How would you play this hole?

Driver into the valley, then wedge it on.

Probably try to get 100ish out to hit a wedge of some sort. If I liked my full swing play that day I might not bite as much off during the tee shot. Biggest concern I have is being too close to the green and handcuffing myself.

Probably going hybrid or 5i giving myself a 8/9 into the green.

I'd be good to keep it before the valley and play a PW in.

Probably try to get 100ish out to hit a wedge of some sort. If I liked my full swing play that day I might not bite as much off during the tee shot. Biggest concern I have is being too close to the green and handcuffing myself.
100 yards out puts you on a sidehill/downhill lie entering valley.

Smooth 3 hybrid to 135 out. 9 iron to the green and 1 putt.

Hard to see how deep the valley is from above. How far in front of the green does the valley end? Is it possible for a big drive to catch the upslope of the valley or even clear it? At only 345, I'm probably hitting driver to get as close to the green as possible. If there is any wind at the back, I'm definitely teeing it high and trying to carry it as far as I can.

Hard to see how deep the valley is from above. How far in front of the green does the valley end? Is it possible for a big drive to catch the upslope of the valley or even clear it? At only 345, I'm probably hitting driver to get as close to the green as possible. If there is any wind at the back, I'm definitely teeing it high and trying to carry it as far as I can.
Unless you can carry it 325 plus you'll hit into steep face leading up to green and you'll wind up at bottom of valley. I had 345 to the center when we tee'd off. I would guess you're 20' below surface of green at bottom of valley.

Probably hit driver and get as close as possible. If I don't like the way hole suits my eye from the tee, I would hit 4w.

Probably hit driver and get as close as possible. If I don't like the way hole suits my eye from the tee, I would hit 4w.
I've seen your tee ball, hug the left side and you may be able to run it up close. Anything left of center will get swallowed up by valley.

I've seen your tee ball, hug the left side and you may be able to run it up close. Anything left of center will get swallowed up by valley.

That would be the ideal place, but even if it ends up in valley, from a close-ish distance I am ok with being only able to see the top of the flag.

Driver, wedge...closer is almost always better for me.

If wider, more forgiving Id go driver but this looks a bit tight and given the distance i see no reason for driver. Probably 4h or 5w would be my choice to about 200 to 220 and leaving my a pw, 9, or 8i for the approach. But who knows while live and in person it may appear more inviting for a 3w or driver than what it looks form the pic.

As per listed distance, I'd want to go 5i/then PW to the elevated green. But if 5i off the tee may leave me with a downhill lie if I don't stay short or get the roll down into the valley, then I'd likely go 2H into the valley, GW in. 6i off the tee also a consideration. Driver wouldn't seem to offer me any advantage so I'd rule it out.

I would hit driver to valley. Then hit a wedge on taking a little extra with the uphill green.

100 yards out puts you on a sidehill/downhill lie entering valley.

I guess I would either want to be at the bottom of the valley or before the valley starts then. 215 off the tee would leave a flighted shot in. Bottom of the valley depending on how uphill it is could be a possible up and down situation. The main thing is having a relatively flat lie going to the green since this feels like a hole that is a straightforward par.

3-wood, pw.

Seems pretty straight.

Driver, wedge...closer is almost always better for me.

Same here. I don't see that driver brings any additional trouble into play - it looks like a pretty straight hole that is somewhat tree-line the whole way. And I'm way more likely to hit the green with a SW or GW than I am with an 8 or 9 iron.

I'm thinking I would hit a 4-hybrid and then probably an 8-iron to the green

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

Ditto, the blindness of the 2nd wouldn't bother me.

Me neither. I’d go 3 wood and likely a SW or LW for my second. The last course I was a member at was super hilly and had a few holes with over 100 feet of elevation change. Being able to see the top of the flag makes the approach shot easy.

Unless you can carry it 325 plus you'll hit into steep face leading up to green and you'll wind up at bottom of valley. I had 345 to the center when we tee'd off. I would guess you're 20' below surface of green at bottom of valley.

Hmm, if it is that deep, then I would probably lay back unless there is a strong breeze at the back.

Hmm, if it is that deep, then I would probably lay back unless there is a strong breeze at the back.

I'm not long. I hit my drive 261 which left me 84 to the flag. Pretty good size area in the valley, guessing 35 yards front to back. I wound up near side (towards teebox) side of valley.

I'm not long. I hit my drive 261 which left me 84 to the flag. Pretty good size area in the valley, guessing 35 yards front to back. I wound up near side (towards teebox) side of valley.
So, safe to say 100 yards in would be short of the valley? That would be a reasonable spot to aim for. From there, should be able to see and attack the pin.

So, safe to say 100 yards in would be short of the valley? That would be a reasonable spot to aim for. From there, should be able to see and attack the pin.
Probably anything closer than 125 in you'll start to have downhill/sidehill lie leading into valley. When I hit 3i I was just before crest of hill and had 145 in. Nice flat lie to hit from but nuked 8i over the green onto next tee box.

Back