometimes you need to fly the ball more and sometimes you can hit it a bit short and let it run. IMO, its much better to hit clubs of different lofts and play the shot basically the same.
Ive tried the Phil method of using a 52 or 56 for everything and play the ball back in your stance for a low shot and forward in your stance for a high shot and I get very inconsistent results with it. I find it much better to play the ball just a bit back in my stance and use anything ranging from a 7-iron to a 56 degree wedge, depending upon what the distance is and whether I need to fly it or let it run.

Back