How would you play this hole - #10 lost dunes

Davidhibler

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I've been obsessed lately with this course, and the hole that scares me the most is #10.

Not sure what tees we are playing, so I just set it to the blues. 1 up.

Screenshot_20210917-143142_TheGrint.jpg

I know @PackersGirl thinks she knows how I'd play it...but I'm not really sure what my strategy will be.

How are you playing it?

My plan would be to draw a driver off the FW bunker then play my second to the right side of the green.

Think I would take the wimp way, left corner in 2 and a easy wedge across. 😎

Last edited:
Fade driver, a slice miss doesn't look too bad.
Lay up in front of the water on the right side of the FW at ~120 from the hole, forget the shorter approach on the left side, too touchy over the water, and the miss long from that angle looks really bad, it's a trap.
Plenty of green to miss long or short from the front side angle, more water to carry but I'm good with that with a full swing.

The stress-free route would be three-shot hole:

Tee shot: 4-wood short/left of the RH fairway bunker
2nd shot: whatever club puts me into the fat part of the finger in the upper left fairway
3rd shot: wedge over the narrow, LH-third of the pond, onto the green
Make putt for birdie

Ordinarily I would take driver and try to squeeze a fade between the pond and the fw bunker, then have a hybrid or 5i into the green. The flyover video on the website really has me second guessing this approach. I may lay up to a 120-130 number just to take the water out of play.

Think I would take the wimp way,eft corner in 2 and a easy wedge across. 😎
If I hit a decent drive, I've got 200-ish in. Don't know that I can not go for it. If I have more than say, 220+, I'm probably laying up because I don't have confidence in a club that would get there.

I'm hitting driver for sure, a good drive and I will carry the bunkers into the wider landing zone and be able to comfortably go for it in 2. If I have my usual miss and block it right it's still a pretty straight forward lay up and wedge in. I miss left 10-15% of the time so the risk is worth it for me.

Driver off the tee about 215 - 220. Lay up to the water because I have nothing that can carry the water. Then onto the green.

Wait wait wait ... hold up @Davidhibler You're using THP to Caddie for you, this isn't fair at all. First off, this is a friendly game and I promise you'll lose no more than a few thousand with our bets during the rounds.

Secondly, this is genius - we should see if we can do what others suggest, within our skill set.

Third - and to answer the question, what do you think it's 400 to the water? I can't get there in 2, it just won't be possible. If I get a good drive and a good follow up shot that should put me close to the non-green side of the water. From there I would need to wedge over it, absolute best case scenario I get to the green in 3 - more likely and reasonable I get to the water in 3 and then get over onto the green, if that's a good hit then it's a 2 putt in if it's a bad spot it's a hit onto the green and a 2 putt.

Wait wait wait ... hold up @Davidhibler You're using THP to Caddie for you, this isn't fair at all. First off, this is a friendly game and I promise you'll lose no more than a few thousand with our bets during the rounds.

Secondly, this is genius - we should see if we can do what others suggest, within our skill set.

Third - and to answer the question, what do you think it's 400 to the water? I can't get there in 2, it just won't be possible. If I get a good drive and a good follow up shot that should put me close to the non-green side of the water. From there I would need to wedge over it, absolute best case scenario I get to the green in 3 - more likely and reasonable I get to the water in 3 and then get over onto the green, if that's a good hit then it's a 2 putt in if it's a bad spot it's a hit onto the green and a 2 putt.

This is the type of hole that is HARD for me to resist the hero shot.

Plan:
Full go driver, further it goes, the wider it is.
6i give or take in
2 putt birdie

Execution:
Full go driver, hooked into water.
Drop.
Still 260 out so 8i layup to 100yd
Wedge, scared to hook into water again So stop on it and leave it right.
Chunk a chip
2 putt double

I'm sorry - what's my FF name?

You're talking my language now - I'm hero shots FOR DAYS! The problem is, I'm totally fishing in that hole, it's not a distance I can cover. In theory if I hit a banger of a drive with the wind at my back and a bounce from the creator himself I'll go 280, then and ONLY THEN can I have a prayer of getting it over in two.

Plan:
6i give or take in
2 putt birdie

Execution:
Drop.
Chunk a chip
2 putt double

That's exactly how it goes in reality. Watch @Davidhibler go water left - re-tee water left, lay up with his 3w, try the hero shot water, say bad hit ... let me try again water then he'll just carry his ball over to the green and foot putt it in for a 13 since his clubs have been thrown into the lake via temper tantrum! @PackersGirl Please tell me that I'm close! Please!

I hit a draw, so I would start it at the left side of the bunker. A good drive ends up way down there, and a block is still ok to lay up. Have to aim far enough right to avoid the water on the more left miss. Then see where you end up and go from there.

Call me a wuss but I'm going...
Driver which will go 220-250 and leave me shy of the trap on the right even if I slice a bit.
Whatever iron puts me to 100-110 so that I can play my Gap Wedge (my favorite club in my bag) to the green.

Plan:
6i give or take in
2 putt birdie

Execution:
Drop.
Chunk a chip
2 putt double

Plan to hit driver off the tee. If I am in good position, I'll go for it. If not, Iayup left preferably to 90 yards.

Call me a wuss but I'm going...
Driver which will go 220-250 and leave me shy of the trap on the right even if I slice a bit.
Whatever iron puts me to 100-110 so that I can play my Gap Wedge (my favorite club in my bag) to the green.
That's best case scenario for me as well. Push the yardages back a few my GW only does like 70 it's more PW territory to me with a solid strike.

That's exactly how it goes in reality. Watch @Davidhibler go water left - re-tee water left, lay up with his 3w, try the hero shot water, say bad hit ... let me try again water then he'll just carry his ball over to the green and foot putt it in for a 13 since his clubs have been thrown into the lake via temper tantrum! @PackersGirl Please tell me that I'm close! Please!

Lol!! Close!! Here's how I see it playing out....miss right, fairway bunker. Hero shot 5w, greenside bunker. Cheer loudly with a few F-bombs because he made it without going in the water. Out of the bunker, 2 putt for par. He could 1 putt for birdie and it wouldn't surprise me though.
His misses are always right so this hole works for him. 🤣

4w off tee. Hybrid-ish to water on the left. Wedge to middle of the green. Three putt.

:(

Back