How do you come back from a bad round?

I’m coming off 2 bad rounds. My last one was 9 holes of the worst golf I’ve played in a very long time. It was pretty hot and I think I was suffering from heat exhaustion. Still, between that and the round before, it has shaken my confidence. I’m playing tomorrow. And I’ll find out if I’ve totally lost my game or not.

Is it a bad round if I shoot 118 and double and triple almost every hole? Nope. That's normal for me. I'm not at work. I'm playing at golf. Life is good.(y)(y)

I book another round.

I will go over what were the biggest issues and try to work on it as best I can for the next round.

It depends on why the round went poorly. If it was because I was stiff, I shrug it off. If something significant has crept into my game, I will attempt to figure out the root of the problem and go to work to fix it.

I don't, simply because once I walk off the course and get home it is forgotten. The next time out I have a clean slate I tee it up and play another round with a fresh outlook.

Last edited:
I like to separate scoring from poor play. I was 2 under on #8 about a month ago on a par 3 into a wind and stripped the 7i. Ended up past the hole an went on to make a tripple from a terrrible spot. Might have been the best swing I made all day but the result was horrid. I shrug this off and move on. If I'm fundamentally digging dirt, hitting pulls or pull hooks then I take a week off and work on my swing. I want to see range balls stripped before I set foot on the course again.

my bias is that we play to much and practice too little, when we practice it is freqently without meaning unless we go with an idea

What’s a good round?

It helps to have a short memory. Bad rounds don't necessarily stay in my head, its the bad shot memories that I need to get rid of.

I'll let you know when I finally "come back"....

During the round if I sense the wheels coming off, I try to relax and “find my rhythm”, if that doesn’t happen, I let it go and look forward to the next round.

If a pro can win a major by 6 shots and then miss the cut the next week, why can't I have a bad nine or entire round? Shrug it off, see if there's something to fix and try again.

My game is more steaky then a $3 car wash window.
I have learned that some days you are the bug and some days you are the windshield. No need to get upset and act like a fool and get mad on the course. Also a bit of retail therapy after the round helps.

I’m somewhere in between ‘taking it shot by shot’ and ‘do the same thing, expect the same results’

Not sure if that makes sense, but it does to me!

I tend to go through Arccos to figure out where the bad score came from, although often it's not necessary. Most of my blow up rounds come from the tee box and not remembering to turn enough. Home to the better half and the cats, hot bath and then relax for the evening. As my old man says, I'm not good enough to get worked up over not playing well.

I’ve tried everything over the years: getting a lesson, range time, playing another 9/18 holes, video analysis of swing.

I think the best thing to do is put your clubs in your car, drive away and not give it another thought, it’s only a game 😊.

You may need to just remind yourself that your process was tested previously and holds water. It works and you just had a bad run. In golf, there are so many variables we can’t control. Focusing on the ones we can is key.

Confidence is like a house of cards, one bad shot and it can fall apart. It takes time to rebuild it.

Shrug it off and keep grinding!

After a round I will look back at the bad holes and work out roughly how many shots they probably cost me, and more often than not, that would put me at a decent score without those shots, so I just try to forget about it and chalk it up to one of those days

If it is something major in my swing that caused all the problems, I will often put the clubs away for a few days and then maybe have a range session just to reset my mind before the next round

I went through a short period (late April till late May/early June) where I played the worst golf I have played in the 28 years I have been playing and it was hard to shrug off, but I just grinded it out and got some help. Ultimately, I have a competitive nature and know I can play better, so I knew the only thing that would help was getting some help and grinding it out and now I'm headed back in the right direction.

At my level of play according to what a lot of what I read here they may all be bad. But like everything consider the source.

I chalk it up to….well….golf. Then I usually just go back out again! :LOL:

Sleep and forget about it lol. I had my best round ever Wednesday, shot terrible yesterday, and then went out tonight and shot -1 through 9 holes.

Well, I played Sunday and scored 73 (par 72, 70.9/135 rating, 6600 yds).
Yesterday (Monday), in a different course (par 72, 71.2/135, 6500 yds), I scored 91. Could not get off the tee or putt.

I just go back to the basics and try to reset. Set up, grip, take away, and follow through. Usually it is something fundamental that is just a bit off when my game goes south. Yesterday, I knew I was moving my head a fraction of second too early on the downswing, but for the life of me I could not correct it.

I just need to go back to the range and fix that before the next round.

It's golf. Crap happens. Even the professionals can post a bad round. Yesterday I shot a 79, today a 90.

Back