How was your golf game when you were 13 years old?

All about fun. the best I had ever shot to that point was a 44. not sure if I had ever broken 100. This is all playing from the correct tees.

that's absolutely unreal.

Didn't pick up the game until I was 18-19 so... probably awful

My golf game started at 15. It consisted of:

- A red Wilson staff bag from the 50’s with leather as stiff and cracked as an old lady’s dried up foot
- Spaulding blade irons that when hit would send a vibration through my entire body. They weighed about 150 grams and felt like a telephone pole
- No name persimmon woods with a sweet spot the size of a dime
- Every grip was dry rotted and had to be the original grip when my grandfather bough the set in the mid-1950s
- Old hand me down balata balls from my grandfather that were about as round as an egg
- A putter with a bamboo shaft

My grandpa taught me the game and when I complained about my gear, my grandfather would tell me to shut up, hit the ball and be glad I wasn’t in Northern Africa fighting the krauts (No offense to any Germans).

He was a rare bird. Typical conversation as time went by.

1980s
Him - What you shooting these days?
Me - Mid-90s
Him - you’re probably not putting everything out

1990s
Me - Mid-80s
Him - probably using your foot wedge

2000s
Me - Mid 70s
Him - how many Mulligans in that round

But wouldn’t change it for anything.

Last edited:
Wish I would have been playing at that age! Well done to him!

About a 5 year golfing 'veteran' when i was 13; freshman in high school, shooting in the 90s

At 13, I was finally able to hit a driver and get the ball in the air. It's certainly when my love for the game took off, but I was nowhere near qualifying for the US Open.

~Rock

My mini golf skills were 🔥. Did not pick up a club until sophomore year of college.

didn't pick up a club until i was about 23. i played baseball and tennis in high school

When I was thirteen I had delusions of grandeur that I would play in the Majors for the Yankees. I dId not play golf until I was 21 and then not very frequent.

Probably breaking 100 for the first time then.

Non-existent. Was playing tournament paintball.

Not nearly that good. I shot in the 80s on occasion but I stopped playing much after that year because the local 9 hole course closed.

That's about the age when my dad put me in a group kids lesson. I enjoyed it, but golf didn't take off for me at that point. I played a few times over a few years. I remember scores in the mid 90s, but I guarantee those included gimme putts, rules flexibility, and so on. :D I was more into other summer activities like baseball, canoeing, swimming, dirt bikes, girls, ... I either needed a good mentor to help me engage in golf or some friends who played or some girl I liked who played. Without any of those, golf would just have to wait until a much older version of me found the passion.

Didn't play golf when I was a kid, I spent most of my time surfing when I was a teenager, and was pretty good at baseball and football as far as more conventional sports were concerned. Started golfing when I was well into my 30s, really off and on until the last 15 years or so, and I still suck.

Probably scoring in the 100-110 range. I didn‘t play much as a kid - maybe 5 times a year max. I don’t remember any rounds very well but I do remember breaking 100 for the first time when I was 14.

I started at 11, and it came naturally. I can't say for sure where I was at 13, but at 14 I played on the HS golf team as a freshman. I shot a 1-over 73 in a high school match against Coffee County GA HS, a team that featured a senior, future PGA pro Lyn Lott, and by seasons' end was #2 man on the team.

Played only nine hols at a time, couldn't break 50.

I was probably around 13 when a coworker of my dad’s gave him some old clubs. I have no idea what they were except that they were persimmon woods and old blade style irons. I was home alone during the summer one day and bored, so I grabbed the driver and a handful of balls from the shed.

We lived in a subdivision with 1/4 acre or so lots. I teed one up and hit it over the house behind ours. No idea where it went, but there’s a decent chance it hit somebody’s house or car. The next one was about the same. The third one I caught thin. It probably never got more than 10 feet off the ground and went through the sliding glass door of the house behind ours.

I grabbed the two balls that were left, the club, and the tee and ran inside the house. I stashed it all under my bed and left the house in case anybody came knocking. I walked around for an hour or so, then went back home. I put on a pair of jeans and a baggy shirt. I put the driver down the leg of the pants and walked it back out to the shed. Not long after a cop came knocking. He asked if I’d been hitting balls and I lied. Told him that I had been inside when I heard something hit the house. Said I went outside and found the dog chewing on a golf ball.

He left, and I thought I was in the clear. Turns out he came back later that evening when my parents were home. My dad asked me about it that night and I gave him ten same bogus story.

Fast forward about 15 years when I was a married man (I mean...I still am, but was then as well). My wife ratted me out to my dad. He confirmed what I always figured. He didn’t really believe me at the time, but I was always a good enough kid that I deserved the benefit of the doubt. Talk about feeling about two inches tall.

So yeah...that’s what my game was at 13. I didn’t touch a club for about a dozen years after that.

never played a until mid 20s , iregularly then. Stopped playing for a number of years ( work family etc ) rejoined the cult hahah, approx late 40 s ,,, incurable fascination and enthusiasm for this game of mental disintegration and physical abnormality 😩😏🏌🏼

I was still just hacking around with my old man. Scores were high, but needless to say I was considerably more flexible and didn't need a long hot soak in a bath when I finished :LOL:

I think my goal at 13 was to break 40 for nine holes. Meanwhile, watching Tiger's son in that Father/Son tournament, I gotta think that kid is a chip off the old block!

Never took up the game until I was 32. :(

Back