Votes: 16 14.2%
  • $1000+

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • $300

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • $400

Votes: 10 8.8%

• Total voters
Different head shaft combinations produce different results for different people, wouldn’t you say?
How much difference was there between you Club Champion and Granddaddy fitting?
About a year and probably ~5mph more clubhead speed that I picked up during that time. I was fit into the Mavrik Sub Zero and the Rogue ST TD, so that was fairly comparable. Got fit into a fancy LA Golf shaft in the Mavrik and the stock Tensei AV White shaft in the Rogue.

😆 It was the same LA Golf shaft with two different heads in Club Champion. My badly self-fit gamer fared better than a few of the heads. Safe to say we found a combo that outperformed the rest.
Do you mind telling us how much an LA Golf shaft costs? I’d imagine somewhere between $3-400? Let’s say I went into Club Champion, and got fit for a new Rogue or Stealth driver with that shaft. Am I leaving with it for under $1000?

Do you mind telling us how much an LA Golf shaft costs? I’d imagine somewhere between $3-400? Let’s say I went into Club Champion, and got fit for a new Rogue or Stealth driver with that shaft. Am I leaving with it for under $1000?
Oh gosh I doubt it. Probably in that 3-4 range. I didn’t entertain it as we made some tweaks to my Mavrik Max and optimized those numbers instead. I was mostly there to get fit for wedges and just see what a fitting was like, plus with a new fitted driver coming in less than a year I couldn’t justify that kind of purchase even with trading in my driver. But had I not been getting a new driver the following year I would have gone all-in on that combo. We found a fit where I could get aggressive with my swing and not get punished with my usual left of left miss. It would have been well worth the money!

If it means a couple less Big Mac's a week for a few months/years, then why not.

Oh gosh I doubt it. Probably in that 3-4 range. I didn’t entertain it as we made some tweaks to my Mavrik Max and optimized those numbers instead. I was mostly there to get fit for wedges and just see what a fitting was like, plus with a new fitted driver coming in less than a year I couldn’t justify that kind of purchase even with trading in my driver. But had I not been getting a new driver the following year I would have gone all-in on that combo. We found a fit where I could get aggressive with my swing and not get punished with my usual left of left miss. It would have been well worth the money!
I agree with you. Just because I mentioned the merits of a $300 driver, it doesn’t mean if someone showed me a combination that could give me 15-20 yards, I would spend the money for it also.
Just knowing my club was optimized to my potential would end up saving me $$$$, because I wouldn’t be chasing numbers for a couple years.

I’m right around that $500 mark. That feels like a fair bit to spend on one club… now that said, fully admit I’d spend more if a premium shaft gave me better numbers.

I’d say $500 USD net when you factor in trade, taxes, etc. I am probably in future going to split my driver purchase between the head and shaft and keep those purchases separately.

I will be willing to pay a little more for tech advances but honestly not more than $500. I'd rather not buy a new driver at that price.

Really not going to pay 500 for a new driver, even 400.00 is on the edge for me. The only new one I bought was the Radspeed early last year which I had a trade in to the local pro shop and got it at a steal. Also way too many good used drivers out there to be had for great prices.

No disrespect meant at all with your non-answer, but you do get a discount from at least some manufacturers for all of your balanced contributions to this forum, right? Again, I really respect all you do for us and I have zero problems with that, if that is the situation, because it is well deserved. I am envious. Thanks for all you do!
I think @Jman gets a few clubs for review, but also he buys a lot of stuff out of pocket at full price and then reviews that too.

My last driver was $323 brand new at cost from a buddy who rant a shop. I'll be shopping used or some kind of discount as $500+ is too much for me

I put down $700. Yet I just spend almost that on a new driver because of the shaft. And if I didn’t have lots of hotel points to cash out for Callaway gift cards I would have never spent the money for sure.

I do the stupid mental game of considering the net price after I sell my old driver. Used club prices have kept my out of pocket spend somewhat reasonable. I am not at the point where I could see anything over $350 net out of pocket as worth it. For every driver I've gotten horny about over the last few years, very few of them are actually worth it. (If I did it all over again, I never would have gotten rid of the PING G400 Max I bought years ago).

No disrespect meant at all with your non-answer, but you do get a discount from at least some manufacturers for all of your balanced contributions to this forum, right? Again, I really respect all you do for us and I have zero problems with that, if that is the situation, because it is well deserved. I am envious. Thanks for all you do!
No, I pay full price when I buy a club.

I think @Jman gets a few clubs for review, but also he buys a lot of stuff out of pocket at full price and then reviews that too.
This. ❤

Im a club ho with a wife that understands I could be addicted to far worse things haha

I feel like we are there now. I understand the engineering and the r&d and marketing raises prices but it's a tough pill to swallow at 500 to 600 for a driver without a fitting or upgraded shaft for that money.

Golf equipment is much easier to buy and cheaper than it was before eBay and other sites like CPO. When Callaway released the GBB in 1996 the retail price was $499, about $820 in todays dollars and it was next to impossible to find a deal on a used one until a year or two later. Contrast that to now; I was able to pick up a like new Cobra RADSpeed last May a few months after release for $345 on eBay. A slightly used Maverick can be bought with little effort for about $200-$240 right now. The simple fact is, it's much easier now to buy great equipment at affordable prices compared to 25 years ago.

I need another option... because when the Mrs said "I need (not want) a new driver, we're heading out to get me fit this afternoon", there is no limit.

Would that actually be a "yes dear" option to pick?

I feel like we are there now. I understand the engineering and the r&d and marketing raises prices but it's a tough pill to swallow at 500 to 600 for a driver without a fitting or upgraded shaft for that money.
The irony is 599 isn’t a new price point at all. It’s been around many times before the past 20 years.

Looking at the Golftown Canada site we have from top to bottom by UNdiscounted price (aka: what they are listing as not last year's model on sale):
  1. Stealth Plus $780
  2. TSi $750
  3. Stealth $750
  4. G425 $730
  5. Rogue ST/Epic Speed $700
  6. ZX7 $700
  7. LTDx $650
  8. ZX5 $650
  9. STz/STx $550
  10. Launcher XL $530
Based on this list, I would only be looking at the Mizuno/Cleveland line but really I would be looking at previous year models if they had the right combo - which we know won't happen, especially if we want to be fitted. Drivers prices make me :sick:

The prices of drivers will never exceed what the market will bear. So long as enough people are willing to spend $XXX dollars for a driver, that will be the price. "Too much" will always be a different value for everyone you ask. (which, it seems, is what you've done here)

Could I pay more than $500 for a new driver? Sure.
Would I pay more than $500 for a new driver? Not likely.

My G30 still works just fine for me, so I'm not in the market anyway.

The irony is 599 isn’t a new price point at all. It’s been around many times before the past 20 years.
I remember the R11 and Big Bertha in the mid 2010's were like 399 I thought that was about max where the market would go.

Edit: Ping and Titleist were the ones always 50ish more though.

I remember the R11 and Big Bertha in the mid 2010's were like 399 I thought that was about max where the market would go.

Edit: Ping and Titleist were the ones always 50ish more though.
Taylormade has been at 599 before, fwiw.

Taylormade has been at 599 before, fwiw.
And this is why I am always playing older equipment, its rough out here lol.

Back