How Long Have You Been Playing Without Making a Hole In One

I'm 36 now and I've been playing since I was around 11. I thought for sure I would have had one by now. My brother who is 30 already has three of them.

Started in '99. Took a 5 year hiatus. We'll say 15+.

20 years

I started playing when I was 15 or so, got my first hole in one last Saturday, so 31 years later

From 1977 to present day; not counting 2 pitch & putt hole outs on 45-50 yd holes.

:golf: :wavey:

About 25 years

My last one was almost 5 years ago. Had some close ones this year.

Got mine this year. 1% cleanest 7-iron I will ever hit and 99% luckiest roll I'll ever get. Been "playing" off and on since I was 11, but just started taking it serious last year after not touching clubs for 6 years. So 2 years of actual golf and 31 of swing the club with no clue what I was doing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ever since I started. A little over a year ago I had 4 straight rounds where it almost happened on a par 3 (caught the flag twice, lipped out once, and sucked back to an inch another time). All my friends thought it was going to happen that summer and I really haven't come close ever since.

Forever!!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

47 years and counting. And as I’ve mentioned before, and was telling the 2 guys I played with yesterday, there isn’t any situation you could come up with that hasn’t happened to keep me from getting an ace. Lip outs, flag wraps, pin clankers, in and outs, etc... last straw was a double lip out. Lipped out going toward the hole, then lipped out again as it rolled back down.
I essentially have given up on the idea. I play the shot that the hole calls for- if luck happens, then it happens. If not, I’m not losing any sleep over it. I don’t suddenly play courses with 6 par 3’s, pitch and putts or whatever. You get 2 or 4 shots at most courses and hopefully different clubs to use. These days just hitting more than 2 fairways is more of an accomplishment, so I concentrate on that part of the game.

I do have one but there's a asterisks attached to it.

It was my first and only time playing golf, until I'd pick up the game 6 or 7 years later, and it was on a par 3 course. Legit hole, 160 yards uphill. But again, it was long before I was actually a "golfer."

I've now been playing for nearly 30 years... none. 36 years since that one fluke shot.

I'm 49 and I've never had a HIO.

I've been playing 3 yrs.

Former makes it seem like something that will never happen, the latter not so much.

Statistics can be manipulated to favor perception of a certain outcome.

Before I finally got one, I'd been playing probably 40 years.

Not as lucky as @Scarnici

But ohhh man I thought I had it...IMG_20200926_173025.jpg

47 years and counting. And as I’ve mentioned before, and was telling the 2 guys I played with yesterday, there isn’t any situation you could come up with that hasn’t happened to keep me from getting an ace. Lip outs, flag wraps, pin clankers, in and outs, etc... last straw was a double lip out. Lipped out going toward the hole, then lipped out again as it rolled back down.
I essentially have given up on the idea. I play the shot that the hole calls for- if luck happens, then it happens. If not, I’m not losing any sleep over it. I don’t suddenly play courses with 6 par 3’s, pitch and putts or whatever. You get 2 or 4 shots at most courses and hopefully different clubs to use. These days just hitting more than 2 fairways is more of an accomplishment, so I concentrate on that part of the game.

I can appreciate this. I’ve been playing since 1972 and since I’m the creator of this thread, I’m still without a HIO. But, I’m nearing 60, I play once a week and I can still threaten to break 80 on my best days.

I got my first HIO with five other buddies as witnesses and we were all going to a men's retreat together. So, it got quite a bit of play at the retreat. Not that I minded the attention, but some of the comments intimated that there was way more skill involved than warranted IMHO. So I did a little math and when it came up would comment that I figured out I had played over 18,000 holes golfing. So what this meant was I got 1 out of 18,000 right.

30 years, give or take.

I got my first HIO with five other buddies as witnesses and we were all going to a men's retreat together. So, it got quite a bit of play at the retreat. Not that I minded the attention, but some of the comments intimated that there was way more skill involved than warranted IMHO. So I did a little math and when it came up would comment that I figured out I had played over 18,000 holes golfing. So what this meant was I got 1 out of 18,000 right.

Not quite the average odds as quoted. The odds shouldn’t include anything other than par 3’s. Throw in a few short par 4’s to spice thing up. But- 18,000 holes means 1000 rounds, and figuring 4 par 3’s a round, your odds worked out to about 4000 to 1. Well below the supposed 12,500 to 1 for an “average” golfer.

oh, and I hate you...😛

Not quite the average odds as quoted. The odds shouldn’t include anything other than par 3’s. Throw in a few short par 4’s to spice thing up. But- 18,000 holes means 1000 rounds, and figuring 4 par 3’s a round, your odds worked out to about 4000 to 1. Well below the supposed 12,500 to 1 for an “average” golfer.

oh, and I hate you...😛
Your figuring is all correct and I knew that at the time. But most of the guys I was talking to weren't golfers, so I choose to just give them the number of holes played and not clutter things up.

At the risk of you hating me more...

In the thirteen years since that HIO I've almost doubled the number of holes played. Empty nest is a wonderful time of life.

Outside of putt-putt? All of my life...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 years and counting.

I started when I was 13-14, so 23-24 years. I got really close once!

1 more day added to that watch. Thanks for the reminder!:ROFLMAO:

Back