How Do You Hit the Ball Straight?

RecGolfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have one or two go-to techniques that you rely on to hit the ball straight? If so,what are they?

I approach a tee ball thinking hit my normal draw shot, or hit a cutter. Almost never thinking dead straight.

My half hearted cutters tend to go pretty straight. It all starts with a slightly open or slightly closed stance for me.

I wish I could say I have a fool proof method, but my handicap would say otherwise. However, in a really tight situation I can say I try to swing with more emphasis on an inside motion.

Right now, I try to hit a gentle fade. Result: dead straight. :LOL:

My typical ball flight is straight. I might pull it, or push it left or right of my target, but unless the wind is blowing there is little curve to it. I can’t say that there is anything I specifically do, it’s just the swing I’ve been using for 50 years.

Easy. I line up for the fade or draw I have been hitting all day then the ball goes straight left or right. :ROFLMAO:

I think with possible exception of wedges very few players hit it dead straight. It’s possible of course but is not something to strive for if you are being realistic. A baby fade or baby draw can be much more consistent. And besides, actually getting to the target is far more important than how you get there. 😎

Straight is my natural ball flight, though I can hit a cut or a draw on command most days. Fundamentally, at impact you want the path of the club to be straight down the target line with the face square to the target and the clubhead striking the ball on the sweet spot.

How do you do that?

An actual swing plane on the downswing really helps. Most of us manipulate the club at the top of the backswing through the downswing, and it is really difficult to get the geometry above if your swing plane isn't a plane--at least on the way down. If you flip the club into impact, you've got no chance to have a consistent straight ball-flight unless you are Superman. Also obvious is that your sequencing has to be proper and consistent starting with the bump and then the turn of your lower body and hips. Otherwise, the path at impact is going to vary.

To hit a draw, I just strengthen my grip about 15 degrees and drop my trail foot at set up. If I want more draw, I'll delay the hip turn a bit on the way down to produce even more of an inside-out path at impact. For a fade, I do the opposite.

Note: A higher-lofted club is going to curve less than a lower-lofted club. This is because the higher-lofted club properly struck is going to have more backspin relative to sidespin than a lower-lofted club.

Last edited:
I think for me hitting the ball straight has its roots dating back to my baseball playing days. At bat I was always able to time my contact with the baseball to put the ball into the hole in the field.

Harvey Penick says the hardest shot in golf is to hit it straight. My "miss" is a draw but I honestly hit it straight more often than not. For me, if the bottom of my club is pointed at the ball at the top of my swing it will probably go straight. If the bottom is more horizontal it will draw, vertical it will fade.

I have never tried to “work” the ball like some do. You can change set up position with feet and shoulders, but for me I like to think my shot is very straight. For me it really is just that, a straight swing thought coming inside the ball and follow through straight. Also, a compact swing for me seems to produce a very straight ball. I’m sure others have other thoughts.

I use my putter. Always goes straight.
Lucky you, on bad days I can slice one...

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Never hit a strait shot in my life. If I want my most dependable shot most days that is lining up at the left and hitting a fade. Some days however the low Riley draw is in play and I do the opposite. Gotta be careful not to overcook that shot though.

Few shots are actually truly straight, it’s also the hardest shot to hit in the game imo.

Few shots are actually truly straight, it’s also the hardest shot to hit in the game imo.
Absolutely. If you're aiming straight then 99 times out of 100 your ball will end up moving away from the target

Don't know.... When I'm playing well, tend to hit a little fade. When I'm driving the ball well... it's a baby draw.... can't seem to have both ball flights in the bag at the same time lately....

Usually only when I set up to try to hit a big fade, it goes dead straight left. :LOL:

Back