How do you control spin?

I can't remember if it was Trevino or Player, but I was watching something and one of them said when they needed to make sure some spin came off, they'd take a decent divot with a practice swing to get some dirt in the grooves, negating their ability to impart as much spin on the ball as a clean groove. Never tried it.

I can't remember if it was Trevino or Player, but I was watching something and one of them said when they needed to make sure some spin came off, they'd take a decent divot with a practice swing to get some dirt in the grooves, negating their ability to impart as much spin on the ball as a clean groove. Never tried it.
I think I heard that attributed to Byron Nelson as well during his tournament.
I always want clean grooves. One of the few things you can control in golf. (y)

Yes.

I buy a sleeve of Bridgestone TourB RX before the round. Presto, spin is solved.

Matt provided good "how to's". So, I'll just add that controlling what happens when the ball lands is a fairly complex assessment. The slope of the green at the landing point, the firmness of the surface, the grass and moisture content of the grass, and the angle of descent on your shot all determine how much spin you need to produce the shot you want to create. But there are limits to the range of spin you can produce on a given shot. So there is a bit of back and forth to your assessment.

A practical example.

A pin sitting toward the back of a bowl shaped part of a green that ascends to a higher level behind it is just begging for a spinner landed behind it that sucks back toward the hole. It's a cool shot and if you are a little off on direction it will still tend to zip back toward the hole. But if the ball is only 10 feet from the pin it is hard to produce enough spin--at least to spin it back. You may have to hit a hop and stop. If the ball is 20 yards away, this is a piece of cake. 60 yards and it takes a less lofted club to reduce the spin. Otherwise, it could land behind the hole, grab back and zip past the hole and off the front.

No idea how to control spin. I'm Just happy the ball goes in the direction I want it to.

Matt provided good "how to's". So, I'll just add that controlling what happens when the ball lands is a fairly complex assessment. The slope of the green at the landing point, the firmness of the surface, the grass and moisture content of the grass, and the angle of descent on your shot all determine how much spin you need to produce the shot you want to create. But there are limits to the range of spin you can produce on a given shot. So there is a bit of back and forth to your assessment.

A practical example.

A pin sitting toward the back of a bowl shaped part of a green that ascends to a higher level behind it is just begging for a spinner landed behind it that sucks back toward the hole. It's a cool shot and if you are a little off on direction it will still tend to zip back toward the hole. But if the ball is only 10 feet from the pin it is hard to produce enough spin--at least to spin it back. You may have to hit a hop and stop. If the ball is 20 yards away, this is a piece of cake. 60 yards and it takes a less lofted club to reduce the spin. Otherwise, it could land behind the hole, grab back and zip past the hole and off the front.
Great Adds...Yeah, I tried to keep it "simple" hahahaha 😂 @leftshot has pointed out a very important ingredient to hitting any shot, and in particular short game shots. You must assess the situation, diagnose it, figure out how this shot is different from your flat practice area and fluffed up balls. 😉

Working the ball both ways has been such a blessing. I make minor setup and grip changes and mostly use my hands to curve the ball.

I usually address my wedges with a strong grip and slightly hooded face. Playing a lower trajectory draw has really improved my wedge game.

I even carry 2 drivers now depending on if I want to draw or fade my tee ball.

I control spin by playing a non-premium ball, and allowing for roll-out:oops:

Back