How do you hide your major golf purchases from spouse/significant other?

TLuke

Reaction score
Handicap
None
Not talking balls, tees, green fees, hats, etc. My wife now knows what a long narrow box on the front porch means. Do you guys/gals get permission beforehand; pull the trigger anyway and just suffer the wrath/shaming; or compensate the like dollar amount for their own spending pleasure?

I don't hide anything... at all... my wife knows all the stuff I buy. She rolls her eyes at the expense of my "hobby", but nothing is hidden at all. I keep a pretty strict annual budget that I have for golf equipment and accessories. Every year, when we get compensation numbers, that budget fluxuates. I suspect it will be 0 next year, so going to enjoy this year and wait to make any more big purchases until the next stuff comes out (if it comes out at the EOY). If not, may save the remainder of my budget to cover next year!

I don't hide anything, and she doesn't hide her purchases from me. As long as the bills are paid and obligations are met, what each of us do with our discretionary income is up to us.

Depends on the $$ amount. Under $X, just buy, over $X there is a head's up before hand. I know what I can get away with before she turns from Bruce Banner to Hulk

I dont hide it, but I do make sure she gets her golf purchase first. I've been looking for a new driver for a while, or project parts to build one.

2 months ago she said "oooo thats a pretty Bettinardi Queen B..."

Say no more it's all yours. [Banked purchase for me later]

she shakes her head but knows i dont spend a lot outside of golf. transparency and honesty are key.

I find what my wife doesn’t know doesn’t hurt her LOL

I hide them behind my charm and good looks 😎
Spoiler
It’s not an effective strategy 😆

No hiding needed. She knows I make sensible, well thought out purchases and never questions them.

I don’t hide it; I tell her what I’m excited about. Besides, we both have an “allowance” and have the autonomy to do with it as we please.

I don’t hide my purchase. She’s has no opinion as I am not frivolous so knows if I’ve spent it it has been well considered.

I tell my wife i'm a professional golfer on the pga tour and companies send me product in hopes i play it on tv. :ROFLMAO: It rarely works but i try

We have an understanding, I don't ask about the Gardening purchases and she doesn't ask about the Golf purchases.
It's each one's hobby and we know it plus we are both smart enough to pull back in times like we are living in....

I don't hide any purchases from her, quite the opposite "Hey, look at these new wedges/irons/bag/putter/ect... that just came in"
She's come to expect new things show when I get calls from certain folks.

I throw it into the middle of a conversation "ok honey, I finished mowing the lawn, taking the dog for a walk, bought a new 6 iron, and later I'll gas and wash both cars". Sometimes I get away with, most times I don't. but I when I do get away with it, I can, in good conscious, say, 'no honey I told you about that 6 iron"

We don't hide things from each other. We've both been through too many past relationships like that. Besides, she's my golf buddy these days, so there's really no chance at hiding anything from her anyway.

I'm the one who was playing 20+ year old clubs and my wife is the one who encouraged me to get fitted and get new clubs since she knows I love the game so much.

We have a household account we both put money into. Pays for the mortgage, utilities, Car payments and anything associated with our lives together. Food Gas Everything! I have a personal account as does she. I still take her out on a date out of my money, her presents come from my account so she has no idea what i spend on her for birthdays or Christmas. The same for her. If i want something, i save for it....

we don't hide anything from each other either. if we want something, we buy it. if it's over a certain amount, we talk about it first. works for us. ymmv.

I can't. My wife pays the bills and now with quarantine she is home when the long boxes come in. I just grin and take the heat from her.

We have an agreement that anything over $500 we discuss first. We are fortunate that we are in pretty good shape financially so as long as we don't spend $500 per day it works out okay. I generally won't buy full sets of irons without talking to her but short of that it is usually ok.

Back