How do you feel about "Honors"??

The funny thing with the Honors rule is that the only time not teeing off in the proper order matters as far as the rules go is in matchplay. There is no enforcement rule in stroke play, no pnalty, no need to retee. Matchplay you may be required to retee by your opponent. So regardless of gambling, unless you are playing matchplay, you can tee off in any order you want since it's no harm no foul as far as the RoG is concerned.

Though I tend to follow the rule as well.

it's all been about what's followed by who i'm playing with.
who goes when doesn't matter to me.
except when all the groups balls are on the green. i want the farthest putt to go first ,etc,etc.unless you just had a 30' to the cup and end up a foot short go ahead and sink it if you want to instead of marking it.

As Bortass said the Honor is only a rule in match play. If you play out of turn, your opponent can require you to play your shot over. (No Penalty) In stroke play, playing out of turn is at worst, a breach of etiquette and also no penalty.

We always play ready golf.

Not totally on subject but, another thing that can be done to speed up play is when a playing partner has trouble finding his or her ball, go ahead and everyone play their shot and then go help search. Many times people will cease play to help look, and then after the search they all must go back to there ball to resume play.

Ready golf, but with my friend I always play first because he gets nervous when he is first lol.

Honors is fine for formal or skins games though

Same as most, pretty relaxed if it's a bounce game, but during matchplay or skins, you've got to use the honor rule. (see how I adjusted my spelling there so you can all understand me? :bashful:)

The guys I usually play with honor it but we also play ready golf, so if a guy is lagging getting to the tee, we go ahead and tee off.

If we are gambling, we are real strict about it.

We never jump birdies or eagles or bad juju will be rained down upon you from the golf gods for all eternity.

We never jump birdies or eagles or bad juju will be rained down upon you from the golf gods for all eternity.

I agree, you can't steal the box from a man who just made birdie or eagle. Although, alot of times when I play with the older guys from work, I play the back tees and they are playing from the senior tees. Then I pretty much hit first all the time. I think the whole honors thing and playing different tee boxes came up in a golf magazine not too long ago with regards to men playing with women. I think the question was should a woman get honors to hit first if they had the best score even though it might not make sense to go to the forward tee and then have to go backwards.

Back