How do you judge success on the course?

The goal of the game is to get the ball into the hole in as few strokes as possible. I am not a guy that hits a ton of greens. At my peak of +4 hdcp I was just above 60% GIR. Putting made me a good golfer. When I missed, I knew I was going to make my putts to save a round. I'm below 50% GIR and have no time to beat balls to get my iron game crisper. So putting is how I judge success.

Thanks, that helps to clarify your position. It ultimately comes down to understanding your game. For my putts on missed greens is directly related to poor pitch/chip shots and not poor putting.

Thanks, that helps to clarify your position. It ultimately comes down to understanding your game. For my putts on missed greens is directly related to poor pitch/chip shots and not poor putting.

I saved several holes yesterday outside of 5' and two outside 10'. If I'm putting well I play well. If I'm hitting greens, I go low.

For me it's overall score and my ball striking. I can tolerate a bad ball striking day if I can keep a decent score going. If I'm scoring poorly but striking the ball well then I can live with that. If both are going south then I start wishing I stayed home and played video games.

I measure my success by my short game. I don't care about number of putts or fairways hit, I prefer to judge it based on wedge and putt touch: if I can lag my putts well and get my wedge play under control how I want, then the rest won't matter much to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me I consider a round a success if I can keep the DBL Bogeys off the card. I figure if I have done that, then I have played well enough to at least make it look respectable.

For me, I know I will get some pars here and there and maybe a birdie or two a round. I just don't want no high numbers. Really been trying to work on the course management at the home course so the highest I get is a bogey. It's been working pretty well the last 20 or so rounds. Have kept the big numbers very low. However, I do have a hard time with it at a new course. Maybe I am not the only one that tends to struggle with new surroundings.

If I can keep my worst holes to just a bogey, I'm happy. That's not to say that I'd at all be happy with 18 bogies but if I'm keeping double and certainly triple out of the mix, I generally feel like my game is apt for scoring.

Although my goal is to always shoot in the 70s, scraping say an 82 or 83 when I felt like I struggled all day will still give me a degree of satisfaction.

To me, success is feeling like I've played better than my last round. In an ideal world, every round I'll play a little better. May not score better, but as long as I feel I've hit the ball a bit better I'll be happy.

If I don't, the competitor in me rears its head with a vengeance. As long as I know what went wrong and I can work on it, that's also a success. Consistent, regular improvement is all I'm after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hitting good quality shots. I love the feeling of finishing a round and know I didn't duff or slice or hook a ball.

Consistency is the key for me. If I can stay even-keel, avoid those blow up holes, that is how I judge success. Avoid penalty strokes, keep the ball in play, that makes me all sorts of happy.

If I can do that, I can put up good scores.

Freddie, since we played yesterday and you saw me do some good and some bad things I have to say I enjoy the game and the Company most of all at point in my life.
Sure I want to play well and I was really loving that I was within 20 yards of you guys driving for a while until it went left on me and in my mind most likely from trying to keep up with you guys Driving wise and not just putting it in play. The harder I try to hit the more OTT I swing. But a few nice iron shots make the game more fun and if I ever get back to putting decent that helps the day also.

It is a game after all and we all have our own levels of talent and have to live with the outcome good or bad. That is the reason I really enjoy a round with you folks, everyone has fun and keeps trying no matter what happens.

Over the years I have played with all types of handicaps from tour pros to beginners and everything in between. And I have observed similarities over th years such a love for the game, competing spirits and a drive to be the best they can be.

It's always interesting to me how each golfer judges success. Some want to hit every fairway, others need to card 6 pars others want 3 or more birdies and other look at low scores. All are driven to succeed in their particular areas. What drives you? How do you measure your success on the course?

For me it's having 29 or less putts. I know if I can get this done, I'll have a good day.

No 3 putts & solid ball strikes for the most part. After all it is amateur golf.

The metric I always have in mind at the beginning of the round is "will today be my PB?" That is my ultimate measurement. Once that possibility fades mid-round I measure success at the end of the round by a) did I maintain a "have fun" mental frame of mind and b) thinking back on the best few shots I pulled off and good decisions I made.

The metric I always have in mind at the beginning of the round is "will today be my PB?" That is my ultimate measurement. Once that possibility fades mid-round I measure success at the end of the round by a) did I maintain a "have fun" mental frame of mind and b) thinking back on the best few shots I pulled off and good decisions I made.

What have you done different between rounds to achieve your PB? Do you practice more, or focus your practice?

Strike is a big deal for me, followed by score. If I'm striking the ball well, I take positives from that. Sure, maybe I overdrew the shot or picked the wrong club, but good strike is crucial to success. I also want to always break 90 and ideally be at 85 or under. Lately both have failed me due to playing injured.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

What have you done different between rounds to achieve your PB? Do you practice more, or focus your practice?

Great question. I'm guessing this is an all-too-simple answer but I've seen the best results when I can devote multiple practice sessions to just focus on a consistent putting stroke (repeating it so it becomes second hand) and grooving a high lofted iron swing with consistent tempo (again, trying to commit it to muscle memory). Then, during the round, thinking about the shot decision at hand and learning from past mistakes.

#1 is score. Always the bottom line. #2 is greens in regulation/proximity to the hole. If I hit 12 or more I'm excited. Putting doesn't always show up with my iron play though

Right now, not losing a ball during a round, and eliminating penalty shots is good enough for me. Though I'm wanting get consistency now. I'm just trying to break 90 this year. That my only goal

Last edited:
Right now, not losing a ball during a round, and eliminating penalty shots is good enough for me. Though I'm wanting get consistency now. Im.judt trying to break 90 this year. That my only goal

What are you doing to curtail the loss of golf balls? Are you taking strides to eliminate penalty strokes? Lessons? Practice?

What are you doing to curtail the loss of golf balls? Are you taking strides to eliminate penalty strokes? Lessons? Practice?
Just practice. If I play a lot, I see a big improvement in accuracy and consistency. If I don't golf for awhile, I go downhill, lol. There's nowhere around here to get lessons

Beating my handicap. Simple. Though I consider putting somewhat voodoo, so If would have beat my cap if I'd've had 30 putts I'll still be somewhat happy.

oh, and if no Haney penalties (3-putts/2chips/chip outs/penalty strokes) I'll be happy bc rarely happens, even during good rounds.

Beating my handicap. Simple. Though I consider putting somewhat voodoo, so If would have beat my cap if I'd've had 30 putts I'll still be somewhat happy.

oh, and if no Haney penalties (3-putts/2chips/chip outs/penalty strokes) I'll be happy bc rarely happens, even during good rounds.

The hdcp is there to show your potential score. I've always stood on the notion that you can expect to be 5 shots one way or the other. Do you have parameters that are acceptable high or low of you hdcp?

for me success on the course is not hitting any 8's or 7's and breaking 100, my best game is a 91

My success is shooting less than 90, not having a nasty topped or chunked shot and just enjoying the company.

Quality shots that do what I want them to.
Tee game keeping me in the fairway
Less than 2 putts per gir.
Score

Back