How many "extra holes" have you played in your golfing career?

blueonblack

...tears on a river
Reaction score
Thought about this when thinking about how many rounds I might play in a year.
If the pro is cool with it, and they let you spin around for a few extra holes, how many rounds would that total up to over the years?
I might have 10%-20% more rounds in my life than I thought? Maybe a lot more... :unsure:

zero extra... call me a wimp or a goody two shoes... usually I feel guilty about it. The one time I wanted to do it we put it to an anonymous vote and i was vetoed.

On slow days at courses where I have some sort of membership, I will usually swing back around the back 9 somewhere before 18. I.e. One course that I play frequently you pass 12 tee on the way to 17. It's easy just to loop back and play 12-16 over. Good fun, this.

I've never done this. I might ask next time I go to the range. You can sneak over to 2 at one of the ranges easily. I could play 2 holes extra after hitting balls no problem.

10-20% would be a fair estimate. I occasionally stay out and play an extra 3 or 4 holes - once in a while even another 9 if the course isn't crowded and the weather is good.

I've played 27 or 36 many times and I guess I've played more than 18 but less than 27 occasionally. Probably doesn't happen but once a year or so, if that.

I'm a member at the club where I play so there's nothing unusual about it. Lots of people do that sort of thing all the time if they feel like it.

I've never done this. I might ask next time I go to the range. You can sneak over to 2 at one of the ranges easily. I could play 2 holes extra after hitting balls no problem.
Oh wow. Just thought about another course now that has a three hole practice loop next to the range. Many holes just on those 3 over the years.

I've always tried to do things when playing extra holes like repair lots of ball marks on the greens, rake bunkers, fill divots, etc.

I'd say not that many... not that it isn't tempting.

Like... 5? At our home course we'd circle back and play 18 again every now and then, but that's it.

Not very many. Usually when I'm done with a round I have had enough.

I play a lot of extra holes. At least a couple of times per week I will practice and then jump on the course if there is an opening to play 3-8 holes. For my flexible but always on schedule, this is a lovely blessing. Course thus far is just fine with this activity. They also know I will simply walk off if my play would interfere with others playing. This is a great privilege, and I treat it with great respect.

Nothing extra for me. I’m actually at a deficit. There have been several times where I paid for 18 but bailed after 9 due to either a terrible day or very slow play.

Nothing extra for me. I’m actually at a deficit. There have been several times where I paid for 18 but bailed after 9 due to either a terrible day or very slow play.
Hadn't thought of that angle. Reducing holes/rounds slightly... :unsure:;)

Only remember doing it once. The assistant pro was in our foursome and suggested we replay 17 and 18 to settle the tie (informal 2 man $cramble). We should've said no because they birdied both holes:beat-up:

Never gave it any thought, many time I guess, the course where I have a membership could care less.
I do have a favorite par 3 at another course that my group has detoured to play over a couple of times, I enjoy this par 3 so much I could play it 18 times and call it a great round. Again the course could care less.

Saturdays quota game we play 18. Then as long as we have enough guys, usually 7 or more we play another 9 and each pay for the extra 9. 27 is perfect.

Until I joined a semi-private club, zero. Don't ever remember playing extra holes without paying for replay. Not a stickler, don't care what others do, I just honestly never considered more without paying.

Now, with membership? As long as my back is stable, an extra few or 9 is routine so long as I (we) aren't holding anyone up. I can't do another 18, most holes I've played in a day over the last dozen or so years, is 31. Just a couple weeks ago.

With a healthy back, I'd play 36 most days!

I live right on my home course. 17 is in my back yard. I put my shoes on, throw my bag on my shoulders, and go play 5-8 holes on the back 9 all the time without checking in to the shop.

We have 3 nines at our club. When playing one of the nines you have to pass holes 8 & 9 of another to get to it. Sometimes on my way back and want to try to correct something I have been doing wrong or possibly just keep playing because things are going well, I will play #8 & 9 on my way back in. Providing of course no one is on 7 and I won't be holding anyone up.

Our league course allows us to play extra holes for free after we are done. Sometimes we get 9 in, sometimes only a couple depending on time of year and where we tee off in the league rotation. That being said over the last 5 years using 7 holes an estimate per week, I'd say I've played an extra 70 9 hole rounds :oops:

Reminds me of a story...spent the front 9 of a round following a very slow group and although we were obviously waiting on every shot, this group would not let us play through. Making the turn, we decided to jump ahead to 11 since there was now a gap of a couple of holes due to this slow group. Finished on 18 and headed to 10 to complete our round. The pro shop guy comes hustling out and in a condescending way asks “you guys getting in a few extra holes?” :rolleyes: Had to explain what was going on...
I’m guessing “a few extra holes” there may have been a no-no. :ROFLMAO:

Man, quite a bit. Although in my defense, my membership is called "unlimited."

I live on the course, and I sneak out to the hole we live on and chip/putt just about every night. There's a little 5 hole loop around our house that I'll hit when I don't have time for a full round also. When I play full rounds, I like to hit the range and practice green first so I'll drive up to the clubhouse to start - but when I'm done I'll usually play from 1 back to where we live. So, I probably play as much extra golf as I do regular golf all said and done.

I didn't think of any "cheating" of the course's revenues when I posted this. (y)
Usually, these scenarios have only happened where I know the pro or course owner very well.
Fall golf is great, as there are times no one is out there.
I didn't even think about playing 2 balls when posting this. Total back up a touch more.... :unsure:

Back