How to save a grip?

TCB2010

How good do the HMB’s look?!
Reaction score
Piggy backing off 3 minute Thursday.
I had watched a couple videos on this last night honest to pete sake.
Any tips and tricks you all might have?

The grip I have is a medium matador that I'd like to take off and save.
Items I have to work with- air compressor and nozzle, grip solvent, vice, vice clamp.

What I don't have is a V-groove and wonder if there's anything out there at home depot that can be potentially used. I really don't want to use a coat hanger as I've seen..

I've pulled off putter grips using WD40 and an air compressor. I shove the tube from the WD40 as far up as I can while spraying a generous amount of WD40. Then gently blow the grip off. I will twist the grip some with my hands to help loosen the grip tape.

Wear safety glasses and gloves.

I've pulled off putter grips using WD40 and an air compressor. I shove the tube from the WD40 as far up as I can while spraying a generous amount of WD40. Then gently blow the grip off. I will twist the grip some with my hands to help loosen the grip tape.

Wear safety glasses and gloves.
Do you shove the the tube in from the hole in the butt end or the other end in between shaft and grip?

Do you shove the the tube in from the hole in the butt end or the other end in between shaft and grip?
Good question. The end in between the shaft and grip. Stick your nozzle from the air compressor in the hole at the butt end.

I’ve removed a fair number with solvent and a bent wire. Insert wire a little from the bottom end, add solvent and massage... slide wire up further, more solvent and massage... Just take your time to avoid stretching.

I'm sure @JB is busy but maybe he has an awesome video from the tech studio with his awesome club making setup?

Take it to church?

You could use a coat hanger but don’t do that if it’s graphite. 🤮

Flip the club over so the butt is on the ground. Coat hanger under the top of the grip, funnel solvent down and just work the hanger down and around the shaft. Pretty simple from there

Golfworks grip removal tool works great !grip removal tool.png

I’ve never had any luck with the air compressor, and solvent trick. I seem to either just deform the grip to no return with air, or cause a blow out. So as someone else said, wear safety glasses and gloves.

Perhaps I’m doing it wrong, but grips are cheap. Just cut the thing off. Will save you time and aggravation.

Yup, used this and a lot of solvent without really knowing what I was doing and able to save and resume my Cobra putter grip.

was going to tag you, but I’m hit or miss on keeping up

Back