How do you play cold weather golf?

will

Morgan Cup 2023 - Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The 50 degree thread got me thinking about what I do to play golf when the temps are in the 40s and what other people might do that I could learn from. Right now, if the temps are in the 40s and it's not windy, I'll still try to get out for a round of golf. So this is what I do/wear/etc. on those cold mornings and I would love to hear what others do to keep warm, stay loose, and just be more comfortable in less than ideal temps.

What do I do when it's cold? 🥶
- I have a Columbia base layer (pants and shirt) that does a decent job of helping keep me warm. It's pretty lightweight though, so there may be something better out there.
- Regular golf pants and polo (mostly short sleeve) over the base layer. Plain ole socks and Footjoy shoes. Same baseball cap that I always wear.
- I have a couple of pullovers that are good for letting me swing freely and they do okay as far as warmth. A slight breeze will cut right through them though.
- I always go hit a few balls at the range to loosen up the swing a bit.
- During the round, I make sure to take an extra practice swing or two to stay loose.

Other than that, I don't really change much. Tell me what you do to stay warm, loose, and comfortable out in the cold? Hand warmers? Found some golf apparel that's just better in cold weather? A little propane heater for the cart? Just curious as to what others do and hoping to learn from others so I don't miss out on too much golf this winter.

definitely layer up but over the past 2 years ive acquired some awesome winter gear.

Spikes wise I wear Adidas ClimaProof BOA shoes and they're amazing! These have been probably the best investment ive made apparel wise

Clothing ive found Galvin Green to be the absolute best for warm layers while being relatively light. I still wear under armour cold gear compression tops and bottoms but Galvin Green makes winter golf much more tolerable

Last thing I just recently found is the G-Tech Heated Pouch Sport 2.0. It's a rechargeable battery powered hand warmer with 3 different settings. I've used it twice now for chicago fall/winter golf and my hands definitely thank me. Cold is still cold but this heater is better than the regular disposable hand packets I always used

But ultimately the best advice ive personally found for 40* days or less.......DONT PLAY

I don’t 🤣 or at least I try to avoid it at al costs. It’s just not fun

I light layer my clothing. If the wind picks up I will throw on the insulated rain gear and that is a life savor. Try to walk as much as i can rather than a cart to keep loose. Hot hands is your friend for sure.

I played on Saturday it was 42* and cloudy. I wore regular pants for bottoms. Up top I had a long sleeve shirt, a lite quarterzip and a Sun Mountain Rainflex top that has some warmth to it. I wore a knit hat to keep head and ears warm. I frequently put hand warmers in my front pockets and put my hands in while I walk but didn't need it on Saturday. Sunday was a bit warmer and I dropped the light quarterzip for a turtleneck over the long sleeve shirt.

When it drops below 40 I usually go with a t-shirt, warmer base layer, think wool sweater and the same Rainflex top. I haven't had to go long underwear even when in the upper 30s for my legs.

I walk and carry my bag which helps stay warm.

Layer up definitely. I use UA Cold Gear bottoms & mock turtle neck. Golf shirt over that then maybe the FJ jacket & pants, two pair of socks (don't like cold feet) & maybe a stocking hat. (y) Yesterday was 45* but with a constant 10 - 15 mph wind, so at times it was called for a jacket, but I was fine without it.

I look like I'm dressed the exact same mostly, I just have multiple performance-type layers underneath it. I use hand warmers, take practice swings at each ball, get up and move around if there's a wait, and that's about it. Same limited pre-warm as usual. No point in burning through a bucket. I'll be stiffening by the time we get to the tee box regardless.

So, I normally layer up, but this year I purchased an electric vest, that has heating coils all up the back and around the neck, along with in the front pockets and chest. I am hoping this allows me to not have to layer so much this year, which will allow me to swing all the way through and not be restricted. That being said, I'm hoping most it keeps my lower back warm because last year, about hole 12 my back would say, sorry, not sorry, but I'm done and I couldn't swing like normal. I also purchased some FJ winter gloves too. I think I'm most excited about the vest though because it should allow me to just wear a polo and hoodie/pullover/quarterzip and be just fine. Last year it was thick undershirt, polo, and then a pullover. Normally just wear pants. don't layer my legs as they usually don't get cold.

Everyone above pretty much nailed it with the layers. I'll do a thin base layer (I have some C9 gear and it's extremely warm & comfortable) then pants, t-shirt, 1/4 zip or jacket, and a wool hat. My rain gear is in the bag if I need to add another layer. I've got cases of Hot Hands from marching band season so I always have some in the bag if needed as well.

definitely layer up but over the past 2 years ive acquired some awesome winter gear.

Spikes wise I wear Adidas ClimaProof BOA shoes and they're amazing! These have been probably the best investment ive made apparel wise

Clothing ive found Galvin Green to be the absolute best for warm layers while being relatively light. I still wear under armour cold gear compression tops and bottoms but Galvin Green makes winter golf much more tolerable

Last thing I just recently found is the G-Tech Heated Pouch Sport 2.0. It's a rechargeable battery powered hand warmer with 3 different settings. I've used it twice now for chicago fall/winter golf and my hands definitely thank me. Cold is still cold but this heater is better than the regular disposable hand packets I always used

But ultimately the best advice ive personally found for 40* days or less.......DONT PLAY

lol Yeah, I would probably stay home if the temps were in the 30s. When it's in the 40s, I'm cold but manage. Definitely will check out Galvin Green and that hand warmer. Not sure why I haven't gotten something like that yet. Of course, it's easier for me to blame my bad shots on numb hands without the warmer. :LOL:

I light layer my clothing. If the wind picks up I will throw on the insulated rain gear and that is a life savor. Try to walk as much as i can rather than a cart to keep loose. Hot hands is your friend for sure.

Do you use just a rain jacket? Or pants as well? Any recommendations?

I played on Saturday it was 42* and cloudy. I wore regular pants for bottoms. Up top I had a long sleeve shirt, a lite quarterzip and a Sun Mountain Rainflex top that has some warmth to it. I wore a knit hat to keep head and ears warm. I frequently put hand warmers in my front pockets and put my hands in while I walk but didn't need it on Saturday. Sunday was a bit warmer and I dropped the light quarterzip for a turtleneck over the long sleeve shirt.

When it drops below 40 I usually go with a t-shirt, warmer base layer, think wool sweater and the same Rainflex top. I haven't had to go long underwear even when in the upper 30s for my legs.

I walk and carry my bag which helps stay warm.

I think I need to invest in some rain gear. Sounds like it would help with the wind a bit. I can dress warm, but just a slight breeze and it cuts right through and then I'm freezing! I'll check out the Rainflex gear!

lol Yeah, I would probably stay home if the temps were in the 30s. When it's in the 40s, I'm cold but manage. Definitely will check out Galvin Green and that hand warmer. Not sure why I haven't gotten something like that yet. Of course, it's easier for me to blame my bad shots on numb hands without the warmer. :LOL:

I think I need to invest in some rain gear. Sounds like it would help with the wind a bit. I can dress warm, but just a slight breeze and it cuts right through and then I'm freezing! I'll check out the Rainflex gear!

I like the Rainflex stuff a lot. It has a bit of weight to it but is flexible and quiet. Budget Golf frequently has good deals on Rainflex stuff. You don’t see Sun Mountain stuff everywhere but I picked up a couple of pieces at Muirfield Village a few years ago and they are some of my favorite pieces of rain and cold weather clothing.

Last edited:
Yes I have a lightweight rain jacket from Callaway that is really good at keeping the wind at bay. I wear a light UA cold gear undershirt with it. Rain pants are OGIO and insulated. I just wear light golf slacks or shorts under them depending on the temps and wind.
Anytime you can keep the wind off you it is comfortable but if they are going to be over 15mph then chances are I will skip golf.

I look like I'm dressed the exact same mostly, I just have multiple performance-type layers underneath it. I use hand warmers, take practice swings at each ball, get up and move around if there's a wait, and that's about it. Same limited pre-warm as usual. No point in burning through a bucket. I'll be stiffening by the time we get to the tee box regardless.

I've been looking at getting a better base layer. I think that would help a lot. Definitely got to get some type of hand warmer!

So, I normally layer up, but this year I purchased an electric vest, that has heating coils all up the back and around the neck, along with in the front pockets and chest. I am hoping this allows me to not have to layer so much this year, which will allow me to swing all the way through and not be restricted. That being said, I'm hoping most it keeps my lower back warm because last year, about hole 12 my back would say, sorry, not sorry, but I'm done and I couldn't swing like normal. I also purchased some FJ winter gloves too. I think I'm most excited about the vest though because it should allow me to just wear a polo and hoodie/pullover/quarterzip and be just fine. Last year it was thick undershirt, polo, and then a pullover. Normally just wear pants. don't layer my legs as they usually don't get cold.

I'm interested to hear how the electric vest performs for you. I see those mentioned a lot for folks that ride ATVs and Side-by-Sides during the winter. I've not actually seen one in person, so I wasn't sure how bulky they would be. They sound pretty sweet though!

Over the years, my cold weather attire and conditions has evolved. Disclaimer- the weather I consider "cold" has evolved as well. As a younger kid, I would play in the dead of winter with temps hovering near freezing but generally near 40 most times. Clouds, wind, snow, etc... Pair of long johns, jeans, golf shirt and a sweatshirt was usually good enough. These days, "winter golf" means as long as the sun is out and it isn't TOO windy, I'll play in temps in the 40's. I would keep the LJ's and jeans, but I try and avoid any over shirt. IF the sun is out, I'll stick with only the golf shirt. I MIGHT bring along a fitted type thermal shirt if it may get cloudy- but I just don't like long sleeves or bulky over garments. I need all the flexibility I can get. (Last weeks outing in the gale warning, drizzle, etc.. not withstanding. That was a necessity to get out of a house with screaming kids and toddlers).
I got my wife one of those USB Heated Vests last year, but she rarely uses it, so I might give that a try one of these days.
But practicing in winter is pretty easy these days- the outdoor range I go to has enclosed heated stalls so I'll get out there on almost any day. Just need to remember to bring the clubs in the night before and not leave them in the car. Otherwise it's like holding on to giant icicles. The balls are usually warmed up since the machine is inside. Only if I know the wind is howling from the N/NW will I not make the trip. Even in a heated stall, a stiff cold wind straight into your face isn't very comfortable.

• Bottom layer - I have some run-of-the-mill thermals I got from Amazon; they work great
  • Next layer - jeans or golf pants, I find that jeans do a better job in the wind, but they're not super comfy to golf in
  • Shirt - i'll wear a golf shirt, maybe short sleeve, maybe long sleeve, I have the long sleeve thermal on anyway under it
  • Sweater - I have a loose-fitting quarter zip fleece I like a lot. The fleece cuts the wind, and it's not restrictive at all for my swing
  • Stocking cap/beanie - SUPER IMPORTANT; love it. Bonus - keeps the wind from whistling in my hearing aids
  • Foot Joy winter gloves - also SUPER IMPORTANT... gotta keep my hands warm
  • Warm wool socks, not too tight, as restricting/constraining blood flow to the feet exacerbates the cold
  • Same with the shoes - I don't lace them up super tight as I want blood flowing
  • Warm drinks - I take an insulated cup out with coffee, hot choco, cider, or ever just hot water
  • No alcohol
The two most important things for me, though:

1. WARM UP AND STRETCH! I'm more prone to injury when my muscles are cold. I make sure that I hit a small bucket and do some light stretching before I start the round.
  2. Walk! No carts. Way easier to stay warm when I'm walking. The whole cart cover/heater thing is great for some folks, I'm sure, but I'm not interested. I'm going to acclimate to the cold way better if I'm walking, not getting in/out of a warm cart 80-90 times a round.
Lastly - here's the super bonus info, haha...

• I don't want to put on cold shoes, gloves, beanie, etc. I keep all that either in the garage or in my golf bag in the trunk of the car, so, they get cold. Before I leave the house, I put my beanie, gloves and golf shoes in the car with me - usually on the floor on the passenger side - which puts them right under the heater vent so they are toasty when I get to the course
  • Yes, the ball doesn't fly as far in the cold, but - frozen fairways and greens are super firm, so think twice before you take that extra club or two. Yeah, it may not carry as far, but if it's dry and cold, it's gonna run out.
  • Keep moving! If there's a delay on the tee box or in the fairway, walk around, play a chipping game, don't be stationary... it'll help you stay warm, without a cart cover and heater =)

Layers and these. One in each pocket. Doesn’t hurt to carry my golf ball in my pocket between holes either and let it warm up in my pocket. Not illegal as far as I know. 🤣

E63F319C-8543-40C0-9BD5-B70290013EA2.jpeg

Cold weather tips : keep your hands, head and feet warm and don't sit and ride in a cart.

To me, the wind is the deciding factor whether I'll tee it up when the temperature is in the low 40s. if I play I make sure that I keep my hands, head and feet as warm as possible. I also walk with my push cart. I wear foot joy winter gloves , a knit hat and I have a pair of wool over the calf athletic socks For clothing I simply dress in layers - thermal undershirt, thermal long sleeve shirt, vest and if needed a wind jacket.

I've been looking at getting a better base layer. I think that would help a lot. Definitely got to get some type of hand warmer!

I'm interested to hear how the electric vest performs for you. I see those mentioned a lot for folks that ride ATVs and Side-by-Sides during the winter. I've not actually seen one in person, so I wasn't sure how bulky they would be. They sound pretty sweet though!
The one I ordered is relatively thin. I ordered one and there was issues once I got to the course, but I was doing warm up shots with it on and no issues with movement. I sent it back and already have a replacement in hand. It works as I tested to make sure the power came on. That being said, I haven't had cold enough weather yet to need it since the time I wanted to use it haha. I will be golfing throughout the winter though, so I'm sure I will get plenty of chances. I wanted it for The Rivalry as well!

For me it's simple...I don't. In Houston we very rarely get days that are sunny and cold. Here if it's cold, it's usually also raining. Plus by the next weekend if will be 75 so no biggie.

Layers, layers, layers.

Thinsulate long under wear
t-shirt
Golf shirt
Thin nylon wind vest
Thin fleece top
Jeans (if it's below 40)
Winter golf gloves
Thermal beanie to help keep the ears warm

In WI if you don't golf when its cold, you don't golf much :LOL: I have a couple of pair of LL Bean base layers, great for skiing even better for golf. Hand warmers for the pockets. A ski hat from Tipsy Elves is pretty fun and warm. I found these socks last year called Heat Holders that work fantastic. Regular old golf pants and a long sleeve golf shirt and a light windbreaker will do it for me.

• Bottom layer - I have some run-of-the-mill thermals I got from Amazon; they work great
  • Next layer - jeans or golf pants, I find that jeans do a better job in the wind, but they're not super comfy to golf in
  • Shirt - i'll wear a golf shirt, maybe short sleeve, maybe long sleeve, I have the long sleeve thermal on anyway under it
  • Sweater - I have a loose-fitting quarter zip fleece I like a lot. The fleece cuts the wind, and it's not restrictive at all for my swing
  • Stocking cap/beanie - SUPER IMPORTANT; love it. Bonus - keeps the wind from whistling in my hearing aids
  • Foot Joy winter gloves - also SUPER IMPORTANT... gotta keep my hands warm
  • Warm wool socks, not too tight, as restricting/constraining blood flow to the feet exacerbates the cold
  • Same with the shoes - I don't lace them up super tight as I want blood flowing
  • Warm drinks - I take an insulated cup out with coffee, hot choco, cider, or ever just hot water
  • No alcohol
The two most important things for me, though:

1. WARM UP AND STRETCH! I'm more prone to injury when my muscles are cold. I make sure that I hit a small bucket and do some light stretching before I start the round.
  2. Walk! No carts. Way easier to stay warm when I'm walking. The whole cart cover/heater thing is great for some folks, I'm sure, but I'm not interested. I'm going to acclimate to the cold way better if I'm walking, not getting in/out of a warm cart 80-90 times a round.
Lastly - here's the super bonus info, haha...

• I don't want to put on cold shoes, gloves, beanie, etc. I keep all that either in the garage or in my golf bag in the trunk of the car, so, they get cold. Before I leave the house, I put my beanie, gloves and golf shoes in the car with me - usually on the floor on the passenger side - which puts them right under the heater vent so they are toasty when I get to the course
  • Yes, the ball doesn't fly as far in the cold, but - frozen fairways and greens are super firm, so think twice before you take that extra club or two. Yeah, it may not carry as far, but if it's dry and cold, it's gonna run out.
  • Keep moving! If there's a delay on the tee box or in the fairway, walk around, play a chipping game, don't be stationary... it'll help you stay warm, without a cart cover and heater =)

Good info! I really wish I could walk 18 holes. I love walking a golf course, but I have a bad ankle, so 9 holes is all I've been able to do recently. Really it should only be 4-5 holes right now. Trying to walk more around our neighborhood to build up more strength in that joint and hopefully get to where I can walk 9 holes or more with no issue.

Oh, and I meant to ask if anyone took coffee with them to the course. I love me some coffee, but never really thought to take any with me while playing golf.

Like this...

1638810047944.png

@will since you brought up this thread I went and did more research on heated clothing since I love the G-Tech Heated Pouch so much.

Just bought this!! Reviews seem good on the rest of the lineup and I like that this has removable sleeves

Back