Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters

TJRyska

#LivingtheDream
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.5
I searched to see if someone has asked this before, but didn't see a thread. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I am curious. How much is too much for a driver? Prices seem to go up $50 to $100 every year. Is there a cutoff for you? If new drivers hit this number will you stop buying them?

I've got to think they're going to surpass $600 within the next year or two.

Don’t think I can answer with a dollar amount. It’s subjective and performance-based for me.

Titleist or Callaway already have a 'premium' option (basically putting a GD shaft in) for $749
Doesn’t every OEM offer this?

I said $500, but I'm cheap frugal about what I buy.

The number is based on budget, but I would not pay much for marginal gains in distance nor accuracy. There would have to be a significant benefit like 10+ yards in distance or a 20 yard tighter dispersion.

thinking back on it, i don't think I've ever bought a new driver :unsure:

I voted for $600 and above. $500 is too rich for my budget but that seems to be the market rate for a brand new driver.

thinking back on it, i don't think I've ever bought a new driver :unsure:
Same here, closest I've been was the B21 I grabbed in August last year. That was the first current model release I had ever purchased, but I bought one used off eBay.

It’s kind of like a new pickup truck. Once you’ve hit a price where you are afraid to use it, it’s too much. But if it’s the right one…skys the limit

I consider a driver and shaft upgrade 2 different purchases. The OEM drivers going over $500 is concerning but I get it. R&D and marketing are expensive. I would say at this point I am not an early adopter at over $600 for off the rack price.

Same here, closest I've been was the B21 I grabbed in August last year. That was the first current model release I had ever purchased, but I bought one used off eBay.
Then I bought it from you. Still works great.

Then I bought it from you. Still works great.
I agree, it was the best driver I'd ever owned at the time. I made some wholesale swing changes that I think have improved my overall game but didn't translate well to the B21. It makes me very happy that it landed in good hands :D

$500 for a stock offering is pretty steep. If you need upgraded shafts that can get to be a lot more expensive. If you bought new every year you could easily have $3 to 4K in golf clubs depending on the OEM and which clubs you buy. The transition from a box set to a good set you are fit for can really hurt your wallet. I think that area of the market could be much better served TBH.

I'm in the market for a new driver and already gravitating to the clubs under the $500 mark -- and I have $300 in gift cards. I can't justify spending $500+ on one club when I have a functional 6 year old driver.

I'm in the market for a new driver and already gravitating to the clubs under the $500 mark -- and I have $300 in gift cards. I can't justify spending $500+ on one club when I have a functional 6 year old driver.
Thankfully there are some really good options in the sub-$400 range, Tour Edge is probably the top there but Ben Hogan, Sub70 etc al all are good big stick options at easier to swallow prices

I think $500 is too much for a stock driver. For a fitted driver, with a premium shaft, I'll pay whatever if the performance warrants a change.

Tough to put a number on this for me. I don’t think there is a price point that won’t have some segment of the market, just might not be the largest one (like that Homna Beres). If people want something bad enough they will find a way to pay for it.

Thankfully there are some really good options in the sub-$400 range, Tour Edge is probably the top there but Ben Hogan, Sub70 etc al all are good big stick options at easier to swallow prices
My gift cards are for Dick's/Golf Galaxy which limits my selections (as well as being left handed). I think Cobra and some of the year-old models are priced competitively at least.

Limit? No such thing. Drivers used to cost $12 decades ago. The cost of living has gone up since then……

i don't have a limit because i'm not forced to buy anything. if a $600 driver is great today, it will be great next year when something new is released and this year's model decreases in price. or even further reduced the year after that.

driver tech isn't changing so much that we need to upgrade every year. the tech is undoubtedly changing and improving, but you can still game an older model and have great success.

Back