How Do You Play the 30 Yard Shot

That's a distance I've struggled with. Farther back and I'm assertive with my 58° played back in stance, closer and I'm keeping it low and running it.

In the 25-35 yard range, uncertainty and the residual lack of commitment to the shot has bitten me some. Regardless if I select 8-iron or LW, I've routinely left shots short. Usually on, just woefully short of target.

Had some success late when I forced myself to commit with the 58° and go at it confidently.

Poorly?

I like to use my 52* since it yields the best results. Just like a quarter swing with the hands low. Whenever I try my 60* I end up short.

Depending on how I’m playing...
If playing well, I’d use my 60 degree wedge.
If playing poorly, I’d play a bump and run with my PW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

54° just back of center, club back to just less than parallel and follow thru.

I use my 60 open the face and take it in high without much roll.

All these 54s and 56s! Not for me. I’ll use my 55.
: )

I use 54 for a flop, PW for a pitch, 9 for a bump & run, just depends.

8 or 9 iron middle stance putting stroke basically bump and run but no wrist

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

56, off back foot, 8 or 9 o’clock backswing.

Thin it over the green

But really, a 54 medium traj with a little roll out

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

54 slightly opened aiming directly at the pin hoping to check up a bit. Tap in range.

If I want it to stop fast, the 58. But I would rather take a short, sharp swing with the 54°

I'm hitting my 56 with my 25 yard swing. If I'm playing for fun and trying new things, I'll give my 52 a shot and play it like a long chip just to see how I do.

Usually a 58 degree wedge played middle of stance due to the smaller greens at my home course. If pin is on the back, will usually hit a 54 degree wedge with the same setup and allow for a little more roll out.

Depends on the day and how deep that pin is. Deep pin is going to be a lower lofted wedge and a pitch. Front pin is going to be a higher lofted wedge.

If it’s all clean grass it might be a bump and run.

54* back in stance with a waist high swing. Keep hands moving in front of club and make solid sharp contact.
Or decelerate and flub it or get wristy and blade it.

This... all day

Less room for error and easy to get a feel for repeating

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Depending on pin location, low flighted 54 or slightly open the 60 and pitch up there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love this situation because I've developed a number of fun shots to get it close! 30 yards is long enough to pull the string with either a knockdown or high pitch. The knockdown is generally the preferred shot because I can fly it to or a little beyond the pin depending on the firmness and slope of the green. Occasionally, I'll hit a bump and run, but only if there is a nice flat tight lie from where you land it to the hole. If the ground is uneven and you miss your landing spot that first bounce can take you offline. In that case, the pop and stop knockdown is much more predictable.

I grab my 56*, choke down and give a smooth 1/3 swing. Not super high not super low. Just let the loft do the work. Aim about 5 yards short and let it roll out.

58, grip down and ball a bit back in my stance. Maybe a quarter seing

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Stand tall, feet close together with 56*. Comes out low. Bounce, bounce, stop.

I'll usually grab my pitching wedge and try to hit the green and run to the whole. Doesn't always happen but thats the plan.

Back