How old are your clubs?

How old are your clubs? (On average)

• Shiny New!

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • 1-3 years, keeping up with technology.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • 3-8 years, Momma has me on a budget.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • 8-15 years, replace as needed.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • 15-25 years, they still work. Sometimes.

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 25-35 years, eh….so what.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 35+ where’s my mashie?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Driver, Titleist 975D, 1998-2001
Irons, Ben Hogan 1998 Apex (I used to play Hogan Apex Red Lines, 1988, but gave those up last year)
Wedges, Titleist Vokey, recent
Putter, Ping G2 Tess, 2008

1-3 years on average (voted accordingly), but it's a mix. I play around 30-40 rounds a year plus probably around 10-15 practice sessions.

Driver: New to me, but 1 year old release. Only has 5 rounds on it!
3W: 2016 release (6 years). I've had the club for 5 years but it's been in/out of the bag, probably 100-120 rounds.
5W: New to me, but 1 year old release. Only has 5 rounds on it!
4H: A little under a year old, 1 year old release. About 20 rounds on it.
Irons: Brand spanking new! Only have 5 rounds on them.
Wedges: 2016 release (6 years). Just actually put a fresh set in so they only have 5 rounds on them.
Putter: Both of my options are about 10 years old based on release.

I voted 25-35 years. Have not played in about 30 years. I’ve been taking lessons and plan to replace everything in the next 2 weeks.

I hear a lot of talk about how much technology has changed with clubs, what type of practical differences are there between 2002 irons and 2022 irons? I’m not suggesting there aren’t any, just genuinely curious.

Driver is only a few months old thanks to THP and the holiday giveaways.

Irons, wedges, and putter are from last year.

I've had my irons 3 years but they were the previous year's model... does that make them 4?

Putter: 2006 (16 years old)
Wedges: 2018 (4years old)
Irons: 2011 (12 years old)
Fairway Woods: 2006 (16 years old)
Driver: 2018 (4 years old

The driver (Callaway Rogue) has been put up against newer drivers several times and has won out. Quite convincingly over the new Rogue…

I hear a lot of talk about how much technology has changed with clubs, what type of practical differences are there betweent 2002 irons and 2022 irons? I’m not suggesting there aren’t any, just genuinely curious.
As a gamer of players forged blades, not a lot. For game improvement cavity backs there’s been enormous advances in club head design to optimise launch conditions and forgiveness for the average golfer.

Putter: 2006 (16 years old)
Wedges: 2018 (4years old)
Irons: 2011 (12 years old)
Fairway Woods: 2006 (16 years old)
Driver: 2018 (4 years old

The driver (Callaway Rogue) has been put up against newer drivers several times and has won out. Quite convincingly over the new Rogue…
I also have an original Rogue and use it occasionally. It is a solid driver and a bit under appreciated (IMO) the year it was released. One thing I really like about it is the sound feedback. You instantly know if you've hit center or not. My TEE driver is more forgiving so it's my gamer but the Rogue is a close second.

I selected 1-3 years but I really have a mix with irons being one year-old, putter about two years although driver, utility woods and wedges are all new this year. I think my bag is set for quite awhile.

Irons, Gap Wedge, and Putter are 2 years old.
Driver and two hybrids one year old
Sand and Lob wedges new this year.

All but the one of the hybrids and the two new wedges are thanks to :thp: 😀

I hear a lot of talk about how much technology has changed with clubs, what type of practical differences are there between 2002 irons and 2022 irons? I’m not suggesting there aren’t any, just genuinely curious.

I’ll usually pick up things that are “newer”technology than what I have, but not the newest on the block. Putters and wedges are putters and wedges, IMHO. I have no reason to change anything as far as they go and won’t. Whatever “era” of equipment sells for 25% of retail is where I shop. Not paying $600 for a new driver.

I do think there’s a little head games though. New set of irons that someone is excited about and now he or she is practicing 3x as much and seeing improvements. Must be the new clubs not the practice!

4-5 months max 😁

I posted shiny new, but...
The Last set I had since 92...

New. Why? Because I like shiny and it’s fun.

Driver-1 year
3w- 6 years
hybrid=4 years
Utility= 1 year
irons- 3 years but the first 2 years I missed a lot of golf because of surgeries
wedges - new
Putter- 1 year
Bag- new

Oldest club in my bag are my MG2 wedges from 2 years ago I’m pretty sure. Everything else I have gotten within the last year

FW & Irons - 2019
Hybrids - 2020
Driver - 2020
Wedges - 2018, 2019, 2020
Putter - 2011
Driver headcover - 2014
Bag - 2014

Less than 6 months old, except for my Ben Hogan GS53 3 wood.

Just got my new Taylormade Stealth irons today to replace my 8 year old Titleist AP2 irons. I can't wait to use them tomorrow afternoon!

Where are my fellow Dave Ramsey people at?

I upgraded my irons and bag when I retired two years ago and had a proper fitting. My putter is at least 10 years old. My driver and 3wood I bought used but looked brand new from Golf Galaxy. I can't see changing anything for a few years.

Back